• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Does approved used car mean a requirement is FSH and it is in line with manufacturer service schedule?

AS162

Car
C class
I am running into some issues and have been fighting to get my deposit back. Please is anyone able to tell me whether a FSH is required for approved used merc? The salesman had “issues” and was unable to show me the full history but said it is approved used so should have full history. I know I’m an idiot for believing.

I was fairly sure that Approved Used cars required a full MB service history. But there's no mention of service history at all on the MB UK website:

The warranty handbook is downloadable there, and that does state ...

Servicing of all vehicles must be carried out
in accordance with vehicle manufacturer
recommendations. Genuine Mercedes-Benz parts,
oils and other fluids or parts, oils and other fluids of
equivalent specification and matching quality must
be used. Failure to comply with this condition will
result in a warranty claim being rejected

That's obviously while the warranty is in force though.

It's reasonable enough to ask to see the past service history before you purchase it, IMHO. But the warranty is excellent and the car will have had a thorough inspection before sale, so would (for example) a late or non-dealer service at some point in the past be a deal-breaker for you?

I was fairly sure that Approved Used cars required a full MB service history. But there's no mention of service history at all on the MB UK website:

It's reasonable enough to ask to see the past service history before you purchase it, IMHO. But the warranty is excellent and the car will have had a thorough inspection before sale, so would (for example) a late or non-dealer service at some point in the past be a deal-breaker for you?
I’m an idiot but I believed the salesman when he said he had “issues” getting the papers but it should be full history as it is approved used. Now I am trying to find out whether this could mean I can get my deposit back as that would be false advertisement with stating approved used if it doesn’t have FSH

I don't know the legalities of your purchase, but if you were assured the car had a full service history and it transpires it has missed a service then you may have grounds for some recompense. A car with missing history is worth less than one with a full and complete history.

If there is a fault you are , I believe , entitled to a full refund within 30 days

From What Car
Can I return a car if I am not happy with it?

If you report to your dealer that you're not happy with a car purchase within 30 days, you have the right to reject and ask for a full refund.

I don't know the legalities of your purchase, but if you were assured the car had a full service history and it transpires it has missed a service then you may have grounds for some recompense. A car with missing history is worth less than one with a full and complete history.

If there is a fault you are , I believe , entitled to a full refund within 30 days

From What Car
Can I return a car if I am not happy with it?

If you report to your dealer that you're not happy with a car purchase within 30 days, you have the right to reject and ask for a full refund.
Thankfully I have not bought the car, just paid the deposit. But verbally communicated it would be FSH as approved used. The salesman already denied he said it was refundable. So I was hoping dealerships can only advertise as approved used if it has FSH

I have just bought an approved used Mercedes (from Vertu, Beaconsfield) and it had a 14 day return for any reason and get a full refund providing it is within 500 miles and same condition as it was sold. Not sure if all MB dealers offer this though.

I’m an idiot but I believed the salesman when he said he had “issues” getting the papers but it should be full history as it is approved used. Now I am trying to find out whether this could mean I can get my deposit back as that would be false advertisement with stating approved used if it doesn’t have FSH

What exactly are the outstanding service item(s) ?

Had an issue with my last purchase regarding the FSH , it turned out that the plugs had not been replaced at the big service and they should have been. Had them replaced at the local MD and was compensated from the supplying dealer which was 440 miles away.

If the vehicle ticks all the boxes then possibly there is a way round the issue which will let you keep the car.

Is the service history not available to view on the headunit ?

K

I have just bought an approved used Mercedes (from Vertu, Beaconsfield) and it had a 14 day return for any reason and get a full refund providing it is within 500 miles and same condition as it was sold. Not sure if all MB dealers offer this though.
Sadly not now reading the T&Cs (yes I’m an idiot reading after but I was rushed by the salesperson and he went through it but scrolled quite quickly)

What exactly are the outstanding service item(s) ?

Had an issue with my last purchase regarding the FSH , it turned out that the plugs had not been replaced at the big service and they should have been. Had them replaced at the local MD and was compensated from the supplying dealer which was 440 miles away.

If the vehicle ticks all the boxes then possibly there is a way round the issue which will let you keep the car.

Is the service history not available to view on the headunit ?

K
There is an issue with the passenger window glass which they said will be replaced. The paint has major scratches and chips. I am thinking they are not going to be able to get the paint work back to good condition. There had been a few things skimmed or I feel misled. I just don’t trust the dealership or salesperson anymore to be able to go through with such a large purchase.

Last edited:
Firstly, insist that you must see an official printout of the service history before you take the purchase any further, as it was promised to you by the salesperson. Put it in writing and copy his/her manager in CC.

They won't have grounds for not returning your deposit if they can't produce the service book printout, unless they claim (in writing) that you were never promised FSH and that Approved Used warranty does not require FSH.

Then, if you get a call from the salesperson, decline to talk to him/her over the phone and insists that they email you instead.

And if you do get the service book printout, post it here and someone will confirm if there's anything missing.

Firstly, insist that you must see an official printout of the service history before you take the purchase any further, as it was promised to you by the salesperson. Put it in writing and copy his/her manager in CC.

They won't have grounds for not returning your deposit if they can't produce the service book printout, unless they claim (in writing) that you were never promised FSH and that Approved Used warranty does not require FSH.

Then, if you get a call from the salesperson, decline to talk to him/her over the phone and insists that they email you instead.

And if you do get the service book printout, post it here and someone will confirm if there's anything missing.
Thank you that does seem to be the best way forward. They’ve already denied saying a deposit is refundable so I only assume they’ll deny anything else. This was why I was looking to see if FSH is required as it would be false advertising labelled as approved used but I will see how this pans out and update the thread.

Missed the last bit. Surely if the warranty handbook mentions it then it has to be a rule for it to be considered approved used because if not then the warranty will be nulled? Or this might be separate and I am going off the wrong direction

There is no requirement for a Mercedes-Benz approved used car to have Full Mercedes-Benz Service History, but many buyers expect it. They also expect it to have been completed in full, on time and according to the schedule but often don’t check before committing to buy.

Unless I’ve missed it, what is your concern with the service history? If iit’s just not been presented yet, just make it clear to the salesperson that you need to see a print out before completing the sale, and if it’s incomplete or not in line with the schedule then you will request your deposit back.

You mention2: issues with paint and glass, were these known to you prior to placing a deposit? If not, then let the dealer know that either (a) you wish to receive a refund due to these issues coming to light; or (b) will need both repaired to a satisfactory standard before completing the deal.

Finally, which type of despiser have you placed, is it a small deposit to hold the car whilst you decide (eg £100 or £500) or a substantial deposit because you wish to proceed with the purchase. The former should be easily refunded, and the latter shouldn’t receive too much resistance.

PS How was the service history described in the advert?

And, have you paid the deposit using a credit card? If so, then you will have additional protection under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

There is no requirement for a Mercedes-Benz approved used car to have Full Mercedes-Benz Service History, but many buyers expect it. They also expect it to have been completed in full, on time and according to the schedule but often don’t check before committing to buy.

Unless I’ve missed it, what is your concern with the service history? If iit’s just not been presented yet, just make it clear to the salesperson that you need to see a print out before completing the sale, and if it’s incomplete or not in line with the schedule then you will request your deposit back.

You mention2: issues with paint and glass, were these known to you prior to placing a deposit? If not, then let the dealer know that either (a) you wish to receive a refund due to these issues coming to light; or (b) will need both repaired to a satisfactory standard before completing the deal.

Finally, which type of despiser have you placed, is it a small deposit to hold the car whilst you decide (eg £100 or £500) or a substantial deposit because you wish to proceed with the purchase. The former should be easily refunded, and the latter shouldn’t receive too much resistance.

PS How was the service history described in the advert?
My expectations were a full service history and the salesperson mentioned it should be as it is approved used (verbal communication).

My concern is the paintwork will not be to satisfactory standard and I don’t know about the quality of work with them replacing the glass window or if other issues will arise from there. When I look back at how he glossed over details and how he was sneaky about how he worded things I just can’t trust them anymore. Also given he said the deposit was refundable but denied it is not really a dealership I want to go with. I had assumed with “approved used” things would be smoother and better quality but it is a joke and I don’t see any difference with used and approved used anymore.

£500, so it is a lot to lose out.

There was no mention of it which is why I asked but he was not able to get the details due to “some issues on the system” but did say full service as it is approved used car.

And, have you paid the deposit using a credit card? If so, then you will have additional protection under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
Sadly not. I’ll be investing in a credit card now which I should have done from past and current experiences with salesmen.

There is an issue with the passenger window glass which they said will be replaced. The paint has major scratches and chips. I am thinking they are not going to be able to get the paint work back to good condition. There had been a few things skimmed or I feel misled. I just don’t trust the dealership or salesperson anymore to be able to go through with such a large purchase.

You not trusting the dealership / salesperson is not a valid reason for returning the vehicle , if it has a few scratches then depending on how old the vehicle is or how many miles it has then it maybe deemed consummate with the age / mileage etc.

FWIW , vehicles are put up for sale with the minimum of prep as that takes time and money which eats into their profit so it is unfortunately up to the buyer to point things out that aren`t up to the dealers supposedly high standards , it happened to me.

So , for clarity.

The service history anomaly (if there is one) will be your get out of the sale clause and get your deposit returned - what happens if the car has got a FSH , where do you go next ?

RE the "comprehensive used car warranty" - how can they offer this without the car being serviced in accordance with manufacturers criteria ?

K

RE the "comprehensive used car warranty" - how can they offer this without the car being serviced in accordance with manufacturers criteria ?

K

The Approved Used warranty is not the same as new car warranty, instead it's essentially a mechanical breakdown warranty (I.e. an insurance product), and it all depends on the T&C - " the car being serviced in accordance with manufacturers criteria" may or may not be a prerequisite, I do not know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom