• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Do you have a mis-spaced number plate etc?

Saw this earlier
Definitely taking the p--s

Attachments

• 20240701_113138.jpg
    20240701_113138.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 57
I’d ticket that in a heartbeat
Why? Its doing anyone any harm. I’m sure the cameras can read it and it’s easier to remember than UF10NAK in the event of an emergency.

Why? Its doing anyone any harm. I’m sure the cameras can read it and it’s easier to remember than UF10NAK in the event of an emergency.
I’ve often thought that - harder maybe for ANPR cameras (but I’m sure a set of human eyeballs can decipher it if needed), but so much easier for an eye witness of a hit-and-run or the like to remember.

Still looks naff tho…

I’ve often thought that - harder maybe for ANPR cameras (but I’m sure a set of human eyeballs can decipher it if needed), but so much easier for an eye witness of a hit-and-run or the like to remember.

Still looks naff tho…
It’s as naff as fook but who cares.

As I’ve previously posted my plate is mid spaced but the cameras pick it up unfortunately.

Don't get me started on noisy HD'S...

How can something with so little power make so much noise !!?

Almost as bad as the underpowered 4 stroke learner bikes that sound like full blown 450 'supermotard' bikes.

PS: I got my bike licence long before my car licences and there is a (quiet) 4 stroke 'L' plate bike in the family as well.

I HATE the sound those Harleys make. Like a 1960's dumper truck that's ****ed.

But back to plates, I once bought an N11 NNN plate on a car and was so uninterested in it it never occurred to me to keep it.

Doctored plates don't look good to me.

Last edited:
Don't see why the DVLA are holier than thou, as their auction site is encouraging people to mis space. Great money stream, then threaten to withdraw them. They never auction normal registrations. Fair enough if the ANPR cannot read them. As someone had already said, it's easier to remember a name in an emergency than two letters, two numbers, three letters.
Can't be sure but I would imagine that someone with a mis spaced plate is liable to have tax & insurance in case they do get stopped for the plate.

I have a personal plate, legal spacing but no mistaking what it says to those that know my name. My son has the same plate ,with one letter changed, on retention.

Don't see why the DVLA are holier than thou, as their auction site is encouraging people to mis space. Great money stream, then threaten to withdraw them. They never auction normal registrations.

I've bought a couple of registrations from the DVLA before and they made it 100% clear before going ahead that displaying in any non-standard way could result in them being withdrawn. Those were straight online purchases rather than auctions though ... could be the auction site is different.

Before we were rudely interrupted by Harley thumpers (I've never been a fan, but each to their own) there were a few comments about the plates that are the subject of the thread being illegal. Referring to those who choose to display plates that don't comply with the regulations as 'criminals' sounds a bit harsh, but by definition that's just what they are. A criminal is a person who has committed a crime, and a crime is defined as "an action or omission which constitutes ab offence".

But is miss-spacing number plates any more criminal than driving at 80mph on a quiet dry motorway? Neither is the end of the world, but a line has to be drawn for every offence, whether motoring or not. We can moan at length about how absurd many situations are, but unless we want a lawless society we have to accept that there will be times when certain aspects of certain laws don't suit us.

I have a personalised plate on my car, but chose not to bend the regulations with spacing just for show. I don't see the point and I think it looks childish. On the other hand, there are times when I'll drive at over the posted speed limit. To date, after 60 years of driving, I've only been fined once (in Australia) and I accepted that I was in the wrong. I didn't regard the 'minor transgression' as a money-making scheme as many would.

I'm sure we're all 'criminals', it's just a matter of how much of a criminal we as a society are willing to accept.

It's about justice. If you are happy to see someone evade justice in a hit and run scenario then go ahead and subvert the (predominately) two format system to the point it becomes meaningless and witnesses cannot use them as an aid in remembering a registration mark. (Yeah you'll remember 'FIONA' but not all names will be so recognisably English or even be a name). Lawyers love any vagueness in registration mark identification as it gets their clients off the hook - there can never be a prosecution without an identifiable suspect.
Ultimately though, all mis-spaced plates read the same to me - P EN1S - all too often undersized.

Before we were rudely interrupted by Harley thumpers (I've never been a fan, but each to their own) there were a few comments about the plates that are the subject of the thread being illegal. Referring to those who choose to display plates that don't comply with the regulations as 'criminals' sounds a bit harsh, but by definition that's just what they are. A criminal is a person who has committed a crime, and a crime is defined as "an action or omission which constitutes ab offence".

But is miss-spacing number plates any more criminal than driving at 80mph on a quiet dry motorway? Neither is the end of the world, but a line has to be drawn for every offence, whether motoring or not. We can moan at length about how absurd many situations are, but unless we want a lawless society we have to accept that there will be times when certain aspects of certain laws don't suit us.

I have a personalised plate on my car, but chose not to bend the regulations with spacing just for show. I don't see the point and I think it looks childish. On the other hand, there are times when I'll drive at over the posted speed limit. To date, after 60 years of driving, I've only been fined once (in Australia) and I accepted that I was in the wrong. I didn't regard the 'minor transgression' as a money-making scheme as many would.

I'm sure we're all 'criminals', it's just a matter of how much of a criminal we as a society are willing to accept.
I think your last paragraph says it all.

I watched a "Traffic Cop Show" last night, it was based in Newcastle/Sunderland, Traffic Cop was chasing a ANPR Ping and the car involved was showing No MOT, Insurance, Driving Licence etc, when pulled over the Driver was asked to sit in the Patrol Car! :oops:

When he was told what he didn't have, he asked the Cop to "Double Check" the Registration Number, apparently he had been stopped before as his Plate had a Black Screw in the middle of the Fifth Digit, making the "D" look like a "B" :eek: He was advised to fit a Yellow Screw or Bolt to avoid further problems! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom