Eco start: is it bad for the turbo or engine in the c43 AMG 2016?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
M8ght have been an Hybrid?
Hybrids aren't EVs (strictly speaking) and my hybrid doesn't have a stater motor either

Reactions: Ted
Well on a much earlier post the question was will start stop harm my car,well on Xmas eve crossing the road at pedestrian traffic lights,a EV of some unknown make possibly south korean started up just as I cleared its front bumper,the noise that starter gave out made me jump,it was horrendous,as with many on here is I had a car with stop start I would be switching it off.

Stop start comes in two varieties:

The conventional starter motor with pinion and ring gear which although beefed up is still noisy and probably what you heard. A compromise which ever side of the argument you are on.

The starter motor and generator combined into an active flywheel used in mild hybrids. No gears, no noise or vibration and therefore a properly engineered stop start system which will last. Only downside I can see is very expensive if it fails.

I remember years ago that you should never switch off a turbo engine straight away, let the turbo cool a bit. All we had then were saab or Renault generally.
I still sit about a minute now 🤣

After all the debate I'm still of the opinion that what is wrong with stop start is that it operates much too eagerly. I've walked alongside a slow moving queue of traffic and cars are stopping and starting again 1 or 2 seconds later. That's just dumb and can only be aimed at improving the headline MPG and emissions at the expense of driveability and wear.and tear on the car. If they could eliminate that trait and making it stop only after a reasonable period of being stationary I'd be happy with the concept.
Or you could do what we always used to do when you could see you were going to be stopped for some time. Turn the engine off. :thumb:

Reactions: 190
Or you could do what we always used to do when you could see you were going to be stopped for some time. Turn the engine off. :thumb:

Agreed for longer stops, but not that easy for short stops. On an automatic, you'll need to shift into P to start the engine again, then back to D to drive off. In addition, if you're driving in Sports mode, the transmission will revert back to Economy/Comfort mode, and you'll need to switch it back to S. And of course ECO mode will revert back to ON and you'll need to switch that off as well..... so not very practical for short stops.

The more I read on this topic the more I'm warming to it. I agree with the point that Diesel Benz made about the bearings being lubricated, But it's the cylinder bores that worries me, as the oil will drain back to the sump when the engine isn't running.
Going back to the starter motor I've read that sometimes the starter motor doesn't start the engine, it's to do with the position of a particular piston or pistons and fuel and spark being introduced to start the engine.
Thoughts and info on this procedure would be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom