• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

CLS Wheel Damage,.

CLStrick

Car
CLS Shooting Brake
I have just had the bad news that the high speed ( above 65 ) vibration is caused not by balancing but wheel distortion on three of my multi spoke wheels.
My son hit a large pot hole with the car and it has only done local miles until we took it to Switzerland last week, the Mercedes garage there advised new brakes and pads but thought the vibration was wheel balance...so two questions. Would wheel distortion effect brake wear ( last service indicated 25% wear ) ? Secondly, Where can i get 3 new wheels for my 2017 CLS 350 Shooting Brake that will match my one remaining good wheel ? The Mercedes Spares Website does not show any matching 19 inch multi spoke wheels. I would appreciate ant advice.

I have just had the bad news that the high speed ( above 65 ) vibration is caused not by balancing but wheel distortion on three of my multi spoke wheels.
My son hit a large pot hole with the car and it has only done local miles until we took it to Switzerland last week, the Mercedes garage there advised new brakes and pads but thought the vibration was wheel balance...so two questions. Would wheel distortion effect brake wear ( last service indicated 25% wear ) ? Secondly, Where can i get 3 new wheels for my 2017 CLS 350 Shooting Brake that will match my one remaining good wheel ? The Mercedes Spares Website does not show any matching 19 inch multi spoke wheels. I would appreciate ant advice.
Can the wheels be straightened?

Many thanks for the replies, new wheels are an eye watering price so i am investigating if they can be straightened, a garage owning friend is following it up for me.

Many thanks for the replies, new wheels are an eye watering price so i am investigating if they can be straightened, a garage owning friend is following it up for me.
Are there any sales on eBay for 4 wheels for a CLS?

most minor buckles can be straightened, decent wheel refunds place should be able to help.

Buy a set of branded aftermarket wheels , guaranteed straight and true.

By the time you factor in the repair and refurb cost it will be the most cost effective way , plus it will give the car a nice cosmetic facelift and you wont have the easily damaged OEM ones to repair again.

K

Sorry to hear that. Good advice here. These wheels don’t seem to survive UK roads too well. I’ve replaced three so far over the past couple of years - the latest being where there is a slight crack but I don’t recall any incident causing it. I bought a good quality set secondhand but am working my way through those now. You can get some on eBay - some refurbished - and there are some exchange places too. I keep looking out for 18 inch replacements - a little more sidewall may help a little!

Consider buying refurbished or secondhand wheels for better durability on UK roads, especially 18-inch ones for improved sidewall protection.

Only 18 % more compared with a 19 inch set up. Not really noticeable tbh.

Screenshot_20230922-085014-636.png

Only 18 % more compared with a 19 inch set up. Not really noticeable tbh.

View attachment 147220
It’s 255/40/18 for this car (and you can go 285/35/18 on the rear too). Maybe the 18’s are equally vulnerable but with more tyre wall these has to be a little more protection. OP - let us know what you do and how it goes.

Can’t wait to get my 17’s off and fit my winter 16’s , there’s some shocking potholes restarting .
I ran a set of winters all year round for a couple of years and didnt notice any difference in handling etc during the warmer months

They can certainly be straightened... MyAlloys in Basingstoke did a very good and reasonable 'while you wait' job on my CLS's wheels (I share your pain having had a similar issue)

Whoever at Mercedes thought 30 profile tyres were a good idea on what is supposed to be a luxury cruiser needs a strong word!

Also, beware of worn inside edges of the rear tyres... from bitter experience, this can manifest in a vibration/noise, shortly before they blow out! You really have to look hard to spot where its happening, and the rest of the tyre generally looks OK.

Thanks Guys, some really useful information there. I have an appointment with Silver Wheels at Poole on Thursday, but i will think about 18s and improved sidewall flexibility.

The roads are terrible, we have just returned from France and Switzerland and the D roads there are better than the As around us!!

Thanks again for all the information and suggestions. Silver Wheels did manage to straighten the wheels although the rear offside was a problem! to quote " it was egg shaped" but they managed to get it back within tolerance but not 100%. The car certainly felt better driving home in the places i could reach 70.

It was also interesting that said both Mercedes and BMW Alloys seem to be having the most problems as they felt the alloy was softer !! Has anyone else heard that?

i will be concentrating even more to avoid potholes from now on....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom