• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Does approved used car mean a requirement is FSH and it is in line with manufacturer service schedule?

Not quite - if the salesperson told you that the car had FSH, then keep insisting on it, even if it becomes your word against theirs. 'Not as described' is a valid reason to cancel the order.

But of course, if the car does have FSH, and it is presented to you, then you won't be able to cancel the order without losing the deposit simply based on the fact that you don't believe that they'll do a good enough job with the paint correction.

Having said that, it shouldn't take a dealer more than a few seconds to print out the service book - my guess is that the service history is not on the MB Digital Service Book system, and that the salesperson is expecting to receive copies of invoices issued by an independent garage, which were likely included with the auction when the dealer bought the car, but may have gone missing since.

As for the various things that were promised - paint correction, rear glass, FSH - or anything else that isn't right - my advice is to not collect the car until they have all been sorted to your satisfaction, even if you travelled from a far to the dealership - just leave the car at the dealer and tell them that you'll cone back again when it's properly ready. Do not accept any promises of future repairs.
OMG I managed to find an image from the advert saying the service is overdue by so many days on the dashboard! But as I’ve never owned a merc (a little put off getting a merc now) so not sure if there can be inaccuracies from it.

That would be the worst case scenario if it was auctioned. I can’t stop thinking about how many red flags there were and I just walked through them. He isn’t replying or answering my calls. Can’t even see him in the branch. I am ignored.

I definitely will be doing that. But at this point I have checked the obvious issues but as I’m not knowledgable in this area I can’t imagine them doing more than what I’ve raised. I don’t think there’s anything more I can do and I’m so depressed and dejected over this.

I never realised that the 12m warranty that came with Mercedes Approved used vehicle was supplied through a third party.

That's one of the reasons the AU scheme isn't what it once was.

The feeling 20 years ago was that MB looked after their customers - these days the feeling is they subcontract third parties to look after their customers.

OMG I managed to find an image from the advert saying the service is overdue by so many days on the dashboard! But as I’ve never owned a merc (a little put off getting a merc now) so not sure if there can be inaccuracies from it.

It's not necessarily a concern.

AU cars come from various sources. In some cases they may sit around for a while. In general dealers won't do work on a car until it is about to be sold. So that means the service could become overdue while the car is in the AU resale pipeline.

It's not necessarily a concern.

AU cars come from various sources. In some cases they may sit around for a while. In general dealers won't do work on a car until it is about to be sold. So that means the service could become overdue while the car is in the AU resale pipeline.
For me one of the requirements was a full service history so I would also be put off if it wasn’t serviced for a long time.

We bought an Approved Used C Class estate that we were told had FMBSH. When I checked, one of the services had been done by an independent garage.

I would expect it not to matter where it was serviced as long as it was done correctly and on time. As much as main dealers including Mercedes would like you to believe it you don't even need to have a main dealer service it during the warranty period as long as genuine parts are used and its done by qualified mechanic then that's it....your factory new car warranty will be valid....that's the LAW...so don't let Merc fob you off about your warranty being void if they find you have had it serviced somewhere other than Mercedes themselves.

He isn’t replying or answering my calls. Can’t even see him in the branch. I am ignored.
Go in or phone to arrange an appointment with the Sales Manager or Dealer Principal. If no one will see you kick up a fuss preferably when other customers are around. Someone will suddenly appear.

As an aside not all AU cars have the AU warranty. Anything under 2 years old uses the remainder of the original 3 year one instead.

Which is better cover... but it does require FSH (though not necessarily MB FSH).

I never realised that the 12m warranty that came with Mercedes Approved used vehicle was supplied through a third party.

K

Technically, yes.

Any sort of extended warranty is in fact an insurance product, and has to be provided by a regulated provider.

The provider may be part of the manufacture's group, e.g. 'Mercedes-Benz Finance Services Ltd' etc, but it's still a separate legal entity and therefore technically a third party.

I would expect it not to matter where it was serviced as long as it was done correctly and on time. As much as main dealers including Mercedes would like you to believe it you don't even need to have a main dealer service it during the warranty period as long as genuine parts are used and its done by qualified mechanic then that's it....your factory new car warranty will be valid....that's the LAW...so don't let Merc fob you off about your warranty being void if they find you have had it serviced somewhere other than Mercedes themselves.

Yep I posted to that effect earlier - MB's wording is:

Servicing of all vehicles must be carried out
in accordance with vehicle manufacturer
recommendations. Genuine Mercedes-Benz parts,
oils and other fluids or parts, oils and other fluids of
equivalent specification and matching quality must
be used. Failure to comply with this condition will
result in a warranty claim being rejected

The point was just that the salesman had told us the car we were buying had FMBSH when this wasn't true.

OP, before you think about going in with all guns blazing, just be aware that the definition of 'full service history' and many people's understanding of 'full service history' aren't necessarily the same thing.

A full service history might simply be that, a full history of what's been serviced. That does not necessarily mean 'has been fully serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's service schedule, using genuine/approved/ same spec parts'. It might, but it might not. Checking the detail is the crucial point.

The reality is that many franchised dealers do not prepare cars as well as they used to years ago, in my experience, probably because many are part of a group and cars are often moved between the different dealers if they aren't sold within a specified time, or sent to auction, so costs incurred upfront might be borne by the initial garage. Many will do the minimum required initially and only do other things if the customer points them out. However, it's not true for all garages, ie there's one near me that fully prepares cars before they appear in the showroom/forecourt, such that you'd struggle to find anything wrong at all. However, they'll keep stock for a long time. The downside of that is that you aren't able see how the previous owner kept the car.

In my experience, yes.

We bought an Approved Used C Class estate that we were told had FMBSH. When I checked, one of the services had been done by an independent garage.

It developed an intermittent fault with the indicator repeater in the driver's door mirror (a common issue due to the wiring flexing as it folds). This was fixed under the warranty without any quibble - they replaced the whole mirror unit. As mentioned this was only intermittent and definitely not a 'breakdown'. I've also had the battery replaced FOC on two AU cars without any issues - these are almost always excluded as 'wear & tear' items. I got a free service on one car too - this is covered if required within 3(?) months of you buying it. They also pay for any work required for an MOT pass if this comes up during the warranty period, and IIRC you get key insurance.

IMHO it's a pretty decent warranty - I've had *much* worse ones on other used cars.

As an aside not all AU cars have the AU warranty. Anything under 2 years old uses the remainder of the original 3 year one instead.
Just trying to understand how this all works. So for new cars they have 3 years warranty then after that you would need to apply for an extended warranty? Is extended warranty under approved used cars?

OP, before you think about going in with all guns blazing, just be aware that the definition of 'full service history' and many people's understanding of 'full service history' aren't necessarily the same thing.

A full service history might simply be that, a full history of what's been serviced. That does not necessarily mean 'has been fully serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's service schedule, using genuine/approved/ same spec parts'. It might, but it might not. Checking the detail is the crucial point.

The reality is that many franchised dealers do not prepare cars as well as they used to years ago, in my experience, probably because many are part of a group and cars are often moved between the different dealers if they aren't sold within a specified time, or sent to auction, so costs incurred upfront might be borne by the initial garage. Many will do the minimum required initially and only do other things if the customer points them out. However, it's not true for all garages, ie there's one near me that fully prepares cars before they appear in the showroom/forecourt, such that you'd struggle to find anything wrong at all. However, they'll keep stock for a long time. The downside of that is that you aren't able see how the previous owner kept the car.
The top searches for full service history such as AA defines it as “vehicle has been maintained in line with a manufacturer's service schedule and comes with all the relevant documents as proof. It also means that any paperwork for repairs is on hand.” I didn’t think for the definition to be such a grey area.

Agreed. I tend to keep my car for a long time and things with garages have definitely changed. It is so hard to find a decent dealership and garage these days.

Just trying to understand how this all works. So for new cars they have 3 years warranty then after that you would need to apply for an extended warranty? Is extended warranty under approved used cars?

You get a three year manufacturers warranty with a new vehicle , on an approved used car over three years you get a 12m warranty , 24m if it is an AMG.

After the 12m approved used warranty has expired you can extend it , at a price , providing servicing criteria has been met.

K

I have to confess that all this obsession with service history and full service history and full dealer service history etc is, to me, meaningless.
If the car is what you want and they agree to fix the identified issues, go ahead with it and pay the balance on collection if the issues have been dealt with.
All the service documentation in the world will not guarantee a mechanical fault free car. After all, you have no idea who carried out the service,the "technician" or the tea boy. If indeed it was actually carried out.

There's a grace period for late servicing (from memory it's either 30 days or 60 days), which won't affect any warranty the car may have.

And if a service is due, then they are bound to service the car before delivery, if they are to sell it as an Approved Used.

You really need to get hold of whatever service history the car has, MB or otherwise, before making your next move.

There's a grace period for late servicing (from memory it's either 30 days or 60 days), which won't affect any warranty the car may have.

And if a service is due, then they are bound to service the car before delivery, if they are to sell it as an Approved Used.

You really need to get hold of whatever service history the car has, MB or otherwise, before making your next move.
Thank you I will need to go in the dealership to get a hold of someone again. They mentioned servicing it as it is due soon. However if it has missed for example the last year service then I’d assume even if they service it for me then last year having missed a service it would not be considered full?

As JHS points out it is more about the car than its service history. My CLK has not had a stamp in the service book during my ownership, however it is possibly better looked after from a service point of view than a car with a full SH. I keep a file with every invoice for parts and date stamped photos of any work done. I also keep a stock of service items ready to fit as needed.

Reactions: JHS
Thank you I will need to go in the dealership to get a hold of someone again. They mentioned servicing it as it is due soon. However if it has missed for example the last year service then I’d assume even if they service it for me then last year having missed a service it would not be considered full?

In that case, you could argue that the car does not have a Full Service History, though - again - you'll need to insist that this is what has been promised.

As JHS points out it is more about the car than its service history. My CLK has not had a stamp in the service book during my ownership, however it is possibly better looked after from a service point of view than a car with a full SH. I keep a file with every invoice for parts and date stamped photos of any work done. I also keep a stock of service items ready to fit as needed.
I do not know too much about cars but I’d feel a peace of mind knowing it had FSH as like me some people might not know there is an issue or something needing changed in a yearly service which could become bigger issues down the line. I’m just a bit miffed (which I should have picked up on) with how he answered or glossed over things.

The issue isn't the car itself... it's the fact that without FSH, the car is worth less than it was advertised for.

If I agreed to buy a car that was sold to me as having FSH, and it turned out that it did not, then I would still be happy to keep the car - if I liked it - but I would expect a reduction in price, on the premise that if I tried to sell it on, the potential buyer will knock down the price due to lack of SFH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom