Correct tyre size??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:thumb:. ;)

Wager they will be 8.5".

On the brightside (if you buy appropriate tyres) then will be able to rotate diagonally for even wear rates.
Because of how I measured them I don’t know how accurate the measurements are in relation to 8.5 / 9.5 if anything they seemed nearer to 9.5” but the way I measured doesn’t lend to being accurate rather than front/rear being the same if that makes sense. I will need to take them off and look at the markings on the rear I guess.

Taking a rear off and checking dimensions should confirm.

Alternatively......

Cut yourself a stiff piece of card approx 5" x 18".
From behind the wheel level the long edge on ground whilst the 5" is in the vertical plane, and press the card against inside of wheel/tyre face.
Measure through the big gap in spokes using a stiff tape (eg measuring tape versus ideally a steel ruler) whilst remembering to butting upto the card template face and the outside edge of the rim.
...........if all 4 wheels give approx the same measurement (my assumption is 8.5") then you have a NON-STAGGERED set-up.

Taking a rear off and checking dimensions should confirm.

Alternatively......

Cut yourself a stiff piece of card approx 5" x 18".
From behind the wheel level the long edge on ground whilst the 5" is in the vertical plane, and press the card against inside of wheel/tyre face.
Measure through the big gap in spokes using a stiff tape (eg measuring tape versus ideally a steel ruler) whilst remembering to butting upto the card template face and the outside edge of the rim.
...........if all 4 wheels give approx the same measurement (my assumption is 8.5") then you have a NON-STAGGERED set-up.
Thanks I will give that a go tomorrow. I guess that will prove the alloy size isn’t staggered, but my understanding is it‘s possible to have staggered sized tyres on 8.5” alloys please correct me if I’m wrong.

...............but my understanding is it‘s possible to have staggered sized tyres on 8.5” alloys please correct me if I’m wrong.

Personally, I would not do this. However, my chums on the VW scene may have other ideas :cool:.

On a 8.5" rim conventional wisdom will say only go 225 thro' 245. Stick with 235s.

Your car's electrickery will start to play up unless you know how to calculate and compensate for different size rim/tyre combos. Also, handling could be affected. Insurer/Police will take a keen interest in the case of a major accident. Essentially, I do not think it is worth it.

To save any doubt, you could just take one front and one rear wheel of and check the size, offset markings etc which should be on the inside face.

To save any doubt, you could just take one front and one rear wheel of and check the size, offset markings etc which should be on the inside face.
I think you’re right, I appreciate every ones in put but I’m more confused than ever :dk: but I’m still leaning towards 235/35 front & 255/55 rear.

I think you’re right, I appreciate every ones in put but I’m more confused than ever :dk: but I’m still leaning towards 235/35 front & 255/55 rear.
Absolutely wrong! With a wider rear tyre you MUST have a lower profile than the front so that the tyre wall heights are not different. Your post encapsulates why you are so confused.
You asked for advice, I gave it in post #20...suggest you take it.

Absolutely wrong! With a wider rear tyre you MUST have a lower profile than the front so that the tyre wall heights are not different. Your post encapsulates why you are so confused.
You asked for advice, I gave it in post #20...suggest you take it.
Correction that was a typo on my part it should of read 235/35 front & 255/30 rear like it says on my fuel cap flap and stated in my earlier posts. Sorry for any confusion.

235 35 and 255 30 , all 4 wheels are 8.5j on a facelift c207.

Mine are all 8.5j 235/35 front and 255/30 rears. Hope that helps
Thanks for the reply, that’s the size rears I went for in the end, and the car seems much better in the wet, than before I switched, I think the last owner put the same size all round as a cheaper option.

Hi folks, sorry to hijack this thread but I am in a similar boat and need some help. First-time car owner so even more confused.

I am looking at replacing all the four tyres on my 2017 W213 (E220d) with Michelin Primacy 3/4 or Pilot Sport 4. I have the following contradictory data points to start with (pictures attached for all 3):
a). Pic of tyre size options from the fuel cap filter​
b). Tyre and wheel size from certificate of conformity data sheet (in German but translated) --> 225/55 R17 97Y 7.5JX17 ET40​
c). Tyre size when the car was first delivered brand new to the previous owner --> 245/45 R18 100V (also the spec of current tyres but with a slightly different load index and speed rating)​

I mostly drive in the city (London) with a light load - me, wifey and a toddler in Eco/Comfort mode. I don't need winter tyres as I do not drive much in the winters. I would prefer 'decent looking' tyres without burning a hole in my pocket.

Will appreciate if the gurus here can help answer the following questions:
  1. Which size should I go for? 245/45 R18 or 225/55 R17 or any other size? (I would like to strike the right balance between comfort, looks and budget)
  2. Should I go for a staggered layout or the same size front and rear?
  3. Given my low load requirements and driving style, will the load index and speed rating matter much?
  4. And finally, given my mostly city and non-winter drives, should I go for Michelin Primacy 3, 4 or Pilot Sport 4?

Attachments

• 20211116_195509.jpg
    20211116_195509.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20211116_200347.jpg
    20211116_200347.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 2
  • 20211116_195643.jpg
    20211116_195643.jpg
    611.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hi folks, sorry to hijack this thread but I am in a similar boat and need some help. First-time car owner so even more confused.

I am looking at replacing all the four tyres on my 2017 W213 (E220d) with Michelin Primacy 3/4 or Pilot Sport 4. I have the following contradictory data points to start with (pictures attached for all 3):
a). Pic of tyre size options from the fuel cap filter​
b). Tyre and wheel size from certificate of conformity data sheet (in German but translated) --> 225/55 R17 97Y 7.5JX17 ET40​
c). Tyre size when the car was first delivered brand new to the previous owner --> 245/45 R18 100V (also the spec of current tyres but with a slightly different load index and speed rating)​

I mostly drive in the city (London) with a light load - me, wifey and a toddler in Eco/Comfort mode. I don't need winter tyres as I do not drive much in the winters. I would prefer 'decent looking' tyres without burning a hole in my pocket.

Will appreciate if the gurus here can help answer the following questions:
  1. Which size should I go for? 245/45 R18 or 225/55 R17 or any other size? (I would like to strike the right balance between comfort, looks and budget)
  2. Should I go for a staggered layout or the same size front and rear?
  3. Given my low load requirements and driving style, will the load index and speed rating matter much?
  4. And finally, given my mostly city and non-winter drives, should I go for Michelin Primacy 3, 4 or Pilot Sport 4?
Firstly you cant fit 18 inch tyres to 17 inch rims , so that would involve buying g new wheels . You need to check the width of the rear wheels , you may find that its a wider rim and you can fit the tyre size printed on the fuel flap , so you end up with a staggered set up.

As One For The Road suggests, knowing what wheels are fitted to your car will help you; in the first instance take a look here:
Mercedes E Class Saloon Alloys (W213) - Alloy Wheels Direct
Once you get over the shock of how much genuine MB wheels are (;):)), find the style of wheel you have fitted and then scroll down the page to find the correct tyre size and speed/load rating for that wheel on your car. And yes, speed/load ratings are important!

As One For The Road suggests, knowing what wheels are fitted to your car will help you; in the first instance take a look here:
Mercedes E Class Saloon Alloys (W213) - Alloy Wheels Direct
Once you get over the shock of how much genuine MB wheels are (;):)), find the style of wheel you have fitted and then scroll down the page to find the correct tyre size and speed/load rating for that wheel on your car. And yes, speed/load ratings are important!
Mine's definitely these ones both front and rear:

Guess I can only fit 225/55 R17 both front and rear? So without changing the wheels (which I do not intend to), I can not play with tyre width and diameter?

Mine's definitely these ones both front and rear:

Guess I can only fit 225/55 R17 both front and rear? So without changing the wheels (which I do not intend to), I can not play with tyre width and diameter?
But in 18 " I presume . When you say they are definitely your wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom