CVT on A class & B class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Is it still the case to stay away from CVT and go manual on these? MY would be 2010 - 2013. General comments?

We can't justify keeping the SLK for Sue given the mileage she does now, especially now I have retired so will look around for something smaller/less expensive

Just wish she had decided when that A-class was up for sale on here!

I've had CVT in an Audi A6 Avant 1.9TDi. No problems with it. Seem to recall that there were 6 "programmed" gears so you could select if you wanted.

I know there were a spate of CVT posts on here on A classes a few years back where they had died.

Might be better to go with a slushy model instead if they exist...

Had a B class with a CVT box and did 125k miles before I PX'x it against my Nissan Qashqai with again a CVT box. They are fitted to many hybrid autos, but as usual it's only the ones that go wrong that gets shouted about.

We've had two CVTs and 1 failed at 2.5 years / 22k miles.

So my view is shaped somewhat by that!

only had mine just under a year, no issues so far at 88000

plus side servicing and maintaining car on my year 2006 is so cheap

Tezz

The trick with 169/245 CVT is to never shift it into gear, until revs drop below 1000rpm, as advised by Forrera.
I follow that religiously. Bought my A200 over five years ago, done just over 23k miles so far (52.2k on the clock).
Had an ATF change done by Mercedes in 2016, next one due next year.

We had an Audi A6 avant Sport with a CVT gearbox. Judder hesitation etc. Traded it in in the end as we were warned new box to fix. Wouldn’t have a CVT again. Car was great though.

This maybe of interest? they have torque convertor so take off should be smooth. I suspect that the larger diesel engined models' torque may play a part in the longevity of the box --regular CVT fluid changes are essential.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This maybe of interest? they have torque convertor so take off should be smooth. I suspect that the larger diesel engined models' torque may play a part in the longevity of the box --regular CVT fluid changes are essential.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yes, this is what I had in mind. I knew the 2000 A140 I drove had a slushy - and bloody-keen it was too to get going once in drive.

But at least reliable...

Another thing, I also religeously changed the gearbox oil every 40k miles as recommended in the service book.

Our replacement "revised" Joke CVT was starting to get choppy as it approached 4 years so I got the fluid done - even though I had to escalate within Nissan to get it done (WTF).

It's been a lot better in the year since.

So I would deduce timely fluid changes are one key to CVT longevity like they are on slushies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom