Copyright

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodle-Pulp

Car
C250CGI, previous C230 Coupe, SLK200, C200 Coupe
Simple question:

If I take a photo with my camera of a picture - whether it's in a gallery or a magazine, is that breaking any copyright law?

I think as long as your using it for personal viewing then thats fine, but you can not use them for public consumption, ie put the pictures on a website.

When I was at the louvre in Paris, I took many a pic of the great artists work, including the mona lisa, but I doubt I would be allowed to use the images to advertise my website.

Copyright Law is a big can of worms, its not a good idea to open this tin.

So hold on a sec..
if I took a photo of a TV and used it to advertise my site - I could be done for copyright infringement?

the question is whether your picture is a substantial copy of the copyrighted work.

so, if you take a picture of a painting, you are in breach of copyright in that painting. Not a problem really unless you started printing that picture and selling that, or publishing that picture.

If you took a picture of an art gallery (and as part of that you see some of the pictures in the gallery), you are fine -- assuming that the art gallery gave you permission to take the picture while you were in the premises.

Another thing to remember is trademark law ...

There is no copyright on old paintings, it hadn't been invented when they were painted.

See here.

The Louvre can forbid you from taking photographs on its premises but it has no sanction other than to require you to leave. It does in fact ban photography only in its most popular galleries, including that housing the Mona Lisa, purely so that everyone's enjoyment isn't impaired by a constant barrage of flashes.

roughly speaking, in the UK, copyright lasts for life of creator/author/painter plus 70 years

There is no copyright on old paintings, it hadn't been invented when they were painted.

See here.

The Louvre can forbid you from taking photographs on its premises but it has no sanction other than to require you to leave. It does in fact ban photography only in its most popular galleries, including that housing the Mona Lisa, purely so that everyone's enjoyment isn't impaired by a constant barrage of flashes.

Actually I took a photo of the Mona Lisa in the Louvre just 3 years ago with no problems.

Attachments

• Paris 043.jpg
    Paris 043.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
You ignored the sign requesting you not to take photographs though.

I took one 26 years ago and got shouted at by a warder from Cell Block H.

I went to the Louvre many moons ago and saw the Mona Lisa.

Very small and can't understand all the fuss, mind you, in the queue we were standing beside the actor who played Sonny & Crockets boss in Miami Vice, the guy with the bad skin and the tache.

We got his autograph....big bragging rights!!

My mistake it was May 2005. I just checked the dates on the photos, this was before the ban.

it would have been around the same time I was there :) And you got a better pic than I did, the 6 inch plexiglass thing in front seemed to afect my pic quite a lot

Apparently the painting has been "restored" so many times, and early restorations where done so badly that most of what you are actually seeing isn't the original painting................

Went to Paris many years ago and was not impressed with the Mona Lisa, though many other painting were more impressive. Was more impressed outside the museum as the 'Rue de Revolle' was closed off as they were filming a scene for the the first 'Bourne Identity' movies with Matt Damon.

I went to the Louvre many moons ago and saw the Mona Lisa.

Very small and can't understand all the fuss, mind you, in the queue we were standing beside the actor who played Sonny & Crockets boss in Miami Vice, the guy with the bad skin and the tache.

We got his autograph....big bragging rights!!

That wouldn't have been James Edward Olmos (sic) by any chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom