Firsttime Benzer need help with tranny swap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks - my memory must be serving me better than I thought! :cool:

I must add though, the old Mercedes 4-cylinder engines seem to be quite smooth units in my experience.

For example, the W202 C200 that I used to own (with a clumsy manual box! :crazy: ) seemed more of a stressful car to make progress in than the 190E 2.0 manual that it replaced.

Obviously statistically the W202 was a better performer (top speed etc), but the 102? engine in the W201 seemed so much smoother and more refined than the newer 16v unit.

Just IMHO, :)

Will

Dieselman said:
The point of sixteen valves or four per cylinder is that it increases the valve area so creates better breathing at higher revs. This allows more air in so more power can be created.

Twin cam is usually used for four valve engines for simplicity and adaptability.

I must admit when I read back my post it didn't make a lot of sense :)

by saying 16 valves allows for "smaller valves" I meant that two smaller so therefore lighter valves would operate more effectively than one large one thus allowing the engine to rev more freely. As far as I knew (or at least thought) it wasn't so much the increase in valve area as that was minimal but the more efficient use of that area which provides the gains.

At the end of the day, as you say, it means that the air gets in quicker and the exhaust gasses are expelled quicker which makes for a more efficient/powerful engine

Andy

Dieselman said:
The point of sixteen valves or four per cylinder is that it increases the valve area so creates better breathing at higher revs. This allows more air in so more power can be created.

Twin cam is usually used for four valve engines for simplicity and adaptability.

I would have thought that 8 valve is simpler than 16 but twin cams do allow for higher revving engines as reciprocating masses are reduced due to smaller lighter valves and springs.

Also, due to the better valve layout and larger combined seat surface area, it produces better thermodynamics and volumetric efficiency alowing more fuel/air to be drawn in in the same given time. The smaller sized valves also allow for more valve overlap, allowing cam timing to be modified and a longer inlet duration thus further boosting performace ;)

Still dont know why a coupe produces more power though :confused: Maybe a different ECU or something due to the fact that a CE would be unlikely to ever tow a caravan :eek:

Last edited:
The M111 16-valve twin cam 2-litre in my 200TE gives 136 bhp, the same as the 8-valve in the 230E. Germany had an under 2-litre tax break, plus the M111 burns leaner and cleaner, and has a cat. In fact, the 200 has a lower insurance group than the 230, and is thus a bit cheaper to insure. The engine is not very refined, and is probably better performance-wise with a manual box, as it needs revs to perform. However, for sedate utility motoring, it's fine with the auto. Interestingly, my car was built in August 1993, after the model was re-named E200T (rather than 200TE) and facelifted, but is a pre-facelift model.
What I'd really like is a V8 estate. Anybody done that?

Guys guys guys , Just a reminder , you hijacked my thread, but thats ok
Anyways i fixed my old transmission. Transmission shops were asking $1500 to $2000.
Wrecking shops were asking 1400 - 1500. I spent $5. It was just the plastic gear on centrifigul governer. i ordered it from mercedes and now it works perfect.

a1jatt said:
Guys guys guys , Just a reminder , you hijacked my thread, but thats ok
Anyways i fixed my old transmission. Transmission shops were asking $1500 to $2000.
Wrecking shops were asking 1400 - 1500. I spent $5. It was just the plastic gear on centrifigul governer. i ordered it from mercedes and now it works perfect.

Well done. Nice to hear of someone performing a nice cheap fix.

Sp!ke said:
:confused: Maybe a different ECU or something due to the fact that a CE would be unlikely to ever tow a caravan :eek:
It would if I had one. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom