DPF Soot level display

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@BlackC55 You mean when the DPF is going to do it's regen?

One time I put the car in the garage after a long drive, the fans stayed on - it was a vey hot day so thought nothing of it.

Next morning, oil all over the floor, oil seals had blown. Later figured it was stuck in a regen - long story -
I know the cooler seals blow but this was too much of a coincidence, prob 800C at the dpf and over 105C oil temp and shut in a garage with little air circulation didn't help.

I now don't like to shut it off and put it away untill the dpf is back down below 200C

I'm doing longer motorway journeys now so it's not so bad as it mainly regens on route but before, 9 times out of 10 it would start a regen after a 15 mile drive while coming off the motorway 2 miles from home..

I can have a quick look at the app, tells me 30%, so good for a couple of days. If it shows 80% I can maybe choose a better route and keep an eye on it till it's done..

Guess in short, I'm paranoid and don't want to fork out another 2k + on repairs.

Reactions: m80
You mean when the DPF is going to do it's regen?
My thinking is a little different.

By being able to see the soot level and the mileage since last regen I would get an early(ish) warning that the regen system has failed.

It may be something as simple as the regular failure of the DP sensor.

I could take remedial action before the system, such as the DPF, requires more attention.

Then there is the too regular regens, more difficult to address but still a warning of issue.

Found the DPF temp, thought I also had the mileage sorted, it works and only goes up when driving unlike the DPF % which can rise while stationary. However, unlike my iCarsoft, it drops down during a regen ?
Anyhow, decided this is not needed so removed the display. I now know when I need to find a clear route to let it start/finish a regen.
Just switch it on every few days and check the %, then keep an eye if needed..
HI Merc 07

Could you let me know the PID that you use for soot %, I have an icarsoft so can see it but also have the torque app which is so much nicer to use..

Torque works fine on most cars i have tried but on my Mercedes (E250, 2013) it doesnt see the DPF data or exhaust gas Temps.

HI Merc 07

Could you let me know the PID that you use for soot %, I have an icarsoft so can see it but also have the torque app which is so much nicer to use..

Torque works fine on most cars i have tried but on my Mercedes (E250, 2013) it doesnt see the DPF data or exhaust gas Temps.
The egt temp is one of the standard PID's within the torque app, you should at least see that one.

My DPF level PID will not work on your vehicle, you have a different ecu.

If you have the icarsoft, use an obd sniffer to figure the instruction sent to the ecu...

The egt temp is one of the standard PID's within the torque app, you should at least see that one.

If you have the icarsoft, use an obd sniffer to figure the instruction sent to the ecu...
Thanks for the reply, merc07

May well have to resort to sniffing the ODB, Its something that I have not sniffed before ;-)

I struggle to believe that no one in this forum knows the codes for my car though ..

May well have to resort to sniffing the ODB, Its something that I have not sniffed before ;-)

I struggle to believe that no one in this forum knows the codes for my car though ..
I think not many understand PID values / Torque app.

Most are happy to install an led to tell you when the regen is taking place which in my view is a little late, and obvious anyhow..

AFAIK the only PID that gives you something other than DPF temps is 7A. That can give you DPF absolute and/or delta pressures. I don't know of one that gives you soot load in grams or percent.

To get any useful data you'll need the mode $22 DIDs, which is what Xentry, iCarsoft etc use. My car is only Euro 3, so I can't sniff what DID is used for that unfortunately.

Mode $01 PIDs are ISO standardised, so are the same for MB, BMW, Ford etc.

Mode $22 DIDs are manufacturer proprietary, but even then usually a manufacturer will commonise them across all their vehicles. That's the whole point of a DID, to reduce complexity.

I think not many understand PID values / Torque app.

Most are happy to install an led to tell you when the regen is taking place which in my view is a little late, and obvious anyhow..
Looks like the only additional paraphernalia for ODB sniffing I need is a splitter cable, think I have everything else. Will prob give it a go at some point...

Yes, correct, I use a $22 PID, sniffed from the OBD using a simple home made sniffer, there are plenty of details online on how to build one.

The PID only seems to work on my ecu type....It's the same with icarsoft, for some vehicles it doesn't show levels, some have percent, some grams, all are different - that maybe down to the calculation though, who knows.

As for the sniffer, think I used a nano and a 2515, I'll check laters, like you all I needed was the splitter..

If you want to know what mode $01 PIDs are supported on your car you can see if you don't mind using the Elm327 terminal. The Car Scanner app has one.
If you read PID 00 it will respond with a bit encoded response detailing which PIDs 01-20 are supported. PID 20 will detail PIDs 21-40, etc.

In this example PID 20 responded B001A001, which is bits 0,13,15,16, 28, 29 and 31. That means PIDs 21,23, 24,30,31,33 and 40 are supported.

To show that works, reading PID 21 gives a positive response, PID 22 gives a negative response.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211116_233052_com.ovz.carscanner.jpg
    Screenshot_20211116_233052_com.ovz.carscanner.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 11

I’m confused here, what is “sniffed” and “sniffing” ?

I find this thread fascinating. At the risk of derailing it, has anyone estimated the additional diesel consumed during a regen? I bet it isn't included in the mpg figures.

Torque scan has a similar function also, not used it before will have to have a look.

I watched the live mpg just before and during the regen while on cruise at 60mph on the motorway - there was zero change - maybe that is also rigged !

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230131-182627_TorqueScan.jpg
    Screenshot_20230131-182627_TorqueScan.jpg
    837 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230131_182201.jpg
    20230131_182201.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20230131_182446.jpg
    20230131_182446.jpg
    645.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
If you want to know what mode $01 PIDs are supported on your car you can see if you don't mind using the Elm327 terminal. The Car Scanner app has one.
If you read PID 00 it will respond with a bit encoded response detailing which PIDs 01-20 are supported. PID 20 will detail PIDs 21-40, etc.

In this example PID 20 responded B001A001, which is bits 0,13,15,16, 28, 29 and 31. That means PIDs 21,23, 24,30,31,33 and 40 are supported.

To show that works, reading PID 21 gives a positive response, PID 22 gives a negative response.
Thanks for the reply and Info, I believe that the TorqueScan App does similar, i have downloaded it but not had chance to try it yet. was going to give it a go when I have a bit of time spare.

I find this thread fascinating. At the risk of derailing it, has anyone estimated the additional diesel consumed during a regen? I bet it isn't included in the mpg figures.
I did an OBD display reset, cruising at 60, on the M25. Not definitive but I calculated an increased consumption of less than 2%.

Around town I think this would be worse.
But it demonstrated to me that it isn't a concern.

I did an OBD display reset, cruising at 60, on the M25. Not definitive but I calculated an increased consumption of less than 2%.

Around town I think this would be worse.
But it demonstrated to me that it isn't a concern.
I was foolishly? hoping for a figure in additional estaimated litres (over the number of miles taken for the regeneration process). But thanks for the %.

I was foolishly? hoping for a figure in additional estaimated litres (over the number of miles taken for the regeneration process). But thanks for the %.
Different cars / weights/ engines, different consumption.
In truth a lighter than my Viano might take more fuel, or run the regen longer to achieve the incineration required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom