E-Class estate S213 different size winter tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickpb

Car
A180d Sport Executive
So I have the new E-Class estate, S213 AMG style. The car currently has 20"wheels (not my choice, they were on the car when I got it). Tyres are 275/30 on the rear and 245/35 on the front (runflats).

Looking at winter tyres I have the following choices:
1. Change the tyres only. Cost is around 1800 pounds!
2. Change the wheels and tyres. Cost from 1500 pounds.

So given that MB and also some tyre firms recommend that winter tyres are the same size all round, and the fact that the only tyre manufacturer that appears to do winter tyres in my size is Pirelli, I think option 1 is out. Another reason against it is that if we do get a bad winter then I'd rather not risk damaging my expensive 20"wheels!

So that leaves option 2. This is where I would appreciate your thoughts please.

MB have some 17"winter alloys with 225/55/17 tyres that are not too expensive (340 each). They are currently my first choice. I should say at this time that I am not a fast, sporty driver. I have my moments but they're usually when I'm driving in Europe, but I won't be doing that with the winter tyres. Most of my driving is short hops with the odd motorway cruise. I should also add that I love the look of my car, but I'm not precious about it so if the tyres don't look as good, well tough.

I know the 17"wheels will be a softer ride because the profile is greater but that's something I can abide. I could go to a larger wheel with a correspondingly lower profile tyre but that pushes the price up, and I can't really justify that.

What does the team think? Has anyone else done similar?

Thanks.

I have on my cls staggered amg alloys summer tires 285 30 19 and 255 35 19 and really like the look of it.
For winter genuine mb alloys with winter tires, I would need to check, but I think 245 x 18 and they are OK.
I wouldn't want to go for 17, I know cheaper, but I think brake the look of the car.
In your case - going from 20 to 17 - might be too much and I don't think you accept the look of it.
Best way would be go to dealer and ask to fit 2 on one side and decide.

The wheels are 5 spoke and look quite good but obviously there'd will be a greater tyre area than there is now but I honestly don't think that will bother me that much. I think the thing I will notice most is the softer ride that the 225/55 tyres will give me. Might be a good buffer against all the bloody potholes!

Check what the smallest size rim is that will fit over your brakes, that'll likely determine which route you go.

You might find 17" is not large enough.

Choice 1: Tyres only £1800

Is that a typo? £450 per tyre??? Yikes.

Also check the tyre prices, I've just done a quick search and found Vredstein Wintrac Xtreme S at the sizes you mention above at £230 - £250 per corner.

I've ordered 4 x Sottozero's for our Audi which is on 19" rims for £808 fitted. I do know the step up to 20" is expensive on these tyres as at that size they are made for supercars and come with the price tag. Basically the drop from 20" to 19" is a big difference in tyre price for winters.

I'm fitting winters to the standard rims that came on the car and I'm considering a set of summer wheels when spring arrives. I'll make a decision nearer the time.

Ah, sadly my tyres are runflat and it seems that the only people who make winter tyres in my size are Pirelli, and yes, they are around 460 front and 440 rear (not sure why the bigger tyre it's cheaper but it is).

17"wheels will fit my car according to my local MB dealer and I'm really not that bothered that they might 'break the look of my car'. As long as they do the job and keep me safe, that's my main priority. I expect the handling to be a lot softer (yes!) But I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Just a quick update.
Turns out that the 17" wheels won't fit over the larger brake calipers that the AMG-Style uses. Despite my telling the dealer the model I had and the chassis number, they still insisted they would fit.
So I've given up and ordered a set of 19" winter wheel/tyres from and indy - not cheaper but at least he knows whet he is doing. Why 19" Well it turns out that the 19" combos are cheaper than the 18" ones. Why? Who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom