E55 ESP error cut out whilst driving - P202E-008 M16/6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SL03WLY

SUPPORTER
Car
W211 03'
Hi All,

I was driving today and randomly got an ESP warning and the power just cut. Managed to pull over, done a restart and error still there but revs just hunting up and down and still no response to throttle pedal, this time EML light comes on too. Pulled over again and plugged in OBD2 and got the below 2 errors

I cleared both errors, and all was well for 1 minute and this time not only did I get the ESP error, but the car shut off itself. Pulled over, let it stand for a minute, then restarted and it stayed ok for me to get back home, so another 6 miles or so. As I got home noticed the idle in D, it was hunting, I touched the connector that goes onto the Throttle Body and I heard clicking and the revs were going crazy and about to stall too.

I pulled off the connector, nothing seemed amis, put it back. Done ECU reset and started it up, and the revs in idle were steady between 500-600 rpm. Drove for another 3 miles and no issues again.

This happened before on the A3. Definitely a scaring experience.

Can someone tell me if its possible I need to change the harness or throttle body itself? Is it on its way out? I have the old style throttle body where the harness isn't glued on.

throttle error.jpg
canbus error.jpg

thanks

Before
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

After
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The first thing I would do is clean the throttle butterfly in case it’s sticking.

The first thing I would do is clean the throttle butterfly in case it’s sticking.
Thanks will give that a go. It did however look pretty clean when I had air intakes off. Not done it before, But is it safe open close the flap by hand whilst car is off to clean?

Thanks will give that a go. It did however look pretty clean when I had air intakes off. Not done it before, But is it safe open close the flap by hand whilst car is off to clean?
Yes, it’s fine to do that. It’s more likely to be a problem with the throttle body internally, but start with the cheap stuff. Most of these have a little extension loom to the throttle body, and as Phil (my auto sparks guy) always says, any unnecessary join in a cable is always a point of potential weakness. Have a good look for solid and tight connections.

So cleaned throtte body. Disconnected battery too to rest. Unfortunately, still stumbles on idle a bit but no error codes yet so. Lets see how long this last for though. Any idea how much a throttle body would cost?

@SL03WLY

Did you fix this?

Hi,

Yes in my case MSL investigated it and found a few of the Throttle Body wires were crushed. They also put on a good used TB as well from a 2005 engine. Hasn't appeared since.

The C151B error is unfortunately still there though not causing any major issues so am just ignoring that one.

Thanks

Hi,

Yes in my case MSL investigated it and found a few of the Throttle Body wires were crushed. They also put on a good used TB as well from a 2005 engine. Hasn't appeared since.

The C151B error is unfortunately still there though not causing any major issues so am just ignoring that one.

Thanks

Thanks, just had same error appear on the E55.

Will have a look as soon as I have some spare time.

The C151B error is historic rather than current and could well have been caused by low voltage. Just a low spike when cranking might well be enough to trigger it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom