• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Correct Battery

Chimp400

Car
C180 K
I wonder could anyone tell me what is the correct battery for a 2005 C180K Saloon.
It has a Varta AGM fitted at the moment but i believe its not correct, it was fitted when my dad bought the car 4 years ago and im assuming it should have a lead acid as standard.
Needs replacing but dont want to spend a fortune as the car is being sold.
It measures roughly 31 cm long, 17.5 cm deep and 18 cm high, 80 Ah, 800 A.
Thanks in advance.

I wonder could anyone tell me what is the correct battery for a 2005 C180K Saloon.
It has a Varta AGM fitted at the moment but i believe its not correct, it was fitted when my dad bought the car 4 years ago and im assuming it should have a lead acid as standard.
Thanks in advance.
The battery should have a number on it that denotes the type and size. You can use this to search online or go to one of the car service chains and ask what they have.

AGM are still lead acid batteries and it has clearly worked whilst your father has had the car.

AGM batteries are often used for safety reasons. No leakage if rolled.
Varta take a lot of beating. We use them on all our heavy equipment.

Thanks in advance.
If you’re selling it get a cheap and cheerful from your local motor factor. Most will fit it for you.

This is the current and the number wasn't obvious to me.
I'd expect a new Varta to do more than 4 years if cared for which is why I asked about the Agm as maybe the charging isn't correct.

Attachments

• 20240121_090248.jpg
    20240121_090248.jpg
    854.3 KB · Views: 18
Not sure if the charging system on a 2005 car is compatible with an AGM battery and the one in the photo is from a General Motors car , my guess is 'they' just fitted one that went in the hole.

Always had good results with these . Car , van , motorbike and Motability scooter batteries I have purchased over the years have been spot on.

NOTE : make sure you get it right (their website helps a lot) as return postage cost are up to you £££££££

Not sure if the charging system on a 2005 car is compatible with an AGM battery and the one in the photo is from a General Motors car , my guess is 'they' just fitted one that went in the hole.

Always had good results with these . Car , van , motorbike and Motability scooter batteries I have purchased over the years have been spot on.

NOTE : make sure you get it right (their website helps a lot) as return postage cost are up to you £££££££

That's my guess, no chance the trader put a new one on really.

A vin check may well show what the original battery was, but in 2005 I would assume it was a wet cell.

I don't see it on you battery but more often it's an 019 type that's fitted in a Merc, that denotes physical size and post orientation.

There is advantage in paying a bit more and buying from ECP. I've returned 3 year old batteries for replacement under the guarantee before now. Try that with an ebay purchase.

This is a close match so may throw one on.

Ask your main dealer for a quote, you may be surprised. You can then ask about rating and whether it’s AGM.

OP , AGM batteries have been around since the 1980's , mainly for military use.

My 2006 S203 C class was the last of the build and the very top of the tree at the time (C55 AMG) . I myself replaced the factory original 2006 battery a few years back.

It was a MB lead acid battery , you could even open each cell and top it up ! Quite normal behaviour for those of us of a certain age , but alien to many these days.

Your car came from the factory with a lead acid battery.

The battery you have chosen ? at that price ? why not.

PS As I said make sure you get it right if buying from Tayna as you will have to pay the expensive return shipping. . And no, it will not be the £8.95 that they are charging to get it to you.

AGM batteries are often used for safety reasons. No leakage if rolled.
Oh yeah......because a leaking battery damaging the paint will be right at the top of your list of worries having just rolled your car!!

Oh yeah......because a leaking battery damaging the paint will be right at the top of your list of worries having just rolled your car!!
Think it's more to do with the emergency services and the people involved in the crash .last thing you need is acid getting on you.

To the op. Why not just charge the battery that's fitted if the car is going to be sold. Bit of a waste of money tbh.

No, because sometimes the battery is IN the car. Eg ML. But if you want Darwinism to prevail............

So the fact that a car isn't start stop doesn't mean an AGM battery isn't necessary. If the manufacturer deems it in any way possible the battery contents could ingress into the passenger compartment they are likely to specify AGM.

Last edited:
No, because sometimes the battery is IN the car. Eg ML. But if you want Darwinism to prevail…
I have an ML from 2007 which has an AGM battery for this reason, it’s in the cabin beneath the driver’s seat.

I have an ML from 2007 which has an AGM battery for this reason, it’s in the cabin beneath the driver’s seat.

A previous owner had replaced mine with a mega cheap Chinese bog standard battery. I could smell it on a journey soon after I bought the car!

A previous owner had replaced mine with a mega cheap Chinese bog standard battery. I could smell it on a journey soon after I bought the car!
I tried a lead acid battery in the boot of my aging e320 ,one I had laid about. Rather than buy an AGM , I had to remove it for the very reason , acid fumes . Turns out some mercs had a higher than normal output alternator fitted , and would boil normal batteries. One reason I always say if it's got AGM fit AGM .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom