Diesel Software Update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It was done at an indy as part of a service and apparently they are charged for doing it.
I didn't know at the time it was actually the emmisions update as I was not told. - Had I known I would not have had it done.
If I had gone to a main dealer then yes, it would have been free if they offered it to me.

Not sure what they mean by
"check if your car is affected by the recall or the voluntary service measure for the diesel software update"

Is that 2 different recalls, is the recall different from the service measure?

On another question where did the €870 million fine that Mercedes paid for cheating and being dishonest go?

EU pocket?

Not sure what they mean by
"check if your car is affected by the recall or the voluntary service measure for the diesel software update"

Is that 2 different recalls, is the recall different from the service measure?

After entering my VIN, a description comes up confirming it's "eligible" for the voluntary update (no recall mentioned. Maybe different for other VINs?

@TeddyRuxpin could you do me a favour, let me/us know what comes up when you enter your VIN into the MB site?

Interested to know if it will inform you whether it's been carried out, or just let you know it's not required (as it's already been done)

Cheers

Just tried it. It says mine has already been carried out. (Which it has)
@TeddyRuxpin could you do me a favour, let me/us know what comes up when you enter your VIN into the MB site?

Interested to know if it will inform you whether it's been carried out, or just let you know it's not required (as it's already been done)

Cheers

Thanks @Abcan. That should prove whether mine's been done.

I'll give it a few weeks to make sure it's had time to update the database before I check again.

On another question where did the €870 million fine that Mercedes paid for cheating and being dishonest go?

EU pocket?

What makes you think it was ever paid? Most of these fines that are issued get kicked into the long grass of negotiation and never actually get paid. They just get traded further down the line

There was a large common legal case against MB in Germany. Any MB owner (German or not) could participate. I was playing with the idea but decided not to go ahead when I was asked to prepay the 2k something EUR legal fees. As opposed to my UK insurance the German insurance tend to cover these expenses so they did not need to invest.

The way I understood there is one software update only. It is to improve the NOx under real-world conditions. Translation: it has never been any close to the 2015 introduced figure of 0.080. For the OM651 it was (and sadly is) somewhere between 0.373–0.431, 200-600% of the legal limit, depending on EURO5 or 6 and the actual status of the engine. You can find the real figures in this study >>>
As you may think and see there is actually no diesel engine any close to making the limit from any manufacturer. The best ones are JLR 2.0 and BMW 1.6-litre diesel engines. Those are "just" 100% above the limit. The rest is evenly terrible and indeed this engine is among the good ones. (Btw the best MB diesel engine is the 3.0 EURO6.) For some reasons MB was forced to move. (Unclear why the others are not though.) The communication from MB has always been the same: mandatory for the EURO6 specced engine and optional for the EURO5-s. Cars with no AdBlue system can get a special conversion or a buy back offer (at least in Germany, France, Italy, etc...). It looks like MB UK has just started (or forced) to undertake it.

I have an OM651 EURO5 (in a 2014 E300h Blue Eff w. AdBlue) and MB UK told that there was no such update available for my car here in the UK back in last year. (I may ask them now once again.)

On the other hand, I can see the point why it has to be introduced. My personal experience was the car uses much less of AdBlue then it supposed to. (I never managed to get to the end of the 5 gallon AdBlue tank.) The AdBlue to fuel ratio needs to be 2-6%, while it is below 1.5% in practice for sure.) I'd be keen to spend a few pounds more to get a cleaner engine.

Last edited:
2012 C350 - ran the updated ecu for a while, 7th gear will not engage in 'D' until 73mph, DPF soot levels climb continuously.
Put it in manual and you can change to 7th at 53mph

Swapped back to an older version ecu, 7th gear engages at 53mph in 'D'.
Weirdly though, now and again the soot level drops with normal driving - not even while doing a regen.
So yes, more regens as it now takes less time to fill the soot level.

Would you let me know how one can see the actual regeneration and the soot level? Do you need to use some diag tool during or after the driving?

Went in for a service yesterday at mb dealers told him I didn't want the update, he said ok no problem, it's your car you can do what you like, scored through form about recall, wrote below , customer declined, and signed it. Drove home 20 miles, all as it should be, no problem. :thumb:

Has anyone seen the Netflix Dirty Money, series 2 episode 1 - Hard NOx?
Very revealing. Mainly VW related but shows you can't trust any manufacturers.

My car was recalled in November for a software update and they told me it would drink more adblue. I have done nearly 20k in the car since I bought it and never had to top it up. It is going back in on Monday for another recall for a software update and to replace the NoX sensors. I bought the car just out of main warranty from Listers with a 3 year extended warranty which will expire in about 22 months. Guessing I have to get the update done to keep my warranty? Also, the MPG on the car has been gash the entire time I have owned it averaging 38 mpg when driven and only low 40s when miss daisy is in the car. At a push I can get 50mpg on the motorway sitting at 60mph in seventh gear in Eco mode with no air con, no head wind and a perfectly flat road. It has never performed anywhere near the claimed figures and I assume this software update will make it even worse... :wallbash:

Recall update...I had a supplement from Mercedes yesterday...telling me my car will use more add blue...and to be aware it may need additional topping up between services...the booklet was like a cheque book in a million languages...and it tells you to keep it with the original books supplied with the car....

Does this mean the nox sensors will start to fail as more add blue is being used?

Or is just covering their ****.... in case people start to claim...re the emissions scandal...

Recall update...I had a supplement from Mercedes yesterday...telling me my car will use more add blue...and to be aware it may need additional topping up between services...the booklet was like a cheque book in a million languages...and it tells you to keep it with the original books supplied with the car....

Does this mean the nox sensors will start to fail as more add blue is being used?

Or is just covering their ****.... in case people start to claim...re the emissions scandal...
The software update is voluntary only . Having been involved in the VW software update I will be staying clear . No benefit to the owner I guess , it’s just to improve NOX .

Hi Guys , I just did my software engine update to my car and I realised short after few problems and I'm wondering if any of you have similar pb after update
1.low RPM on idle around 550 600 and engine vibration
2.gearbox start to shift gears hars and strange
3. Adblue low level come on . I fill it up with around 15 L of adblue and the error is still on .
And I think they encrypt my ECU because I have an icarsoft diagnostic tool and when I put it on the car I realise I cannot read nothing with him from engine management I don't have this option anymore.
No Nox sensor , no adblue level absolutely nothing . Did any of you have this problems after software update ?
Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom