• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Electronic tow bar

packers2701

Car
2017 E220d
Tried this in the Electronic & Audio section also!
Hi all I’m new to the forum, I have recently purchased a 2017 E220d and want to fit a tow bar to it, if I purchase a 2nd hand electric Oris unit is it possible to fit that to my car and get it working? Do I need additional car specific wiring harness, does it need “coding” to my car and can that be done by a non- dealer?
Thanks in advance for any advice, Doug!

I've no idea about the feasibility of retro fitting one of these towbars but you will need a car specific wiring kit to connect to the towing socket. When I had a detachable towbar fitted to my E350 it did need coded and the towbar fitter (not an MB dealer) was able to do this.
If fitting an electrically operated towbar you would also of course need to sort out power supply and control connections. I would have thought that, for example, fitting a detachable towbar would be a lot easier. If you're worried about an ugly towbar spoiling the look of the rear of the car, there is nothing to see with the bar detached when not in use.

I've no idea about the feasibility of retro fitting one of these towbars but you will need a car specific wiring kit to connect to the towing socket. When I had a detachable towbar fitted to my E350 it did need coded and the towbar fitter (not an MB dealer) was able to do this.
If fitting an electrically operated towbar you would also of course need to sort out power supply and control connections. I would have thought that, for example, fitting a detachable towbar would be a lot easier. If you're worried about an ugly towbar spoiling the look of the rear of the car, there is nothing to see with the bar detached when not in use.
Y

You’re probably right, I had a detachable one on my previous car that was perfect it was just that an electronic foldaway Mercedes unit popped up on eBay and is less money than a new detachable one! Obviously I appreciate I’ll need a dedicated wiring harness and coding but thought it might work out cheaper if I fit it myself and pay to have it terminated/plugged in and coded?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom