• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Fuel Range - Remaining Miles - W212 E-Class

silver1011

Car
2016 W212 E-Class Saloon SE
Being a Skoda owner for several years, it's taking me some time to get to grips with the onboard systems in my (new to me) 2016 W212 E-Class saloon.

The fuel light came on today, nothing unusual there, however I wanted to know the range remaining i.e. how many miles left until empty, to allow me to determine how long I had to find a fuel station.

Couldn't find it anywhere. Thinking about it, it wasn't there even before the fuel light illuminated either.

This was as close as I got...

I'm assuming the ability to determine the remaining range is in there somewhere?

Remember that its a Merc you are driving now,,,and it's gauges will be pretty accurate.....when the Merc tell's you you need it, you really need it, and much quicker than you would need to in the Skoda with the guage showing the same level. My previous car was a Skoda Superb... and the needle would be hitting on the very bottom, and it would still be Ok for a few more miles.Not so the Merc.

I only did it a few times, but I reckon I covered a good 20 miles with the range display on 'zero' on my Skoda Superb :)

Admittedly though, the mileage countdown was pretty useful. Knowing whether you've got 50 miles or 30 miles until empty can make life a little easier.

Point taken though, the lack of the red 'reserve' area on the fuel gauge afforded me too much comfort, once that needle settles on the '0' line I know I'm in trouble!

Trip menu - scroll down until you see Range

I tried that, it took me to the view that is in my opening post. The range is strangely absent.

Now that I've refuelled, I can see the range.

A little strange to me, I'm more likely to want to know the range when I'm running low on fuel, which for some reason is the point at which the car hides it.

It says on your screen there 'Distance' 571mi.

That will change depending on how you drive.

I think the low fuel light comes on when I have about ten litres left in the tank. Showing the range after that point is only going to cause people to see if they can get down to the last half pint of fuel before filling up again. Testing the accuracy of fuel gauges will only end in tears I think.

I refuel when I get to a 1/4 tank add another 10 gallons (45.5 litres in new money) The warning light rarely comes on, if it does I estimate 50 miles is probably the limit but I can see no point in not seeking to top up at the earliest opportunity when the warning light appears.

IT should be in the handbook, mine says 8 litres. I've pushed the limits to test it without actually running out and would say it's a good 8 litres. I only felt the need to do that once to give me some confidence in the thing and obviously you wouldn't test it without some spare fuel in a can.

It says on your screen there 'Distance' 571mi.

That will change depending on how you drive.

Yes, but as mentioned, as soon as the fuel light comes on, the range display disappears, and is replaced with the image from my opening post, a picture of the car with a red fuel nozzle next to it. As graphically entertaining the little picture is, I'd rather the 'miles until empty' remained visible, as when the fuel light illuminates, that's when I'm most likely to want to know how many miles I've got left.

Ah ok, sorry crossed wires.

I have had 60miles out of mine after light came on without issues.

Mercedes have done this for as long as I can remember - iirc when the car symbol comes on there’s about a gallon left.

I think the low fuel light comes on when I have about ten litres left in the tank. Showing the range after that point is only going to cause people to see if they can get down to the last half pint of fuel before filling up again. Testing the accuracy of fuel gauges will only end in tears I think.

I'm not really looking to test the accuracy of the fuel gauge, I just want to know how long I've got until I run out of fuel.

Is 1mm above the '0' line on the gauge 10 miles, or 50 miles?

The car has the ability to provide the range until empty, mine showed it as soon as I'd filled it up, but when the fuel light comes on, the miles until empty inconveniently is instantly disabled, which I'm now learning is the car basically saying "you're on your own".

I only pass one fuel station on my 62 miles (each way) commute, so it is possible to pass it without the fuel light on, and not pass it again until I'm running on fumes.

I'll get used to it, it's just that it seems a little backward compared to my previous car which had a fuel warning light, a red reserve section on the fuel gauge and the mileage countdown until empty (which had some contingency built-in).

My range display also disappears. It's then down to mental arithmetic.

No one would want to routinely rely on the full reserve but it's nice to know what it will do in an emergency.
Mine came on yesterday morning but I know with confidence it will easily do the 35 miles until my weekly visit to the supermarket tomorrow.

They are just covering their backs. if the car said it had 30miles left and it ran out after 5 then no doubt someone from AmericanLand would sue them.

3ED0EEA2-E70A-4E7C-AFFF-3947F28E7A14.jpeg Get a ME adapter fitted. It’ll tell how much you have left in litres. My light comes on and the ME read out says 10 litres left.

Is this from the 'Mercedes me' app / portal?

I have an account, but most of the useful stuff expired just after I bought the car (on its third birthday), available to renew, but at a cost.

I've not heard of an 'adaptor' though?

Mine has 2 gallons in it when the light comes on, that's about 35 miles usually. :wallbash:

My range to empty display stays working though.

Hah! I knew I had a picture somewhere, we'd been on the motorway for ages so was getting good fuel consumption and had a photo taken to commemorate the occasion.....

range to empty.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom