Does the back of my W212 E350 sit correctly? (height wise)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cfoster

Car
W212 E350, Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, W201 190e, 2019 Volvo V90 R Design, Mk5 Golf Gti
Hi all,

I have just removed the 'air ride' suspension from my 2010 E350 saloon in preparation for selling and noticed that the rear of the car sits somewhat higher than i remember it being when I bought it? I've taken a quick couple of pics tonight to show but will take some better ones tomorrow. Does it look too high? All that was replaced was the shock and the springs when the other suspension was fitted. Would the springs need bedding in again to drop the back slightly (they have been off the car around 8 months)? I'm quite sure I have fitted them correctly (they only go one way really with the rubber cup at the of the spring.....).

fb photos upload

Thanks

Where the coil springs sit in the lower arms there’s usually a spot where the ends of the coils should sit against - are they aligned properly? The tops should be flat with the rubber cups as you say.

Indeed yes in a fairly thin metal thing the spring sits on, indeed they are right up to where they should be. I noticed the front shocks felt quite soft so wondering if they are lower than the should be which in turn is taking the rear up?

The shocks have no bearing on the ride height.
I am confused by your first post !
You imply that the springs were on before ?
Did the car originally have air and is now converted to metal, or is it reverting to metal ?
To exactly set the ride height, rubber shims are used.
The size of the shims are exactly matched to a particular car depending on the build.

to confirm I bought the car with the standard shocks / springs, fitted air ride to it a while back, this was using coilover shocks and airbags. I have now removed the air suspension and refitted the original shocks and springs on it so it is back to standard, just looks like it sits too high at the back?

Thanks for that.
If you refitted all the shims then it should be good.
With the VIN, the fitted shims can be verified. Your friendly MB parts guy can check it, or anybody with access to WIS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom