• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

EQC High Voltage Battery Failure

Atrueguy

So, back in April I took the plunge and leased a pre registered EQC 400 AMG Line Edition through MB Finance. We chose to lease rather than buy with the uncertainty of the EV project and felt the lease enables me to test the water so to speak. Well, the EQC was a genuine WOW moment and the nighttime charging at 7.5 ppkwh makes the 400BHP monster cheap as chips to run. After around 3 weeks and 1000 miles my wife received a text message from MB saying there was a high voltage battery fault. Strange as we’d used the car the day before and the display showed around 60% battery charge and we experienced no problems. Anyway, by the time the AA arrived the car was totally dead and a loan C Class was dropped off by EuropCar that evening. The following day (4th May 2024) the EQC was dragged onto a flat bed and taken to our local dealer where it’s been since. After 5 days the C Class was swapped for an EQB 350 which we’ve had since with no problems. We’ve had no calls from MB with any updates and when I’ve called most weeks I’m told the battery is on it’s way from Germany but that’s now over a month and the battery still isn’t here. I did say I wanted to reject the vehicle in my first call to their assistance but that seems to have never hit MB as when i called this week to reject i was told their process is 8 weeks. I know things fail but it would be nice if it felt like MB were bothered.

Well not a expert in leasing but I would have thought you contact the lease company and reject the car.

As above.

And, even if the car was leased from MB, the dealer and the finance provider will be two separate companies (and obviously two separate legal entities) .

It sounds like MB are sorting the issue and have given you a courtesy car during the process? I can’t see what the issue is really?

Presumably the issue is having a smaller car with less range than the one he's paying for, with no idea how long this situation will last for.
The difference is literally only 15 miles. Sizewise they are also pretty similar.

The other potential issue is that the car will undergo open heart surgery and will have the battery replaced, and then for the next 3 years the OP will have to live with a car that he does not trust.....

The difference is literally only 15 miles. Sizewise they are also pretty similar.

Something else then ... a difference of 114 bhp perhaps? Presumably the OP had his reasons for choosing an EQC rather than the EQB he's got for now.

The other potential issue is that the car will undergo open heart surgery and will have the battery replaced, and then for the next 3 years the OP will have to live with a car that he does not trust.....
It should be a fairly straightforward and quick process to replace once the new battery arrives.

It should be a fairly straightforward and quick process to replace once the new battery arrives.

IIRC the EQC (and EQB) are versions of the original ICE GLC and GLB. As such they may have a solid floorpan with the battery inside the car, rather than it being under-slung (as is common practice with dedicated EV designs). If that's the case it would likely make replacement more tricky / time consuming.

Or can be under warranty with a brand new battery.

IIRC the EQC (and EQB) are versions of the original ICE GLC and GLB. As such they may have a solid floorpan with the battery inside the car, rather than it being under-slung (as is common practice with dedicated EV designs). If that's the case it would likely make replacement more tricky / time consuming.
That’s a disappointing design if so.

Edit:

Does appear to be designed to be removed from the bottom?

IMG-6167.png

I was thinking more of concerns over reliability, rather than the cost of repairs.
Oh indeed but if this is the first and only fault and it is being addressed at no cost then trust in the car should not be an issue and hopefully there will be no more problems 👍

Oh indeed but if this is the first and only fault and it is being addressed at no cost then trust in the car should not be an issue and hopefully there will be no more problems 👍

This is how I would look at it, too. However, not everyone feels the same about it.

So, back in April I took the plunge and leased a pre registered EQC 400 AMG Line Edition through MB Finance. We chose to lease rather than buy with the uncertainty of the EV project and felt the lease enables me to test the water so to speak. Well, the EQC was a genuine WOW moment and the nighttime charging at 7.5 ppkwh makes the 400BHP monster cheap as chips to run. After around 3 weeks and 1000 miles my wife received a text message from MB saying there was a high voltage battery fault. Strange as we’d used the car the day before and the display showed around 60% battery charge and we experienced no problems. Anyway, by the time the AA arrived the car was totally dead and a loan C Class was dropped off by EuropCar that evening. The following day (4th May 2024) the EQC was dragged onto a flat bed and taken to our local dealer where it’s been since. After 5 days the C Class was swapped for an EQB 350 which we’ve had since with no problems. We’ve had no calls from MB with any updates and when I’ve called most weeks I’m told the battery is on it’s way from Germany but that’s now over a month and the battery still isn’t here. I did say I wanted to reject the vehicle in my first call to their assistance but that seems to have never hit MB as when i called this week to reject i was told their process is 8 weeks. I know things fail but it would be nice if it felt like MB were bothered.
Quick update. The car failed and was recovered 4th May 2024 and the new battery still hasn’t arrived. The previous EQB courtesy car was taken back when it reached 3 months old with another one dropped off which means swapping everything across to the new vehicle. MB can’t provide a definite date and have now had had the vehicle around 3 months. No proactive contact from mb at all with no solutions or alternatives offered.

MB can’t provide a definite date and have now had had the vehicle around 3 months. No proactive contact from mb at all with no solutions or alternatives offered.

Under the terms of the lease they must surely be obliged to provide you with the car you're paying for, or a direct equivalent? A courtesy car (lower model) is a short-term solution for servicing / minor repairs . etc. ... 3 months with no end date in sight can't be right. At the very least they should be reducing your lease payments?

In terms of getting a replacement battery the EQC has been discontinued now, which may not be helping.

MB stopped building this model both in China and Bremen in 2023 so yours must be one of the last off the line. There are laws regarding how long manufacturers must supply parts for a discontinued line . Based on that MB should have no excuse for not having a battery in stock , especially as it is a big part of the car itself.

Could the same battery be used in other models still in production and they are all going that way ?

There are laws regarding how long manufacturers must supply parts for a discontinued line .
Actually, there aren't and never has been, its another urban legend that people accept as fact. There is a gentleman's agreement/code.... nothing more.

From the SMMT
There is no legal requirement in the UK for car manufacturers to supply spare parts for a set period of time. However, many large manufacturers have signed the Motor Ombudsman's new car code, which states that parts should be available for the duration of a model's production and for a "reasonable period" after that.

So it they don't want make them...tough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom