Designo Colours

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
According to my R230 book, the following beige colours were available for that model SL: Travertine Beige (also known as Desert Silver) 2001-2006, paint code 693 and Perlbeige (Pearl Beige) 2009-2011, code 794.
I am no expert on the various SL colours but in your opinion do any of those colours in my post match the codes that you have kindly submitted?

In summer there are times when my 'stretched limo' gets a nice dusting of sand blown in from the Sahara desert. I guess a quick coat of clear coat would see my vehicle in a nice shade of 'desert' silver :) Pesky sand storms can be a nuisance.

glojo - why not spare yourself the pain and go with a wrap?

glojo - why not spare yourself the pain and go with a wrap?
Hi T5r
I have to be tactful with my reply and say the wrap is an excellent covering for any business, it can say what we want and give our company an identity. I guess Eddie Stobart is a good example

Private use
Outwardly we can have the car in any colour we wish. It is an expensive option if done correctly, BUT, its beauty is only skin deep. My own very personal thoughts are it is 'cheap and very taccy!'

Open the bonnet of any car that has this wrap and you will see the car's original colour.

Open the boot of any car that has this wrap and you will see the car's original colour.

Open the doors of any car that has this wrap and you will see the car's original colour.

If you can tolerate this clash, then go for it but when the wrap is fitted, do you remove the headlights

If you can tolerate this clash, then go for it but when the wrap is fitted, do you remove the front windscreen or the rear window?

Each to their own but for me, the wrap will not be an option.

I have nothing better to do with my life and trying to get a designo colour occupies my mind, if at any stage I get frustrated, then 'win some, lose some' :)

Just had a reply from the dealer in Belgium and they are forwarding my latest correspondence to Mercedes-Benz Belgium

Hi T5r
I have to be tactful with my reply and say the wrap is an excellent covering for any business, it can say what we want and give our company an identity. I guess Eddie Stobart is a good example

Private use
Outwardly we can have the car in any colour we wish. It is an expensive option if done correctly, BUT, its beauty is only skin deep. My own very personal thoughts are it is 'cheap and very taccy!'

Open the bonnet of any car that has this wrap and you will see the car's original colour.

Open the boot of any car that has this wrap and you will see the car's original colour.

Open the doors of any car that has this wrap and you will see the car's original colour.

If you can tolerate this clash, then go for it but when the wrap is fitted, do you remove the headlights

If you can tolerate this clash, then go for it but when the wrap is fitted, do you remove the front windscreen or the rear window?

Each to their own but for me, the wrap will not be an option.

I have nothing better to do with my life and trying to get a designo colour occupies my mind, if at any stage I get frustrated, then 'win some, lose some' :)

Just had a reply from the dealer in Belgium and they are forwarding my latest correspondence to Mercedes-Benz Belgium
High quality wraps will include inside the doors, boot, etc but that increases the cost significantly. Paintwork within the engine bay is much more difficult to wrap though. Given that this is a factory order - and not a secondhand purchase - it makes sense to go for the paint rather than the wrap - the cost will be a similar order of magnitude if the wrap is done to a high standard.

High quality wraps will include inside the doors, boot, etc but that increases the cost significantly. Paintwork within the engine bay is much more difficult to wrap though. Given that this is a factory order - and not a secondhand purchase - it makes sense to go for the paint rather than the wrap - the cost will be a similar order of magnitude if the wrap is done to a high standard.
I have a very good friend that does this for a living and they will not entertain doing this on a private car because of the hassle they experience. Private customers want to pay peanuts but expect a top class brazil :)

I agree with your well made points but I dread to think of the work involved in wrapping the interior of both the bonnet and the boot and just imagine someone like your good self, or perhaps me, examining the quality of the finish :eek::eek:

The windscreen.... If it is not removed then there is a lot of hassle in overlapping the wrap :( Just been thinking about the inner fold of the door skin, that join is not silky smooth but the wrap has to be 100% air-tight and perfect.

I feel with my designo saga, I feel I am on a crusade!! :) Righting a wrong :) :)

I do hope that if you are successful in getting the colour of your choice, you have your car PPF'd and then ceramic coated to protect your investment.

kc

Ooops!!

Yup, I complained to Mercedes-Benz regarding this Designo issue. I pointed out I have placed an order with Belgium and I am disappointed that ONE very specific dealer in the UK can supply me with a vehicle in any colour I want but I am unable to locate any other dealer that can do this.

They then stated they would chase this up with my local dealer!!!! Nooooo!!!!!! said I, I am NOT dealing with my local dealer, I am DEALING WITH A MAAIN DEALER IN BELGIUM. I could not have made that any clearer. My beef is with Mercedes-Benz UK and if one dealer can do this, then why not all of them?

This morning, as sure as apples are apples I got a phone call from my local dealership. WHY, why would Mercedes-Benz do this, what is the point of pestering them.

Anyway my local dealer explained that the only designo colours they could supply were those in the brochure, then I dropped thje bombshell.

"I hear what you say but I was told that Mercedes-Benz Brookland could supply ANY colour a customer wanted. Rather than take anyone's word for this, I contacted Brookland myself, and yup, sure enough, I can order ANY colour I want. It would be a factory order and there would be a surcharge!"

Pregnant pause... I am NOT going to quote anyone but suffice it to say the local dealership are NOT happy. I was told that Brookland is actually owned by Mercedes-Benz UK and it is now suggested that there is ONE RULE FOR MERCEDES-BENZ UK and a different set of rules for the rest of the UK. If anyone doubts this then I double-dog dare them to try and order any new vehicle they want in Champagne Gold order number 473.... Mercedes-Benz Brookland can do that with no problem :mad::mad::mad::mad: It is plain WRONG

I should have asked Brookland if they could supply the E-class estate hybrid with a petrol engine!! that would have been interesting :)

Ooops!!

Yup, I complained to Mercedes-Benz regarding this Designo issue. I pointed out I have placed an order with Belgium and I am disappointed that ONE very specific dealer in the UK can supply me with a vehicle in any colour I want but I am unable to locate any other dealer that can do this.

They then stated they would chase this up with my local dealer!!!! Nooooo!!!!!! said I, I am NOT dealing with my local dealer, I am DEALING WITH A MAAIN DEALER IN BELGIUM. I could not have made that any clearer. My beef is with Mercedes-Benz UK and if one dealer can do this, then why not all of them?

This morning, as sure as apples are apples I got a phone call from my local dealership. WHY, why would Mercedes-Benz do this, what is the point of pestering them.

Anyway my local dealer explained that the only designo colours they could supply were those in the brochure, then I dropped thje bombshell.

"I hear what you say but I was told that Mercedes-Benz Brookland could supply ANY colour a customer wanted. Rather than take anyone's word for this, I contacted Brookland myself, and yup, sure enough, I can order ANY colour I want. It would be a factory order and there would be a surcharge!"

Pregnant pause... I am NOT going to quote anyone but suffice it to say the local dealership are NOT happy. I was told that Brookland is actually owned by Mercedes-Benz UK and it is now suggested that there is ONE RULE FOR MERCEDES-BENZ UK and a different set of rules for the rest of the UK. If anyone doubts this then I double-dog dare them to try and order any new vehicle they want in Champagne Gold order number 473.... Mercedes-Benz Brookland can do that with no problem :mad::mad::mad::mad: It is plain WRONG

I should have asked Brookland if they could supply the E-class estate hybrid with a petrol engine!! that would have been interesting :)
Brooklands is a flagship dealership at a global level, and so I'm not surprised.

A few years ago MBUK created, marketed and sold a special edition of the W204 C63 AMG called the DR520, and they could only be purchased from Brooklands and apparently did it all without the knowledge - nevermind the blessing - of Daimler and AMG specifically. Apparently it ruffled a few feathers because they decided to use Brabus tuning and interior trim and parts - without disclosing their source - and not the AMG Performance Studio.

They could supply Maybach models too, and their Maybach facilities were incredible. Drive inside, get out of the car into a lift in private, and then straight up in a lift to a private suite. As I say it's a flagship dealership close to London and so are much more likely to receive more enquiries for unusual models and factory customisation requests than the rest of the UK.

About 4 years ago when I visited Mercedes Benz Brooklands and looked at the used cars the salesman advised that Mercedes-Benz Brooklands is part of the UKs largest Mercedes-Benz Retailer, owned by the Manufacturer with more than 10 branches in and around London. My E class came to the UK market via MB Retail Group and the paperwork indicates it was supplied to them free of charge!

Suffice it to say that I was speaking to a person in a senior position at our dealership and this dealership is the second largest in the UK. They made it clear that they were far from happy about Mercedes-Benz UK only allowing their very own outlet to have access to this option. To me, the customer, it is plain wrong. It is not as though these cars are painted in this country, it is simply all about placing the order to the producing factory. How dare Mercedes-Benz UK have one rule for Brookland and a different set for the rest of us..... Anger, anger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom