• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Genuine merc oil or aftermarket oil

You'd simply buy a suitable oil for that , it wouldn't necessarily be a high grade oil that costs fortunes.
Inevitably it costs. Since when did quality not?
I've been using mannol low saps c3 in my cars for 10 years . 20 litres costs £50 .
This one? >> MANNOL 7908 5W30 PREMIUM FULLY SYNTHETIC LONG LIFE ENGINE OIL LOW SAPS C3 - 20L - CMG Oils Direct

API-CH-4. The oils I use are API-CK-4. Two specs further up the road.
Hardly high spec which the question was .
Agreed.

Reactions: 190
Deleted

Last edited:
Hi Guys

which would be better for my standard 2015 c200.

a - genuine merc oil from dealers

or

b - a decent aftermarket oil like millers?

i was a webchat from one of the friendly guys at opie oils and they said - "Aftermarket oils from quality companies will exceed the minimum requirements for the specifications, whereas own brand oils will meet, rather than exceed the spec"

what do you guys use?
i used castrol edge 5/30

LOL.....its like the people who genuinely believe that Fully Synthetic oil is a man made product.....and does not come from underground like all the other car oils!!! Sure its played with and manmade ingredients go into it.....but the base material is almost always distilled crude oil.

I used to use Castrol Edge on my old car, then one day the turbo bearings let go in the Lake District.
I now use this for both our cars, bargain price around £18, and change it every year, one does 10,000 miles and mine does 2,500 miles.

mannol.jpg

Last edited:
I use the Motul Mercedes specific stuff in my E Class 250 CDI but looking today for a 5W-30 MB 229.52 spec shows this stuff which seem a bit of a bargain to me for 5L

I use the Motul Mercedes specific stuff in my E Class 250 CDI but looking today for a 5W-30 MB 229.52 spec shows this stuff which seem a bit of a bargain to me for 5L

Could buy a 20 litre bag in box for £40 odd quid a few year back.

You can still buy 20L of 229.52 for a little over £40.

Yeah , I wAs referring to the genuine mb oil . It's about £80 now 👍

Make sure the genuine mb oil is from genuine mb dinosaurs.
I don’t think many people believe that MB branded oil is better, but I do believe that many people believe that MB oil is relatively inexpensive when bought from the parts counter (or online).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom