Comand NTG 2.5 screen protector fitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

24 VRT

Car
'99 S210 E320CDI A/garde - gone to a better place.. Now '09 S211 E320CDI Sport.
At 20 years of age, the tin-worm became too expensive to repair on my long term S210, and as the mechanic at my indie wanted her as a family hack - off she went. Replaced by a 10 year old S211. As with all newly acquired cars there are things to fix/repair/replace, and on mine one such job was to address the terrible state of the Comand screen when powered down. This shows the scratches that, I guess, are in the anti-glare screen coating.
WP_20190624_14_03_38_Pro 2.jpg

Having searched the web for inspiration I found an article on a BMW forum where someone had the same issue. Their solution was to fit a screen protector as you would on a mobile phone. I found a cheap anti-glare protector for an ipad and did the following:-
1) Using a sheet of paper make a template the size of the Comand screen, which you then use to cut the screen protector to size.
WP_20190624_14_10_28_Pro 2.jpg
WP_20190624_14_20_21_Pro 2.jpg

2) Cutting the screen protector to size is best done with a proper paper cutter/trimmer or guillotine in order to ensure straight edges.
WP_20190624_14_33_00_Pro 2.jpg

3) Before removing the backing film, try the cut-down protector for fit.
WP_20190624_14_43_19_Pro 2.jpg

4) If the fit is good, then proceed with fitting the protector in the same way as you would with a mobile phone one - ensure no dust on Comand screen and that your hands are washed and cleaned. Peel back a corner of the backing film and place the protector into a corner of the Comand screen. Carefully continue peeling the backing off, letting the protector adhere to the screen as it goes and ensuring no air bubbles are caught (these can usually be squeezed across to an edge in order to escape). Once happy with the placement you can peel off the outer protective film.

Relatively easy job and, as most screen protectors for ipads are big enough to provide 2 cut down protectors to fit the Comand screen, it doesn't matter if you mess one up in the process (plus most packs come with 2 ipad sized protectors, which therefore means you could make 4 cut downs - helpful if you make several errors!). Don't forget you need an anti-glare protector, otherwise you won't see the screen in direct sun - you may need to adjust the Comand screen brightness to account for the new protector.

This is the end result - my first attempt and whilst not perfect, it is far better than the scratched mess as shown in the first picture!
WP_20190624_15_02_06_Pro 2.jpg

Hopefully the photos have download ok - apologies if not, my first time putting up images on the forum!

Reactions: Abb
I don't believe it! Why couldn't I find that website when I was searching - I probably didn't think that you could get pre-cut protectors for built in satnavs. The only saving grace is that mine cost under £3 delivered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom