• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Engine choices

MD5

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230
I’m looking to update my estate car with either a newer E class, or a CLS Shooting Brake, and I’d love a bit of an insight into engine choices please.

I think it will be between the 250 and 350 cdi engines, but my concerns are about nox sensors and adblue systems, which I"ve been told are integral to Euro 6 engines? There seem to be lots of issues, which I’m hoping to avoid.

I still have an E500 S211, and I’ve just sold an R320, with the OM642 engine, so a 350 engine would seem a natural successor. However, I’ve heard the 250cdi is a great engine, but I don’t know which version? I’d happily stick with another petrol V8, but choices are few. If Euro 6 means complex issues, perhaps I would be better with Euro 5 specs? Any shared experience would be gratefully received!

I would imagine 6k +, a lot (most) of those being motorway miles.

I don't now when which engines were updated/replaced, and I assume the 250 cdi (circa 2012/13) is a 2.1 engine? I prefer the torque and smoothness of bigger engines, along with the more refined soundtrack, but I could live with a 250 if it's a robust and trouble free unit.

IMO that nowhere near enough miles to justify a derv.....especially if you use it mostly on the motorway where petrol's are more efficient. The fuel saved over a decent petrol will/could be easily eaten up with extra maintenance and reliability issues. Even when I was selling cars in pre ADblue days we used to advise customers doing under about 15 thou a year to go petrol!!!

IMO that nowhere near enough miles to justify a derv

Agreed, but it's more about choice, as my preference at the moment is a CLS SB. I don't want an AMG, 'though would happily buy a 500, but they weren't available here.

Did they not do the 500 in SB?....It was done in CLS 218 in saloon form ....it was a 4.7 L V8 twin-turbo with 402 horse. Rare beast though.

From Autocar:

"Two further petrol engines are available in other markets, including a 302bhp naturally aspirated 3.5-litre V6 in the CLS350 Shooting Brake and 402bhp twin-turbocharged 4.6-litre V8 in the CLS500. However, the high percentage of diesel sales in the UK’s upper executive estate car ranks means that they are unlikely to be sold here.."

It's a pity, as there a number of lhd 500 SBs for sale in Europe.

IMO that nowhere near enough miles to justify a derv.....especially if you use it mostly on the motorway where petrol's are more efficient. The fuel saved over a decent petrol will/could be easily eaten up with extra maintenance and reliability issues. Even when I was selling cars in pre ADblue days we used to advise customers doing under about 15 thou a year to go petrol!!!
I’m not disagreeing with your point but we’ve had various oil burners since 2012 (always 1 Car & 1 Van). We’ve never exceeded 5k miles PA in any and never had a single issue (either Adblue, DPF or Nox Sensor related).

Have we just been really fortunate? 🤷‍♂️

Maybe.. looking at this very forum.....Forgetting reliability.... you had to put up with a canal boat engine to save what at 5000 mile pa?... £300 a year on fuel. No thanks... and one EGR failure etc and you would make a loss. And that's from someone that drives a derv.... but I did over 20k per year when I bought it and no Adblue etc.

I’m not disagreeing with your point but we’ve had various oil burners since 2012 (always 1 Car & 1 Van). We’ve never exceeded 5k miles PA in any and never had a single issue (either Adblue, DPF or Nox Sensor related).

Have we just been really fortunate? 🤷‍♂️
It's 'cos you drive them like you stole them 😆

Maybe.. looking at this very forum.....Forgetting reliability.... you had to put up with a canal boat engine to save what at 5000 mile pa?... £300 a year on fuel. No thanks... and one EGR failure etc and you would make a loss. And that's from someone that drives a derv.... but I did over 20k per year when I bought it and no Adblue etc.
You lost me there buddy. 🤷‍♂️

BTW can you recommend a petrol transit sized van? 🤣

I seem to remember that there was one 4.7 biturbo in the UK, and it was owned by a member.
Now you mention it, Rob, that rings a bell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom