Contemplating CLS320 CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barrieeld

Car
AMG
Hi guys im thinking about a CLS 320cdi and want to know what its like to own?

Its been a while ive owned a mercedes prev had a CLK Sport and S Class but moved onto a 535d then onto a Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged.

The big RR is just too gutsy so im looking for a car with jaw dropping looks with reasonable performance and luxury so wondered if the CLS was the car?

Car im looking at is a CLS 320CDI with full AMG kit and 19" wheels, Keyless, Adaptive Lights, Logic 7 all for £12.5k FMBSH and 65k miles on a 55 plate.

What's your thoughts...I change cars fairly often and wondered am I likely to loose money fast with on this one the new model now out in its 2nd year?

For what I need I cant see anything else similar which looks just as good?

Thoughts....

I know it's always a subjective thing, but I think that the CLS was the best looking Mercedes for a long time. If I didn't need five seats I would buy one tomorrow.

I've got the 320 V6 CDi in my car and it's a joy to own; fast yet frugal.

Residuals will always be strong, a similar age & condition W211 E-Class (on which the CLS is based) would be about £4k cheaper.

what should I expect urban city driving MPG's to be?

In winter 25-30mpg and in summer 30-35mpg.

On a run, depending on how 'brisk' you are, I find 50mpg quite achievable.

Edit: here's a photo

Last edited by a moderator:
that seems a little better than my current 10.1mpg :(

Would you recommend the CLS as a good buy in todays market?

Cars ive looked at have been 635d (bit small rear seats), Jaguar XK (same deal as range rover too gutsy), tdv8 range rover (not that impressed with the fuel economy considering the price to trade up) S320cdi (new shape with amg styling, but fear it will depreciate faster than the cls?) Audi A8 & A4 (find audi vehicles bland a little but liked the 4.2 diesel!)

I'm looking for a family run around that i can keep for a year without too much trauma and not have to take too much of a hit on depreciation...

P.S. Was tempted by the new e350 E class but only the coupe excites me...

You seem to have a wide price range there, so I'll ask you what is your 'ideal' budget?

Good, clean CLS's will always hold strong money IMO; forum member bpsorrel had to search log and hard to find his.

I've flirted with the TT V8 diesels by Audi before, but they just don't do anything for me. A bit vanilla.

I'd go for the CLS. I remain unconvinced about the reliability of the drive train given issues I've had but there is no doubting it's refinement performance and economy. As a car the CLS is great. Really nice to drive, a lot better than the E class, and really a beautiful car inside and out.

Agree with *** there are good and bad cars... mostly good ones.. All but the earliest CLS's (219) have the later "facelift" 211 (E class) that came in july 06... that take away electrical gremlins that occured on the earlier 211s.

Good stylish car - if you go for the late facelift CLS's they have a newer Comand unit that is better for bluetooth / ipod etc but they still dont have a "mouse" controller like the new E's (212)

Hope this makes sense.

This is one for me I think! :)

I've owned a CLS 320cdi since december. Apart from a scary time with a main bearing fault (repaired under warranty) I find the car magnificent. The ride and overall body control is way better than my S211 before it and the whole "feel good factor" is very strong. It looks great inside and out and unless you're either carrying 4 passengers or intend to carry 6' people in the rear regulalry. the limited rear space is not a problem. I'm 6'2 and don't have a headroom problem in the front.

So, highly recommended! Stylish, smooth, powerful and comfortable. A classic in the making IMO! :)

My budget is around 23k but if a came around substantially under this such as the cls which I've mentioned (@12k) im tempted to pocket the difference and still have a good everyday car.

Bsporrel..I noticed you had a c2s carrera I toyed with the idea of one recently how do you find now driving the cls compared to the porka?

I had a CLS320 for around 3 years, 57 plate. Great car and no major problems, but I never got better than 38mpg out of it. With the Brabus powerkit it was very fast.

I would say pick of the bunch has to be a Grand Edition if you can afford it.

But they do depreciate very, very heavily from new.

Cannot really comment on the 320CDI but, I got the petrol 55 AMG and what an amazing car! Anyone who sees/gets in compliments on the styling and interior. I'm absolutely loving it! Although the best mpg I've had was 22 :)

Will reply as someone who took the plunge recently - in Jan - with a CLS 320cdi 08. Am hugely enjoying it. Is very smooth and comfortable and looks stunning in my view. MPG is 20's around town and 30's plus on longer run. Can get 40 if you sit at 40/50mph, but no idea how to get 50mpg!! I find it very quick off the mark and in the 20-40mph range. Less dramatic acceleration higher up, but maybe that's because it's so smooth. I think the Brabus chip will sort that, but need to wait as I have an approved used warranty to see out, and they won't retain the warranty if you have done more than 18k miles (and they will charge you circa £1800). I have 19 wheels and I have airmatic suspension which works amazingly - can't believe how good the ride is. I understand that 19" wheels can be a hard ride without the airmatic, but personally have no experience. From 2008 there was a minor facelift - most obvious in grill (fewer bars), wing mirrors and exhaust. Some changes inside as well. One of the things I appreciate most is the ability to plug in my iPhone and access all the music. Makes the cd changer and data card a but redundant.. In summary, love it - and genuinely at my point in life, can't think of a car I would rather have. And not had anyone at a hand car wash take pictures of my car before!

This is one for me I think! :)

I've owned a CLS 320cdi since december. Apart from a scary time with a main bearing fault (repaired under warranty) I find the car magnificent. The ride and overall body control is way better than my S211 before it and the whole "feel good factor" is very strong. It looks great inside and out and unless you're either carrying 4 passengers or intend to carry 6' people in the rear regulalry. the limited rear space is not a problem. I'm 6'2 and don't have a headroom problem in the front.

So, highly recommended! Stylish, smooth, powerful and comfortable. A classic in the making IMO! :)

What he said...:)
good luck
R

I've bought mine just over a month ago. It is a fantastic car. It is so right in every level, it appeals to the head and the heart.

It should hold it's value very well. only cars with well over 100k miles and minimum spec are dipping under £10k. The one you've mention, you should see most of the money back, hell if it's me, I'll buy it and sell it at the same price a year later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom