Gearbox Road Speed Gear Change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MartinPN

Car
E350 CDI Coupe
Good afternoon.
Please can someone help as i am pulling what little hair i have out, in frustration with my local dealership. I had a problem with the car underheating which the dealership eventually sorted out for me, they also said there is a soft wear update needed on the car, ok says I carry on. Since then the car wont change in to seventh gear automatically at 60 MPH as it used to. After the car has been back a couple of times for them to fix the problem various excuses etc etc it now changes into seventh at approx. 73MPH Please can some one advise me on the speeds it should change as 73MPH seems stupid and illegal. Any questions needed about what they have done i will answer to the best of my knowledge.
P.S to say i am fed up with the Dealership is an understatement.

Martin PN

Lots of info on here about the same issue after the diesel update!

To link just two..

Thank you for the reply but it is the gearbox / road speed change that I would like......

Thank you for the reply but it is the gearbox / road speed change that I would like......
Not sure if you read those linked threads but it is all related. The software update results in the gearbox/road speed change that you've observed. Your gearbox is working as expected after the update. Your MPG will also drop by about 10%. This is all related to bringing the NOx emissions back to the levels expected from official test results and avoiding Merecedes having a big fine from another 'Dieselgate'. I'll leave it to you to decide if you want to contact one of the numerous 'class action' lawyers that have sprung up.

And yes, it is stupid that the car can no longer automatically go into top gear within the UK legal limit. Probably wasn't a big concern to the German engineers and the UK dealerships don't seem to care. Why your dealership didn't just give you a straight response when this has been well understood and documented for over a year is something for them to answer.

So my car went to the dealership for the 3rd or 4th time about the gear change not happening into 7th. Guess what, they said it was happening all ok, i even have a report about it. Well i cant make it go into 7th unless i put it in via the gearbox selection mode switch and use the paddles. It seems like a expensive car to own and only have six automatic gears and a 7th manual. So sorry to ask again has any one any further ideas about the problem?.

Pretty much what Olly said in post #8

After the update you're struck with it like that, I'm afraid.

Drive a little faster :D. Go on, exceed the 70 limit sometimes; live a tiny little bit - but watch out for cameras...

So, my car had the emissions update ages ago and subsequently won't go into 7th gear until past 73mph.... except sometimes I've noticed that it has :confused:. Today I finally confirmed what is going on. On cross-country roads the big ol' 350CDI engine keeps up with the traffic without breaking a sweat, of course, so when leaving a 30 mph zone and accelerating up to the 60 mph limit at a 'normal' rate it just seamlessly changes from one gear to the next until it gets to 6th and then gives up as we now expect. However, if the road ahead is clear and I accelerate more urgently (ahem) up to 60 mph, so that it hangs onto a lower gear instead of going through the gears in turn, when I back off the throttle at 60 mph it changes into 7th and stays there.

So there we are: updated gearbox going into 7th by itself at 60 mph, just like the old days.... in the right circumstances.

In the right circumstances but not all the time. I am glad it's not just me. So Mr M Benz what are you going to do about it? That will be absolutely nothing.

In the right circumstances but not all the time. I am glad it's not just me. So Mr M Benz what are you going to do about it? That will be absolutely nothing.
The reasons your car is behaving this way since the software update (that you agreed to) have been explained to you on the Forum.

Mercedes and other major manufacturers used software to defeat emissions regulations.

That is not going to be changed back.

I know what you are saying. You must understand that having a part time 7 speed not so automatic gearbox is not what I agreed to with the update.

So please keep your smart **** comments to yourself.

I know what you are saying. You must understand that having a part time 7 speed not so automatic gearbox is not what I agreed to with the update.

So please keep your smart **** comments to yourself.
You are extremely rude , suggest you go and behave like an ill educated idiot on another forum that enjoys the level of contribution that you make 😡

With the level of input that you are bringing to this thread possibly you should keep out of the conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom