First year of V12 AMG ownership (Don't panic Mr Mainwaring)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good luck with it!

Hopefully doesn't require a mortgage to sort.

Good luck with it!

Hopefully doesn't require a mortgage to sort.

Thanks, I've got a half decent contingency/bork fund so I'll have to see what the diagnostics throw up.

Good luck David :)

Good luck David :)

Thanks, I popped it into PCS and at very, very short notice Olly very kindly plugged it into the diagnostics, looks like it's the centrally placed module that has failed. I'm not surprised they fail who in their right mind decides to place an electronic unit in the middle of a volcanically hot V12 I ask you. The unit should be hung on the AMG wall of bad ideas along with the dullard who decided to place it there. I did toy with the idea of placing some gold foil on the base of the unit a while ago to act as a shield as I've no doubt there has not been a design change in the unit so it will in time go again. Just as well I have a contingency fund to cover coil packs and this unit put away.

Well I had the coil pack amplifier replaced at PCS and the car is running like it should. I had forgotten that the car had a WMS 5 star warranty for three years. Mainly because when it arrived the wording stated a limit of £1000 which on a car like this I thought was rubbish so I chucked it in the back of my workshop.
Full credit to WMS as I have read quite a few negative posts about them on various car based forums, I phoned them and they stated they didn't pay for diagnostics and limit labour costs to £50 per hour (really?) so anyhow the outcome was that WMS sent me cheque exactly as they promised the next day for £669.60 towards the £723 bill.
So I have to compliment WMS without reservation for their excellent service. Now according to the young lady at WMS you can make as many claims as required in the three year period, so taken as a fact that the coil packs go on these cars at some stage I look forward to seeing if a further claim is dealt with with such a quick response, let's face it how many things can you list like this that don't disappoint .
On a rather pessimistic note my Phaeton two days from exchange for the Audi W12 has fried its electronics, to say I'm pi**ed off is a massive, massive understatement. It has been such a pleasure to own for the last four years and then low and behold it now sits on the road where it expired leaving me with a £3.5K shortfall on the PX deal. I'm going to my local car dismantler tomorrow morning to see if we can do a deal.

Great news on the warranty.

That's bad luck on the Phat one. You always wonder if your car will die before an imminent trade in / sale.

I had a warning show up on my last car but luckily it was just one of the electrical glitches it sometimes had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom