e class headlight shell covers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DavidL

MB Enthusiast
Car
s203 C55, x218 CLS63
I'm going to get the headlight covers replaced as one is quite cloucy and I've used one of these rejuvenators in the past but they seem to have a lifespan. There are plenty on ebay and the like but has anyone used some and can recommend (or not) what they had?
This sort of thing:

Thanks David

What have you previously used on your lights?

Did you sand them down completely to remove the faded/yellowed coating on top?

3M do a kit with everything you need - a drill attachment, various grades of wet/dry paper discs and polishing compound for about £20. Takes about 1/2 hour or so per light to get them looking like new.

I did the ones on my 2004 E55 and they still looked perfect 3/4 years later, used in all weather and parked outside! :cool:

It was done by the PO just nefore I had it and seemed ok to begin with but now as bad as ever. I do have a kit somewhere but it was suggested that changing the covers was a better option. I've always been a little suspicious of the videos you see and the outcome!

Changing the lenses will involve removing the lamp units and baking them in the oven for 10-15 mins @ 85c. This will work ok as long as the sealant is butyl and not permaseal, you will need some 6mm butyl seal to replace the sealant that will be stuck to the old lenses as you remove them. Unless you have any other reason to open them up I would go with restoration of the existing lenses and treat them with E-Tech anti UV spray.

I’ve posted my thoughts on this topic a few times before on other threads, but it’s the coating on the lenses that degrades, goes yellow and cloudy - not the plastic itself.

Once you remove the old coating and polish back the lenses to a clear finish they tend to stay pretty good for ages.

Some of the kits don’t remove this oxidised/faded coating and instead polish it up - which can improve the appearance for a while, but after time it becomes cloudy and yellow again.

I would certainly recommend removing the oxidised coating and polishing the lenses first - quickest, easiest and cheapest option. Remember even new MB headlights will eventually fade just like the originals! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom