• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

E Class Convertible - What's it like living with one?

Nat

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS55, 911t, 3dr Cosworth, MT 10.
I'm looking at these (2010? onwards) and wondering if they'll work for me. As much as I like the CLK (which just sadly seem outdated and the latter petrol models hit with the stupid high tax of nr on £700 per year). I've usually had a CLK convertible every year since the 209's have been about and sold the last one, last summer as I was offered good money for it. Also had some SLK's but these won't work as the dog will be coming with us and there's no space in it apart from the floor and he's a head out the window fellow.

There seems to be a lot of dervs about which might not work as the next convertible will probably only be doing a few k's a year. It also looks like most of the petrol engines are 4 pot - are they any good and do the suffer from timing chain issues? Do these year Merc also suffer from rusty subframes? Electrics ok?

I quite like the idea of a 4 seater convertible with memory heated seats as well as air scarf. Anything else to look out on these?

Thanks

aQhImwX.jpg

UVO5xgo.jpg

After my CLS55 was totalled I bought an E350 bluetec cabriolet from Mercland a couple of months ago. I like it a lot. The V6 is smooth and torquey with a good turn of speed. I tested an E220 which was dreadful. Rough and gutless 4 pot.
Winter driving with the hood down is great with Airscarf, Aircap and hot seats. Drive one and see how you like it.

Keeping the hood clean can be a time consuming issue if the car isn't garaged. This is the main reason I swapped a rag top for the SLK as my car sits on the driveway. During the winter season green mould quickly accumulates in the weave of the fabric and in spring time bird droppings are an absolute nightmare to clean off, especially if it's a warm sunny day. As for the airscarf, I find a total waste of time if wearing a coat with a high-ish collar as you can't feel the benefit, but the heated seats are cosy. 👍🏼

I've recently purchased an E250 CDI 2010 back at the end of August to replace my Mini cabriolet. I had to scratch that itch as they say. I don't do many miles with occasional trips to Heathrow for work trip, so it gets a run then. So with that in mind hubby said I'd need a petrol car. We (more he) engineered that it wasn't a small 4 pot so we went looking for the V6. We viewed a couple and the best one was a 2 hour drive away, which ended up being a massive disappointment and peeved at the selling dealer. After a few weeks we reassessed it and found a 1 owner car with FSH. I loved it and whilst being an old car the condition was lovely. It was probably an easy sell as I couldn't stop smiling and got a little carried away in the moment. Regarding the car itself. We have 2 dogs, one being a puppy. Over Christmas we went to my sisters and took the pup. So I just lowered the roof and had the cage lifted in onto a blanket. It fitted fine and the trip went well. Now when he's older I'm not sure the dogs (Labrador & Cocker spaniel) would be allowed on those seats unless protected by a blanket or it was an emergency. Fortunately we have a second car which is more dog friendly. We recently lost our westie and I think you'd be fine though as there's no weight in them, or what ever routine you have. The car itself is sporty and economical. I've only had 2 issues, one being age related and the other was a "cleared code not returned". No problems with the DPF and the car has been everything i wished for. It looks good, with nice shove and comfortable. It there's is one thing I'm not keen on is the hood tray thing in the boot. Just when you think I'll push that button, the dash says do the tray thing.

Went from a CLK 280 Petrol to an E 400 petrol both cabrios, the E is better in every way, more powerful, more economic, more modern by a mile, possibly only negative the CLK was vv comfortable on the road.

Thanks for your replies :cool:

It seems the petrol versions are in short supply with plenty of dervs about. Ideally for the miles it'll do a petrol would be better but hey ho as pretty sure I'll be able to put some miles on it instead of one of the other cars. Seems to be that quite a few of the ones where I've done an MOT check on have advisories for brake pipes. Expensive fix? Along with some reports of electrical problems of different varieties to boot.

Quite like the idea of the GAP (?) on top of the front screen and the other thing I need to take into consideration is wind buffeting. Do they need additional wind deflector as I know the one on my last CLK made a lot of difference, or is the OEM set up good enough for motorway driving?

Hi , I did have a 2016 C207E400 with a full MB service plan history.

Alas the car is no more.

If I was in your position I would have the car totally inspected paying particular attention to the subframes.

These frames apparently rust from the inside !

The soft top car can have trouble with water entering the cills.

Reactions: Nat
Hi , I did have a 2016 C207E400 with a full MB service plan history.

Alas the car is no more.

If I was in your position I would have the car totally inspected paying particular attention to the subframes.

These frames apparently rust from the inside !

The soft top car can have trouble with water entering the cills.
The soft top car can have trouble with water entering the cills. Just remove the drain plugs.

Reference the corrosion on the underneath. It seems like a hit and miss thing that some will be ok, while others won't. I know from a few years back my last SLK suffered from it and Merc wouldn't have it despite having full Merc services from new. Other people were lucky with Merc changing theres.

I've found a soot chucker and been in contact with the owner and will probably end up buying this. It's got memory seats, sensible miles and good history. I have looked at the facelift 350's that are euro 6 but memory seats, miles and price are relevant and quite rare.

Thanks for your replies :cool:

It seems the petrol versions are in short supply with plenty of dervs about. Ideally for the miles it'll do a petrol would be better but hey ho as pretty sure I'll be able to put some miles on it instead of one of the other cars. Seems to be that quite a few of the ones where I've done an MOT check on have advisories for brake pipes. Expensive fix? Along with some reports of electrical problems of different varieties to boot.

Quite like the idea of the GAP (?) on top of the front screen and the other thing I need to take into consideration is wind buffeting. Do they need additional wind deflector as I know the one on my last CLK made a lot of difference, or is the OEM set up good enough for motorway driving?
Think that all have the air cap on the top of the windscreen, just some are manual and some speed sensitive automatic. No they don't need an additional air deflector, the built in one behind the back seats works well, however I do have the additional one for peace of mind at high speed on the autobahns for stopping stuff on the back seats flying away.

Hello

Re "SLK" looking up the tv show "Flipping Bangers" they did two I think - look up the blue-coloured car for insight.

Re CLK - one of my children had the hardtop many years ago - looked great 10 or so years ago now IMO looks very dated outside and inside

Re E class like the one in the pic on the threads, IMO still looks good IMO

My wife 2016 E400 cabriolet is still going strong. My 2014 E350 estate is a joy to drive, but the 400 takes it up a level. The V6 pulls like hell and the exhaust tone is head turning when the taps are partially/fully open. I’ve never really had quite the same fulfilment with my car.

We’ve had it for just over 5 years and hoping to keep it for another 5. It has the Premium + package which gives the extra comfort whether you are just cruising or giving it the beans.

Likewise we don’t do a huge amount of mileage, so not worried about fuel, etc. Although we’re planning on taking it to Lake Annecy later this year to really stretch its legs.

My wife 2016 E400 cabriolet is still going strong. My 2014 E350 estate is a joy to drive, but the 400 takes it up a level. The V6 pulls like hell and the exhaust tone is head turning when the taps are partially/fully open. I’ve never really had quite the same fulfilment with my car.

We’ve had it for just over 5 years and hoping to keep it for another 5. It has the Premium + package which gives the extra comfort whether you are just cruising or giving it the beans.

Likewise we don’t do a huge amount of mileage, so not worried about fuel, etc. Although we’re planning on taking it to Lake Annecy later this year to really stretch its legs.
Took mine to Lake Annecy last September and on to Maurienne for all the mountain passes, brilliant.

Reference the corrosion on the underneath. It seems like a hit and miss thing that some will be ok, while others won't. I know from a few years back my last SLK suffered from it and Merc wouldn't have it despite having full Merc services from new. Other people were lucky with Merc changing theres.

I've found a soot chucker and been in contact with the owner and will probably end up buying this. It's got memory seats, sensible miles and good history. I have looked at the facelift 350's that are euro 6 but memory seats, miles and price are relevant and quite rare.
Any update ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom