Disappointed. Tyre noise on 2015 C200 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Torque Steer

Car
C200 estate AMG line
Need some advice please. Yesterday I purchased a 2015 C200 AMG petrol estate as an approved used Mercedes with only 3k miles. Test drive fine but the on journey home the road noise particularly on some motorway sections is awful. A sort of droning. Smooth surface roads seem better but it gets worse at higher speeds. The tyres are the original Continental ContisportContact with MO rating.
Just sold previous model also a Sport AMG and it was really quiet but running on Kumho tyres.
This is really spoiling my enjoyment of the car. I would like to reject it. I'm sure it is the tyres judging by the change in droning sound corresponding to different road surface.
Any suggestions? Take it back to Mercedes? Change the tyres to a different brand? Anyone had similar problems?
Any advice welcome.
Paul

It’s an AMG so it will have wide performance Tyres, with stiff side walls so they will be noisier than a comfort orientated tyre on a small wheel.

Unless it’s really, really bad, then it seems like a very strong reaction to reject the car. It doesn’t sound likely to be a fault.

My winter tyres are noiser than the summer equivalents.
Have you checked that your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure, and just given them the visual once over ?
I had a slow puncture on one of the tyres when I picked the car up. The dealer changed that tyre foc and I’ve never had an issue with tyre noise since.

How much tread is left on them? Some tyres start to drone as they wear down.

Also, check the pressures,

Good points. I checked the pressures and they were a bit high for the load but reducing them to the recommended made no difference. Tyres only done 3k and look new but I could I have a duff one that I can't spot. I accept AMG has harder suspension but 18" wheels and tyre size same as my previous model which was a sport and so much quieter. I expected this new model to be better and more refined as the reviews state.
Paul

Welcome to the noisy world of Contisports! I had them (on 16's) on my S204 when I bought it, swopped to 17's with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics, car is now whisper quiet with no reduction in ride comfort (even SWMBO in passenger seat is happy), grip is good wet and dry, and the car feels more precise so driver (me!) is happy. If you're happy with everything else about the car, i'd suggest a change of tyres with the possibility of selling the current ones on eBay!

Welcome to the noisy world of Contisports! I had them (on 16's) on my S204 when I bought it, swopped to 17's with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics, car is now whisper quiet with no reduction in ride comfort (even SWMBO in passenger seat is happy), grip is good wet and dry, and the car feels more precise so driver (me!) is happy. If you're happy with everything else about the car, i'd suggest a change of tyres with the possibility of selling the current ones on eBay!

Plus 1 for Goodyear F1, Quiet, very good wet and dry grip and good ride quality.

plus 1 for Goodyear F1 or Dunlop sport maxx both much quieter with no noticable difference in grip.

From what you say in post #1, it’s the road surface.

There are sections of the M25 with a slightly ‘corrugated’ surface that generates lots of noise, which seems to get really horrible if 70 is exceeded, think they were doing trials to ensure they kept drivers awake, and slow :(

From what you say in post #1, it’s the road surface.

There are sections of the M25 with a slightly ‘corrugated’ surface that generates lots of noise, which seems to get really horrible if 70 is exceeded, think they were doing trials to ensure they kept drivers awake, and slow :(

Yeah I noticed some horrible sections on the M25. All other motorways are fine though.

On the M25 you are lucky to be doing 30mph anyway so it’s not normally a problem :p

Bit curious that you didn't notice this infernal racket on the test drive ?

and another vote fore dumping Contis for Goodyear F1 Assym for a quieter life

I've just switched from 16" Turanzas (69db) to 17" Crossclimate+ (69db) and the CC+ are significantly quieter despite having the same rated noise.

Crossclimates are also higher loading rated at 94 where Turanzas are 91 so should also have a firmer sidewall and are lower profile. Turanzas are also not that worn.

Last edited:
I’ve currently got contact 6 on my w204 c63. I was initially happy with them but after a few months they’re incredibly noisy. Such a shame as they’re an expensive tyre and now they’re going to be thrown in the bin. I can’t wait to get winters on now.

Thanks for all your replies. I measured the rear treads which are just over 4mm which suprised me with only 3k on the clock. Managed too speak to previous owner who bought it new. She says had no problems with the car but it was hardly used and sat in the sun all the time. I tend to think the tyres have gone hard because of this plus only 4mm tread does not help. She never went on motorways where you hear the noise above 60.
I dont expect Mercedes will do anything but will have a go. I like the sound (or lack of) the Goodyear F1 so will fit a set of these and hope all goes well.
Paul

I've had cars with partly worn Continentals on when I took ownership and both were noisy, I'd be fairly confident that a change of tyres will make you happy.

Well Mercedes are picking the car up week after next to check over and then return the next day. So will wait and see what transpires.
New tyres may well be the answer as others have said.
Thanks guys

This matter continues. Merc picked the car up this Monday 19 Nov and told me they had identified the noise which they thought was tyres. They then substituted another set of wheels and tyres but they say the problem is still there! They are now carrying other checks which will cover gearbox mounts, exhaust mounts, suspension, etc. and will keep the car until next week.
This is all a bit worrying as I'm not convinced it will get properly sorted. I was certain it was tyres!
Under the Consumer Rights Act I have 30 days to reject the car and as I understand, I don't have to let them repair the car, I can get a full refund. Is that correct?
I think I might go down this route but would welcome any advice from anyone who has done this or knows how it works.
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom