• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Front wheel bearing

PolishGeorge85

Car
E350 3.0 v6
Hi, another post from me to all DIY-ers.

I did my front wheel bearings. Job is quite straightforward. Specially if you decide to buy already built up hub with bearings installed. But you can also but repair kit and save yourself some £'s. Hopefully after reading this post you will save :). I had 3 approaches.

Here is what to look for:

When you building hub back together, see if you can find someone with press rather than do it cowboys way :) if you can't, than you can do it with hammer but go very steady and use old bearing as a "transfer plate"

When you manage to install new bearings In the hub and all you have left to add is oil seal/abs magnetic ring. Again be careful and what is most important do not push it all way back to the bearing. See picture attached. This is how it should look. For some reason the way hub was made it allows to push seal further down. And that can cause you new problem. As I said this seal is also hall effect magnetic ring for speed sensor.if pushed too far. As soon as you set of, ESP/ABS malfunction message will appear in dash as sensor can not detect how fast this wheel is spinning.

Apply as much grease as possible, people say to only use green one from MB. I'm not sure if this makes difference, as long as you use good amount and quality bearing grease.
There is a correct procedure to adjust how tight locknut has to be on YT. But sometimes we don't have necessarily tools.
According to ex mercedes mechanic, if you don't have DTI. You need to tighten lock nut by hand to the point that wheel will not easily spin. Than back it of 1/4 turn. Recheck it after about 1000miles.
I did exactly that and car runs well.
Hope this will help one day :)

Attachments

• IMG_20231029_190705.jpg
    IMG_20231029_190705.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 9
Afaik green grease has thermal protection.

Thanks for your reply, I've just compared comma and Merc grease and I'm surprised they actually sold it as a good equipment for mb one. Comma grease is good up to 150 and sounds like e350 bearings run at 170 :/. I don't think I'm going to strip it down now. Just wait till it fails.

Thanks for your reply, I've just compared comma and Merc grease and I'm surprised they actually sold it as a good equipment for mb one. Comma grease is good up to 150 and sounds like e350 bearings run at 170 :/. I don't think I'm going to strip it down now. Just wait till it fails.

They don't take long if something is wrong , worst case scenario is the racers weld themselves to the steering Knuckle.

What are you actually greasing?
I thought they were sealed bearings anyway.

He fitted new bearings to an old hub.
So the grease is only used for installation, therefore doesn’t need to be high melting point, you can use any grease as not on a bearing surface ?

So the grease is only used for installation, therefore doesn’t need to be high melting point, you can use any grease as not on a bearing surface ?
Aftermarket bearings come dry . You apply Mercedes green grease liberally.

A002989005110. 150 gram tube per side.

Screenshot_20231030-081147-955.png

Last edited:
Aftermarket bearings come dry . You apply Mercedes green grease liberally.

A002989005110. 150 gram tube per side.
Ok I didn’t realise you could buy the magnetic ABS seal separately, would have saved me a couple of hundred £’s. bugger.

Ok I didn’t realise you could buy the magnetic ABS seal separately, would have saved me a couple of hundred £’s.
I could tell. :cool:

The seal comes with the bearings anyways .

Screenshot_20231030-082012-621.png

OP . How many miles did the original bearings last and had they been adjusted during that lifetime ?

One failed on my w211 , around 76k due to water ingress. Insides were rusty brown with little or no grease left in there . If fitted with a nipple ,they could be maintained,but it'll never happen.

I could tell. :cool:

The seal comes with the bearings anyways .

View attachment 148817
Yours looks like a taper bearing, mine was a standard 2 piece roller with integrated magnetic ABS seal. Different altogether.

Attachments

• IMG_5262.png
    IMG_5262.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Yours looks like a taper bearing, mine was a standard 2 piece roller with integrated magnetic ABS seal. Different altogether.
Really. What model is that now going on the front ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom