• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

CLS seems too cheap, what's the catch?

DSM10000

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MX5 1.8 Sport, Range Rover 5.0 SC, BMW X1
As per the title.

A friend has always liked the first generation CLS and spotted this on AT

It looks to be in good condition and has the specification she wants. The seller just lists a mobile and the name "rob" 🤔

She ran a Car Vertical check which came back clear and the MOT history has no concerns and on contacting "rob" finds he is a trader and described this as a "trade sale" but he sells to the public but there would be no warranty as it is over 10 years old.

No different of course to buying privately in terms of liability but can a trader absolve themselves of any legal responsibilities selling to the public as a trade sale?

Correct...sort of....if he states on the order form or invoice that it's "sold for spares or repair and may not be suitable for use as a car" then he can. We do that all the time for old or damp caravans that are not retail quality....and I'm not convinced that its that cheap for a 13 year old 130,000 mile oil burner anyway, in an age of ULEZ and a growing dislike of dervs with the general public. Seen a few at that price...and less recently.

No different of course to buying privately in terms of liability but can a trader absolve themselves of any legal responsibilities selling to the public as a trade sale?
Technically no - but I would treat it as a private sale and assume you won’t get any help from the seller (without going down the legal route).

It’s not particularly cheap for a first generation CLS.

Correct...sort of....if he states on the order form or invoice that it's "sold for spares or repair and may not be suitable for use as a car" then he can. We do that all the time for old or damp caravans that are not retail quality....and I'm not convinced that its that cheap for a 13 year old 130,000 mile oil burner anyway, in an age of ULEZ and a growing dislike of dervs with the general public. Seen a few at that price...and less recently.
I was under the impression that selling as "Spares or repair" required the vehicle to be collected on a trailer?

I was under the impression that selling as "Spares or repair" required the vehicle to be collected on a trailer?
Legally, yes it does, certainly if a trader is selling.

Maybe with a car (being towed is also allowed)....but what I'm selling IS a trailer!!......technically!!

Might be a nice old motor.....if its not too far and it what hes after then just look at it like a private deal and pay accordingly. Most of the posts above are against the seller....not the car.

I smell a rat with this CLS.

I smell a rat with this CLS.

Thanks for the link but I do not use Facebook and cannot open it đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom