Engine choices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MD5

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230
I’m looking to update my estate car with either a newer E class, or a CLS Shooting Brake, and I’d love a bit of an insight into engine choices please.

I think it will be between the 250 and 350 cdi engines, but my concerns are about nox sensors and adblue systems, which I"ve been told are integral to Euro 6 engines? There seem to be lots of issues, which I’m hoping to avoid.

I still have an E500 S211, and I’ve just sold an R320, with the OM642 engine, so a 350 engine would seem a natural successor. However, I’ve heard the 250cdi is a great engine, but I don’t know which version? I’d happily stick with another petrol V8, but choices are few. If Euro 6 means complex issues, perhaps I would be better with Euro 5 specs? Any shared experience would be gratefully received!

I would imagine 6k +, a lot (most) of those being motorway miles.

I don't now when which engines were updated/replaced, and I assume the 250 cdi (circa 2012/13) is a 2.1 engine? I prefer the torque and smoothness of bigger engines, along with the more refined soundtrack, but I could live with a 250 if it's a robust and trouble free unit.

IMO that nowhere near enough miles to justify a derv.....especially if you use it mostly on the motorway where petrol's are more efficient. The fuel saved over a decent petrol will/could be easily eaten up with extra maintenance and reliability issues. Even when I was selling cars in pre ADblue days we used to advise customers doing under about 15 thou a year to go petrol!!!

IMO that nowhere near enough miles to justify a derv

Agreed, but it's more about choice, as my preference at the moment is a CLS SB. I don't want an AMG, 'though would happily buy a 500, but they weren't available here.

Did they not do the 500 in SB?....It was done in CLS 218 in saloon form ....it was a 4.7 L V8 twin-turbo with 402 horse. Rare beast though.

From Autocar:

"Two further petrol engines are available in other markets, including a 302bhp naturally aspirated 3.5-litre V6 in the CLS350 Shooting Brake and 402bhp twin-turbocharged 4.6-litre V8 in the CLS500. However, the high percentage of diesel sales in the UK’s upper executive estate car ranks means that they are unlikely to be sold here.."

It's a pity, as there a number of lhd 500 SBs for sale in Europe.

IMO that nowhere near enough miles to justify a derv.....especially if you use it mostly on the motorway where petrol's are more efficient. The fuel saved over a decent petrol will/could be easily eaten up with extra maintenance and reliability issues. Even when I was selling cars in pre ADblue days we used to advise customers doing under about 15 thou a year to go petrol!!!
I’m not disagreeing with your point but we’ve had various oil burners since 2012 (always 1 Car & 1 Van). We’ve never exceeded 5k miles PA in any and never had a single issue (either Adblue, DPF or Nox Sensor related).

Have we just been really fortunate? 🤷‍♂️

Maybe.. looking at this very forum.....Forgetting reliability.... you had to put up with a canal boat engine to save what at 5000 mile pa?... £300 a year on fuel. No thanks... and one EGR failure etc and you would make a loss. And that's from someone that drives a derv.... but I did over 20k per year when I bought it and no Adblue etc.

I’m not disagreeing with your point but we’ve had various oil burners since 2012 (always 1 Car & 1 Van). We’ve never exceeded 5k miles PA in any and never had a single issue (either Adblue, DPF or Nox Sensor related).

Have we just been really fortunate? 🤷‍♂️
It's 'cos you drive them like you stole them 😆

Maybe.. looking at this very forum.....Forgetting reliability.... you had to put up with a canal boat engine to save what at 5000 mile pa?... £300 a year on fuel. No thanks... and one EGR failure etc and you would make a loss. And that's from someone that drives a derv.... but I did over 20k per year when I bought it and no Adblue etc.
You lost me there buddy. 🤷‍♂️

BTW can you recommend a petrol transit sized van? 🤣

I seem to remember that there was one 4.7 biturbo in the UK, and it was owned by a member.
Now you mention it, Rob, that rings a bell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom