distronic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pindy

Help my distronic on my w207 has packed up, and merc have not got a clue. its been in the dealers or 2 weeks. they seem to think its missing some sensors. but i explained it only has a control unit and a radar behind the grill. but they are saying there should be lower radars in the bumper.
basically the radar is not talkig to the control unit
can anyone help

Help my distronic on my w207 has packed up, and merc have not got a clue. its been in the dealers or 2 weeks. they seem to think its missing some sensors. but i explained it only has a control unit and a radar behind the grill. but they are saying there should be lower radars in the bumper.
basically the radar is not talkig to the control unit
can anyone help

Does the car have Distronic or Distronic Plus? The latter one comes with bumper sensors (radar).

I would be surprised if someone can tell what is wrong with it without access to the car with Star Diagnosis.

Well we are all in the SH*T if the dealers don't know. From the vin they should be able to get the build details, even the Russians can get them. My SL has a sensor built into the plastic Merc star in the grille apparently. The owners handbook advises that in snow or muddy conditions it may not work correctly. Maybe the receiver is behind the bumper and that works in the mud? I therefore surmise that this is the only place that the radar sensor is fitted to send out the signal. Surely the dealers must know, complain to MB UK and see what they can do. It also warns that some military installations may switch it off when you are passing!
Don

hi mine has distronic plus, i did not think it had sensors in the bumper but i guess diesel benz could be correct. the dealers says it should have sensors in the bumper but cannot find them nor have they got a part number to order them.
so its been in the dealers while they contact germany, crazy
the star machine is not picking up the distronic as it can not read it so the dealers have removed the bumper and found some loom but no sensors but cannot order sensors as they have not got a part number,
and they cannot get a part number as when they put the chassis number into the system it says it has distronic plus but when on the micro fish they look for sensors they cannot find any.
cant belive this

Has the bumper been replaced at any point with a unit that had no sensors

I don't think Distronic plus has radar sensors in the bumper, isn't the transmitter and receiver behind the grill. The front bumper has sensors for the Parktronic with Advanced Parking Guidance. At least that is how I believed it was in my E350CDi Elegance.

I could of course be completely wrong, but that is how I read it as the sensors in the front bumper are identical to those in the rear bumper.

I'll post a WIS document (will remove it after a while) that claims bumper radar sensors would exist on a W207 too. I had to zip the file to fit it to the forum file size limits.

I believe the ultrasound Parktronic sensors were brought back from W221 facelift onwards and for the W212 etc. The pre-facelift implementation with four front radar units does not work as accurately for very short range when parking the car, the ultrasound sensors are more accurate, at least according to my personal perception, while the short range radars are needed for Distronic Plus when following the car very close like when the car in front stops at traffic lights. One should note that Distronic (without "Plus") does not need bumper radars but it is neither capable of bringing the car to standstill when following a car that stops to traffic lights or so.

It could be that the main radar has improved somehow an could cover a wider view (traditionally the main radar at the grill has a very narrow beam but is reaching very far) and could take the responsibility of the bumper radars.

The rear bumper radars are needed with Blind Spot assist but that is a different topic.

I had a look at EPC and even if the dealers have a bit more fresh content, at least the public one did not list bumper radar parts for the W207. If WIS is right and the bumper radars should exist along with Distronic Plus, I understand the dealer being a bit confused when they cannot find the parts. This has happened before, parts have been installed to a car at the factory but have not been updated to EPC.

Would be nice to have the VIN of the car in question and have a look at different parts at EPC.

Last edited:
hey thanx for the info, the vin number is WDD2073222F032353 if i can just try and find part numbers for the bumper radars it would be great.
i believe that the bumper has been changed and thats why the sensors are missing

hey thanx for the info, the vin number is WDD2073222F032353 if i can just try and find part numbers for the bumper radars it would be great.
i believe that the bumper has been changed and thats why the sensors are missing

Took some time to find the parts because the Distronic Plus parts are given in two different sections of EPC.

The main radar (behind the radiator grill) part number is A2124404714. I'm sure you've to this one. The close proximity radar sensors (2) at the front bumper should have part number A0009050010.

I had to look at Xentry (diagnosis software) too and it does list the SGR control unit for the 207 (with different option code variants) equally as for the 212 (with ultrasound Parktronic sensors for option code 230).

hey big thank u guys! parts are now on order u was correct regarding the 2 bumper radar sensors

hopefully it will all be sorted now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom