E63 5.5 TT Misfire - It's STILL Doing It...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thank you for that, but it is intake/charge air temperature sensors I'm looking for. Unless, of course, the iCarsoft is a dud clone and is making it all up... which I doubt.

With any luck, a general arrangement drawing of the intercooler (if there is one; I'm beginning to wonder about that, but I haven't actually looked for the pipework yet; surely there must be an intercooler?) will show what I'm looking for. The sensor in the airbox, according to the dealer, is a pressure sensor; why would a pressure sensor be required upstream of the turbo?

I'm beginning to feel that I've drifted into a parallel universe, and things which look right are subtly wrong... On the other hand, my level of technical understanding is probably outdated for this generation of engines.

A general arrangement drawing of the intercooler/airboxes might clear up some of my confusion. In the meantime, I'll take a look at the sensor in the airbox for cylinder bank 1.

The sensor in the airbox, according to the dealer, is a pressure sensor; why would a pressure sensor be required upstream of the turbo?

Took a look; it's a MAF/pressure sensor, part no. A007 153 05 28, and there are two of them - one in each air filter housing.

Now if I can just find out where the intake air temperature sensors are...

So I was having a watch on this youtube about the IAT Sensor, and it seems it will be located very close to the MAF. Explanation being that MAF measures volume of air and the IAT measures the weight of the air. I would have thought that this sensor playing up would affect the all the cylinders on that bank throughout the rev range. Anyway, once located seems easy enough to test it with a multimeter.
Keep persevering, it will be something small thats amiss.

Steve

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So I was having a watch on this youtube about the IAT Sensor, and it seems it will be located very close to the MAF. Explanation being that MAF measures volume of air and the IAT measures the weight of the air. I would have thought that this sensor playing up would affect the all the cylinders on that bank throughout the rev range. Anyway, once located seems easy enough to test it with a multimeter.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There's no MAF sensor in his car.

No MAF ?? so what is measuring the airflow into the engine ?
Apologies then.....perhaps I had better just keep quiet !!

Steve.

These are the EPC pic and list of the charging air interooler for your VIN. Pretty much as Merc85 posted.

Attachments

• 212274 EPC 20 200 pic.pdf
    321 KB · Views: 6
  • 212274 EPC 20 200 lst.pdf
    274.6 KB · Views: 5
No MAF ?? so what is measuring the airflow into the engine ?
Apologies then.....perhaps I had better just keep quiet !!

Steve.

Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor. MAF was last used in 210 E's so you're not entirely wrong Steve, just a couple of decades behind ;-)

AHAH!

Oh! Oh! Oh! Now I understand, Mr Fawlty...

It's immediately behind the little coolant reservoir and beneath the ECU, then. I had thought Merc 85's illustration was for the A160. Well, it was late at night and I was tired...:oops: (Why is there no 'embarrassed' emoji now?)

Replacement should be easy, then. Could somebody confirm which way to pull the ECU to remove it? It looks straightforward, but I gave it a gentle tug cylinder bank 2 when I was cleaning out the oil at the connectors, and it moved a little and wouldn't go any further, so I left well alone: I didn't want to break something.

Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor. MAF was last used in 210 E's so you're not entirely wrong Steve, just a couple of decades behind ;-)

So too am I...

I'm sorry to be a pain, but there's still something I don't understand (well, lots, actually, but let it pass...)

The fault code readout from the iCarsoft was "Stored code P007012 - "Charge air temperature sensor cylinder bank 1", but the parts list clearly shows there's only one of these sensors, not one for each bank. I'm changing it anyway, but has anybody any idea what the reference to cylinder bank 1 might mean?

When referring to Bank 1, Its saying its the same side/Bank that number 1 cylinder in the engines firing order is on

Take it for what it’s worth but I’d get a normal scanner not the iCar-thingy. If you’re local to Milton Keynes, pop in and we’ll scan it using something better. The description tends to vary greatly from device to device. Not to mention that not all scanners can talk to all modules in the car. Just a thought.

Lastly, I wouldn’t read too much into “1” as it could be a generic code reference, not specific to your car.

General opinion seems to be that the iCarsofts are pretty good. What would you consider to be a 'normal' scanner?

General opinion seems to be that the iCarsofts are pretty good. What would you consider to be a 'normal' scanner?

Star or Snap On (which is the owner of MB software).

id get it on star as Alex suggests rather than taking punts on the sensors, it will most prob be the one Gav pointed out but star will point to it 100%

Either an awful lot of people are deluded, or the iCarsoft is a pretty useful tool; it's not a Star, but it doesn't pretend to be.

Since I have fault codes ("Output 3 for reference voltage of sensors electrical fault or open circuit. There is an internal fault" and "Charge air temperature sensor short circuit to ground. Short circuit to positive ") that are consistent both with each other and with the original "charge air temperature too high" code, it's not really taking a punt on anything by replacing the charge air temperature sensor, is it?

Logic would suggest changing the sensor indicated, and seeing what effect that has. If that fails to resolve the issue, then will be the time to seek professional help.

Could be a broken wiring loom as well.

Fifty Shades Of Misfire...

It did it again, only different and worse again; now misfires on 1, 3, 7 and 8. Four episodes, all different, and no indication of a sensor fault this time, so enough faffing with sensors; time to seek professional help (and for the car as well...).

So in it went to Terry Gates. Alex, have a cigar; the wiring loom it was. Specifically, the intercooler coolant pump wiring. I hadn't made the connection before, but now I see why each misfiring episode was worse than the last; the ambient air temperature was higher. The third time, the broken wire must have actually shorted out briefly.

It should be sorted (he said hopefully...), but I can't check yet. Courtesy of a dozy silver Astra driver who at the last minute, without warning, decided she wanted half of each entry lane to drive on to a roundabout, I had to swerve sharply and clipped the kerb; two new tyres needed, and one deflated at once, so the car has the spacesaver spare on the back. B****r!

Good news (kind of!) strangely enough I had a lorry do similar to me yesterday, two tyres on the Range Rover with a bulge the size of a tennis ball on each.

glad you got to the bottom of it :) hopefully can enjoy it now .... after 2 new tyres first!

get it to TRAX in oct!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom