E400 Crabbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Metalmangler

Car
Mercedes E220 Estate
Hello all, I have an All Terrain E400 d and like many others I have noticed the crabbing. I would say it's quite bad with Pirelli P Zero run flats. I have to replace the two front tyres and was thinking about Pirelli seal-inside tyres, I'm thinking the side walls will be more flexible than the run-flats and might help the problem, has anyone else tried seal inside, instead of run-flats? The only other problem that I've seen, is once in a while the tickover speed goes from 600 to 800 and the fuel economy drops through the floor, sooner or later it returns to it's old self again. I was told maybe its burning off the particle filter? There is no rhyme or reason to when it starts or stops, it can be fine on stop start journeys then start acting up after a 150 mile journey at around 70 mph. Anyone else seen this?

Certainly sounds like a DPF regen to me.....my car does much the something every few hundred miles.....on top of your symptoms the exhaust gets slightly deeper tone and boost gauge drops much faster when I back off the throttle. Mpg will drop as its injecting fuel on the exhaust stroke as well as the induction one.. Takes exactly ten minutes to complete on mine and then its back to normal. If I don't let it complete before stopping the engine it will try again next time the parameter's are met (engine temp, fuel level etc etc) until it does. Its the same with the company Isuzu pickup.

MB normally advise run flats help rather than make crabbing worse. its a problem on all this generation of Mercedes winter tyres is another thing they say make it better.

All season tyres will help reduce tyre skip, or winter tyres are best of all. Best to replace all four tyres together though, best avoid mixing as the difference in grip will be noticeable in cold or slippery conditions.

All season tyres will help reduce tyre skip, or winter tyres are best of all. Best to replace all four tyres together though, best avoid mixing as the difference in grip will be noticeable in cold or slippery conditions.
+1

Haven't owned one of this generation myself but I know several people who have had this crabbing issue, "solving" it with Winters -

and then complaining about the grip / performance differences that result. (Can't comment on the brands involved)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom