• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

CLS 350 - MB Recalls

clk2002

Car
Mercedes CLS AMG 350
Recently purchased a CLS 350 2015 model. Purchased from MB dealer with a warranty - truly stunning car but has come with a few problems:

1. 2 MB recalls one of which took 13 weeks to resolve as it required a new steering rack and the other is still outstanding and is likely to take months (radar sensor)
2. Engine management light been on twice, once for a NoX sensor and then for an AdBlue problem. Both being taken care of under the warranty

All in all I am happy with the purchase but there does seem to be a long delay getting spare parts these days and the guy at the main dealer says it will be like this for quite some time. Thankfully I had the warranty otherwise would probably have been out of pocket a few quid.

Supply chain disruption is widespread and goes beyond the often mentioned chip shortages. I waited almost a year for a sticker to go in the fuel flap of my car.

Hopefully you get a radar sensor quicker than my Dad. It took over a year to get one for his C Class.

Hopefully you get a radar sensor quicker than my Dad. It took over a year to get one for his C Class.
I raised a formal complaint with MB customer services and got a result. It took two attempts but on the second attempt the elusive steering rack suddenly arrived at the approved repairer and they cracked on. I am going to leave it 1 more month then follow suit with the radar sensor.

I know there are supply chain issues globally but this is just inefficient by MB - they should be able to repair a fault that they have known about for such a long time. The moment someone has a crash they will be in court faster than you can say "sensor".

You will probably be back to the dealer a time or two before the radar sensor arrives so you can ask them then!!!.....you have an AdBlue car!!

Sorry....Ill get my coat!!! ;)

I’m waiting for one too - just a week so far but based on this could be a while… the third time in 3 years one has gone. At least I don’t have lane keeping assist scaring me occasionally.

I’m waiting for one too - just a week so far but based on this could be a while… the third time in 3 years one has gone. At least I don’t have lane keeping assist scaring me occasionally.

Keep chasing like my dad did, unfortunately the response that came back from both the dealer and MB UK was that there was no ETA. The sensor eventually arrived towards the end of April and was fitted in March when the car went in for a service. This is the third radar sensor that the car has had, the first one failed due to water ingress and the second randomly packed up on the motorway when he was driving back from the Lake District.

CLK2002 / cp3377:

I have a late 2014 (Nov) CLS 350 Shooting Brake. I have been having NOx sensor problems since I suspect the Diesel Software Update was applied to the car in late 2020. I like to do most maintenance myself, as I have good workshop facilities and the time to do it now (semi-retired), albeit that some of my software is now a bit dated. Rather than just accept on face value what Mercedes, their main dealers and a lot of independents recommend or do to solve NOx related errors, I have spent a lot of time hands-on and researching the problems in a lot of detail. Part of that research has been discussing this on another MB forum, which has provided a much better understanding of the problems. Internet search 'NOx Value 751' should take you to it if you are interested - a bit long-winded and repeated in places, but there is a lot of interesting detail and input from a couple of guys who really do seem to know their 'stuff'. This has provided me with a much better understanding of the problems, but I still have not bottomed things out fully in my mind yet, and need to find people who also have W218 models and are prepared to share details of the software and hardware mods that have been applied to their vehicles.

From my investigations, I believe that most of the NOx sensor changes that have and are still being done because of errors caused by the Diesel Software Update are 'doomed' to fail because they are mostly short-term 'bodges' and the only true long(ish)-term fix is to have the 'retrofit of Special Equipment code 30o' applied (search on that - it was mentioned on this site before, but its significance seemed to be ignored). The facilities to do this retrofit appear only to be available at the main Mercedes dealers, or the independents who have spent the money to have full access to the on-line Mercedes Xentry etc. Mercedes do not appear to be openly admitting this or publicising the retrofit, possibly because they will be inundated with claims - perhaps that needs to happen(?). I might be wrong, but why is this retrofit there, hiding under the radar and only accessible through 'official' channels? If the main dealers are fully aware of this fix they don't seem to be being very honest with the owners(?).

What I am currently interested in are some details from circa. 2014 W218 350 BlueTec (642 Engine and 725001 Gearbox) models that have had the Diesel Software Update and if the 'retrofit of Special Equipment code 30o' has been applied as well, then all the better:

Specifically, the details of software updates on the:
N3/9 - Motor electronics 'CD161' for combustion engine 'OM642' (CDI);
Y3/8nd - Transmission control for 9-speed transmission (VGS); and,
N118/5 - Selective catalytic reduction (SCR 02) control units.
I believe, and have seen proof, that all of these (at least) get updates as part of the Diesel Software Update, and then again for the 'retrofit of Special Equipment code 30o'.These can be obtained from a Xentry quick test and/or a copy of the full datacard detail.

Specifically, the details of option codes fitted to a vehicle that has had the 'retrofit of Special Equipment code 30o' applied, and then the new part numbers for the NOx sensors (they will be different from the original ones).
The code information can be obtained from a VIN decode (readily available for free on the internet - and, correct if they are accessing up-to-date datacard information ) and from any main dealer or independent who have access to the on-line datacard. The correct sensor numbers will be available from a main dealer or independent who have access to the on-line datacard and/or Electronic Parts Catalogue (EPC).

I would also like to find out the full range of NOx sensor part numbers that have been applied to all W218 models during their life so far and all the modification codes that were applied to make the sensor number changes necessary.
I believe to get that information it is necessary for someone with access to the on-line Mercedes' EPC to search for the parts on a generic W218 (saloon or shooting brake) (i.e. don't enter the full vehicle VIN, only the first six numbers). I have made enquires about this, but can understand if none of the independents want to stick their heads too high above the parapet for fear of Mercedes' wrath.

So:

Best Regards:

Edward

Reactions: MD5
Keep chasing like my dad did, unfortunately the response that came back from both the dealer and MB UK was that there was no ETA. The sensor eventually arrived towards the end of April and was fitted in March when the car went in for a service. This is the third radar sensor that the car has had, the first one failed due to water ingress and the second randomly packed up on the motorway when he was driving back from the Lake District.
Mine has come in now - so perhaps supply is improving? Hope so for all waiting.

CLK2002 / cp3377:

I have a late 2014 (Nov) CLS 350 Shooting Brake. I have been having NOx sensor problems since I suspect the Diesel Software Update was applied to the car in late 2020. I like to do most maintenance myself, as I have good workshop facilities and the time to do it now (semi-retired), albeit that some of my software is now a bit dated. Rather than just accept on face value what Mercedes, their main dealers and a lot of independents recommend or do to solve NOx related errors, I have spent a lot of time hands-on and researching the problems in a lot of detail. Part of that research has been discussing this on another MB forum, which has provided a much better understanding of the problems. Internet search 'NOx Value 751' should take you to it if you are interested - a bit long-winded and repeated in places, but there is a lot of interesting detail and input from a couple of guys who really do seem to know their 'stuff'. This has provided me with a much better understanding of the problems, but I still have not bottomed things out fully in my mind yet, and need to find people who also have W218 models and are prepared to share details of the software and hardware mods that have been applied to their vehicles.

From my investigations, I believe that most of the NOx sensor changes that have and are still being done because of errors caused by the Diesel Software Update are 'doomed' to fail because they are mostly short-term 'bodges' and the only true long(ish)-term fix is to have the 'retrofit of Special Equipment code 30o' applied (search on that - it was mentioned on this site before, but its significance seemed to be ignored). The facilities to do this retrofit appear only to be available at the main Mercedes dealers, or the independents who have spent the money to have full access to the on-line Mercedes Xentry etc. Mercedes do not appear to be openly admitting this or publicising the retrofit, possibly because they will be inundated with claims - perhaps that needs to happen(?). I might be wrong, but why is this retrofit there, hiding under the radar and only accessible through 'official' channels? If the main dealers are fully aware of this fix they don't seem to be being very honest with the owners(?).

What I am currently interested in are some details from circa. 2014 W218 350 BlueTec (642 Engine and 725001 Gearbox) models that have had the Diesel Software Update and if the 'retrofit of Special Equipment code 30o' has been applied as well, then all the better:

Specifically, the details of software updates on the:
N3/9 - Motor electronics 'CD161' for combustion engine 'OM642' (CDI);
Y3/8nd - Transmission control for 9-speed transmission (VGS); and,
N118/5 - Selective catalytic reduction (SCR 02) control units.
I believe, and have seen proof, that all of these (at least) get updates as part of the Diesel Software Update, and then again for the 'retrofit of Special Equipment code 30o'.These can be obtained from a Xentry quick test and/or a copy of the full datacard detail.

Specifically, the details of option codes fitted to a vehicle that has had the 'retrofit of Special Equipment code 30o' applied, and then the new part numbers for the NOx sensors (they will be different from the original ones).
The code information can be obtained from a VIN decode (readily available for free on the internet - and, correct if they are accessing up-to-date datacard information ) and from any main dealer or independent who have access to the on-line datacard. The correct sensor numbers will be available from a main dealer or independent who have access to the on-line datacard and/or Electronic Parts Catalogue (EPC).

I would also like to find out the full range of NOx sensor part numbers that have been applied to all W218 models during their life so far and all the modification codes that were applied to make the sensor number changes necessary.
I believe to get that information it is necessary for someone with access to the on-line Mercedes' EPC to search for the parts on a generic W218 (saloon or shooting brake) (i.e. don't enter the full vehicle VIN, only the first six numbers). I have made enquires about this, but can understand if none of the independents want to stick their heads too high above the parapet for fear of Mercedes' wrath.

So:

Best Regards:

Edward
Hi Edward. Not sure how to obtain the info you’ve suggested here. My car is due for service in the next few weeks so is there something I can ask for. I have data cards for both this and for a 2015 car I had before but need to know what codes I’m looking for.

cp3377:

Thanks for reply. The most relevant details are if you have had the 'retrofit of Special Equipment code 30o' fitted and you can find that on a VIN decode or from the VeDoc datacard and, if you have, what are the part numbers of the NOx sensors for your vehicle? If you are visiting a main dealer for your service you can ask the parts department there (very nicely, but be prepared for resistance) if they can let you have a copy of your car's datacard and the part numbers for the NOx sensors. Even if you have NOT had the retrofit installed, the information would still be useful to build a bit of history around what MB have been up to.

Best Regards:

Edward Hunt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom