E55.........just a flat battery?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I too run the CTEK battery sense, awesome piece of kit. I can monitor on my pad when I need to charge the battery up.

You need to elimate the main battery, if it is fully charged, then load test it, also does it hold it’s charge?

Run the same test with the aux. battery as well.

If your batteries are fine then move onto other parts of the car.

@AMGeed Halfords do free battery tests, see if you can pop in today?

Hi,
The chances are if the alternator has failed it will only be the control pack on the back, this has the diodes, brushes and regulator all built in and can be changed in about half an hour with the alternator still in place, I bought one for my CLS, though never fitted it as I sorted the issue out they are about £50.
Shame you cant make it to mine as I could run it up on STAR for you.

New
OK, thanks for the info gents. very useful:)
I got myself a digital volt meter and first tested the main battery before starting it.
This is the reading I got bearing in mind it was on charge for 24hrs on a 6a charger and the car had been started about 6 times before this reading.
20181229_132732[1].jpg

Then I started the car and got this reading:eek: All the red warings showing again.
20181229_132849[1] 2.jpg

Turned the engine off, then tried a restart and the engine barely turned over. Either my battery has gone bad or the alternator isn't charging it.
I have no chance of putting the meter on the alternator as its contact points are barely visible.

So I moved to the aux battery again and disconnected it (after removing the neg lead on the main battery)
I took a reading with it disconnected and got this reading. Well discharged by the looks of it.
20181229_134211[1]4.jpg

Aux battery under the pollen filter
20181229_134203[1]3.jpg

This battery is now on charge as well. I'm going to give them both 24+ hrs, then take a reading before reconnecting them.

I have a strong feeling my alternator is the villain here. Star will tell me when I can get it in.

@AMGeed Halfords do free battery tests, see if you can pop in today?

I'll take it up tomorrow once its fully charged Abs. Good call to get it load tested there.

Also, I checked the invoices for the batteries . Both bought earlier than I thought,
Main battery 5th Apr 2014
Aux battery 10th June 2014
So both 4+ years old.

My E55K alternator went in early 2015 and that was an October 2004 car.

If you are on the original alternator, you are doing well!

Treat yourself to this book it will put life into your battery, use it as not so much a diet, more a different way of living, eat as much as you like. Good luck. P

Attachments

• 20181229_161144.jpg
    20181229_161144.jpg
    937.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Sounds like a diode in the Alternator, just change the voltage regulator in the Alternator & you'll be OK.

Perfect, let’s start with your main battery.

At 11.5v... that is dead.

My CTEK charger can recharge my battery to full within 24hrs, may be your charger is not working.

Perfect, let’s start with your main battery.

At 11.5v... that is dead.

My CTEK charger can recharge my battery to full within 24hrs, may be your charger is not working.

At the time of using the voltage meter I had started the car maybe 6 times and left it running around 10 mins.
If the alternator is not charging would that not account for the lower reading?
I will know for sure tomorrow as both main and aux battery are on charge now.. Just read the aux battery and its showing 13.8v with the charger disconnected.

Anything at or above 12.6 is fine.
If you're getting reading over 14.7 when engine running, then you've a alternator problem,the reading from the small battery is probably a surface charge. To get a correct reading you'll need to switch a few things on that it's connected to then get a proper teadinr. Tbh, you might get a good 12v reading bit it's a load test you need to checl the plates etc. Good luck

Nothing to do with the subject but type 2 is reversible with the right diet and lifestyle - even at this stage!
I know off topic, but this should be qualified with, 'sometimes reversible'. I am type 2, have been for 12 years. I have a BMI of 21 (I'm not overweight!), and have a good diet. Sometimes you are just screwed with bad genes...

Well today brings a bit more clarity to my problem. Both batteries were fully charged and refitted to the car.
I got this reading from the main battery before starting it.
20181230_103621[1]2.jpg

Starting the car, the voltage immediately dropped to this reading
20181230_105441[1]3.jpg

Only one warning message showing now.
20181230_105657[1]4.jpg

I noticed the battery shop nearby was open, so disconnected the main battery and went in to have it load tested. According to the owner, voltage wasn't so important as the CCA when testing. As you can see, mine was well down and was advised to replace the battery.
20181230_113919[1].jpg
Armed with piece of paper and my invoice, I next went to ECP to get a replacement battery under guarantee. No problem, they changed it for another Bosch S5 which had a reading of 12.3v when I put it on the car. As I expected, the Visit workshop reminder came back. I tried the dash readout whilst the car was running and it seems to confirm I have a faulty alternator/regulator pack.20181230_124933[1]5.jpg

I'm off to Startech tomorrow morning to get it confirmed and ask if replacing the voltage regulator on the back of the alternator is the way to go. If not I get my own alternator from the link given previously and get them to fit that.
I'll update when something more positive happens.

That's a good point actually - the battery in my E55K was huge compared to your battery Rog.

That's a good point actually - the battery in my E55K was huge compared to your battery Rog.
That is an excellent point! The battery tray on your car looks much bigger than the battery currently sitting in it! Not like MB to waste space...

Jeez Roger, Just seen that!! Thats a 96 bud, suprised it lasted as long as it has, you shoiuld have a 019 at least and AGM version to be 100% correct.

Bosch short code

s4013
s5013

4 and 5 year version, there quite abit longer than that 096 bud.

Bosch AGM version
444777008.jpg

This is was in my E55...& it needed it, the sat nav is always on, the bluetooth is busy...
Oh yes AGM is needed.
nxQ7rZC.jpg

Now THAT'S the size of battery I remember!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom