E43 AMG Estate Ride & Comfort

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes, maybe but I would never want to waste anybody's time or money going to look at a car I was not seriously looking to potentially purchase.
That’s fair enough.

I've decided to admit defeat and I've like bought the wrong car for my desires. It does happen but no point trying to massage a square peg in a round hole. I've listed up for sale on the Classifieds and will list it on Ebay next week if there is no interest in here. Great car but maybe for someone else with slightly differing requirements.

So the hunt begins......(once you've sold that one)

Tried Motorway for a quote?

Indeed. I don't need to sell this one first but it would make sense to if I can. I still have my old Alfa GT to use in the short term if I get caught between cars to tide me over. I did buy a cheap Cayenne last year for that very reason while I was waiting to find the E43 but just sold that to a friend last week.

I did get a price from Motorway a few weeks ago but I think it would sell for a fair bit more on the open market compared to what is out there currently. It is always an option if required but I'm in no rush to sell so can use it until it sells. If something like an E55K or other interesting option comes up I can always buy it ready to go for when the E43 goes.

I saw an X5 V8 on AT last night that looked interesting.

I've decided to admit defeat and I've like bought the wrong car for my desires. It does happen but no point trying to massage a square peg in a round hole. I've listed up for sale on the Classifieds and will list it on Ebay next week if there is no interest in here. Great car but maybe for someone else with slightly differing requirements.
I only wish we could raise the funds for your E43. My dream car, especially in estate guise.

Wish you all the luck with the sale and the replacement.

👍

I only wish we could raise the funds for your E43. My dream car, especially in estate guise.

Wish you all the luck with the sale and the replacement.

👍
Thank you. I thought it was my ideal car too and in so many ways it is but not quite there. I've been on a bit of a journey of self discovery and self learning the last few years so am being much more honest and more decisive than I've allowed myself to be to date.

It is quite the thing and quite transformational so I hope it will allow me to achieve so many more things now. One thing is to buy the car I want and am comfortable without worrying about what anyone else thinks I should have.

Thank you. I thought it was my ideal car too and in so many ways it is but not quite there. I've been on a.bit of a journey of self discovery and self learning the last few years so am being much more honest and more decisive than I've allowed myself to be to date.

It is quite the thing and quite transformational so I hope it will allow me to achieve so many more things now. One thing is to buy the car I want and am comfortable without worrying about what anyone else thinks I should have.
How’s things with Mrs Rockits?

Apart from ease for the lazy I'm not sure why anyone would sell there car to Motorway or WBAC.....by their very nature they are buying at trade money as they are either buying to sell them on or worse still to sell them into the trade...so they add on a bit then the dealer adds more. Selling privately (and I do appreciate that some don't like the hassle and dealing with time wasters) will always be more lucrative than selling via the trade....if you say that MW or WBAC offered you as much as a private sale then are selling too cheap.....!

Apart from ease for the lazy I'm not sure why anyone would sell there car to Motorway or WBAC.....by their very nature they are buying at trade money as they are either buying to sell them on or worse still to sell them into the trade...so they add on a bit then the dealer adds more. Selling privately (and I do appreciate that some don't like the hassle and dealing with time wasters) will always be more lucrative than selling via the trade....if you say that MW or WBAC offered you as much as a private sale then are selling too cheap.....!

Don’t forget there’s also the security side of things when selling. Most people on here are okay, but when selling cars in general you’re inviting strangers to your home and allowing them access to high value stuff which obviously has potential risks.

Likewise when purchasing, not everyone is comfortable parting with £25k+ for a car privately - no comeback if things go wrong, etc, regardless of the actual transaction side of it.

Often people are happy to pay a bit extra for the added value buying from a dealer gives you these days, and likewise people expect private sale prices to be lower as a result, hence the part ex prices to the trade can often be close to what you achieve in a private sale anyway :thumb:

Right to advertise but no need to rush.

It's still a tad cold and dark out there. You'll be surprised how many private buyers bounce out of their sofas after the clocks have Sprung forward and Easter arrives. It's one thing to look on AT and another thing to spend a previous weekend day going out to see a couple of motors.

Agreed with all the comments there. It makes sense to try to find a middle ground I think. So to sell to a known car forum member a bit cheaper but more than the trade sites makes sense. Works well both ways.

There is a risk to sell a car.like this privately in the open market through the usual channels so I'd rather sell a little less to remove much of that risk if I can. It isn't worth it sometimes.

Sometimes Motorway surprise you as a trade dealer is trying to find that exact car a d has an order to fulfil for it at a price so might pay more than they would pay to stock the car.

It was the whole reason my brother started the business that Motorway acquired from him a few years ago to achieve exactly that. He was struggling to find certain cars so created a business that solved the issue then grew it into other dealers around the country. He stayed with Motorway for a couple of years as their group Sales Director before fully exiting last year.

I'll see what interest is here and another car forum I'm on as it is often a car that enthusiasts would buy and can see why. Just not quite right for me. I can sell tomorrow for trade money so happy to take some time and effort to achieve a little more. My life to a tee!

I'm not greedy or unreasonable but no point giving it away if I'm in no rush and it is not a distressed sale.

So many dealers take the biscuit, offering you way below par, then doing little to no prep, before adding on a huge premium and spending a small sum on a short term warranty.

I was getting offers of £17-19k on a 2013 C63 Estate on 82k miles, the same thing that was up for low to mid twenties with dealers. By being patient I sold privately for £21,250 and I made back about £3,500 selling off modifications that people won't pay more for when bundled with the car.

The market for people buying AMGs privately is very small but you should get there eventually, five months in my case.

So many dealers take the biscuit, offering you way below par, then doing little to no prep, before adding on a huge premium and spending a small sum on a short term warranty.

I was getting offers of £17-19k on a 2013 C63 Estate on 82k miles, the same thing that was up for low to mid twenties with dealers. By being patient I sold privately for £21,250 and I made back about £3,500 selling off modifications that people won't pay more for when bundled with the car.

The market for people buying AMGs privately is very small but you should get there eventually, five months in my case.
Out of interest, how much do you think they should be paying for a car that is retailed for low to mid twenties?

Take out the VAT(which is worked out on the difference between cost and retail price allowing NOTHING for reconditioning costs....so, for example, if you buy for 20k and sell for 25k but find a major fault that costs 4k to put right (unlikely....its just and example) you still pay the VAT on 5k profit (£833.33)....even though you only made 1k.....another tax office rip off), cost of warranty, service and preparation, over-allowing on any PX that you might need to write back against the one you sold, paying the staff, heating and lighting the place etc etc.....................all of a sudden that 5k margin does not seen unreasonable.

I gave you a £4-5k margin with £20k. You don't have to budget for a £4k fix on every car because problems like that are rare if you've got half a brain when buying stock and average out. Getting low balled at mostly £17-18k is insulting. Hence why I told them all to Foxtrot Oscar.

If dealers ran closer margins they'd turn over more sales and not be reliant on bigger commissions to stay afloat. A nice example is Jon Seal Sports Cars who trades in mostly Lotus Elises & Exiges. His prices are very similar to private (advertised) ones and he's consistently shifting stock, even through winter.

I gave you a £4-5k margin with £20k. You don't have to budget for a £4k fix on every car because problems like that are rare if you've got half a brain when buying stock and average out. Getting low balled at mostly £17-18k is insulting. Hence why I told them all to Foxtrot Oscar.

If dealers ran closer margins they'd turn over more sales and not be reliant on bigger commissions to stay afloat. A nice example is Jon Seal Sports Cars who trades in mostly Lotus Elises & Exiges. His prices are very similar to private (advertised) ones and he's consistently shifting stock, even through winter.
Good thread on Seloc at the moment confirming exactly that

Good thread on Seloc at the moment confirming exactly that
Just found and read it. I'm watching with interest as I hope to be in a position to get a Lotus later this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom