• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Glow Plugs.

Sheffield Col

Car
Mercedes 2014, C Class 220 Diesel Automatic Blutec W205
Does my 2.2 C Class W205 diesel 651 engine have glow plugs ? I ask because I was told to leave the glow plugs on for 20 secs in this cold weather. But with the keyless go I just press the button and it starts. Also I don't recall seeing a Glow plug symbol on the dash, I suppose I could just take the button out and start it with the key. But if there are no glow plugs it's pointless taking the button out.

Well your car has glow plugs,never thought about a keyless car before but I suppose the way to do it would be to just push the start button without putting your foot on the brake that will I think will help starting in this cold weather

Well your car has glow plugs,never thought about a keyless car before but I suppose the way to do it would be to just push the start button without putting your foot on the brake that will I think will help starting in this cold weather
Thank you, I never thought about doing that, good idea.

Speaking from having had diesels without keyless go/a start button, my experience is that when it's cold, if you don't leave the glow plugs long enough (and we're only talking 2 or 3 seconds here for them to do enough), if you essentially try to crank straight away, it cranks for more revs than normal and doesn't start as easily but will eventually start. This is with an engine in good condition.

I'd imagine a push button system knows all this, and will wait until conditions in the engine are adequate for start, including taking account of outside temperature.

If you aren't getting a more laboured start or a few more cranking revs before ignition, then it sounds like it's working correctly.

Speaking from having had diesels without keyless go/a start button, my experience is that when it's cold, if you don't leave the glow plugs long enough (and we're only talking 2 or 3 seconds here for them to do enough), if you essentially try to crank straight away, it cranks for more revs than normal and doesn't start as easily but will eventually start. This is with an engine in good condition.

I'd imagine a push button system knows all this, and will wait until conditions in the engine are adequate for start, including taking account of outside temperature.

If you aren't getting a more laboured start or a few more cranking revs before ignition, then it sounds like it's working correctly.
Starting is fine, it's just that someone mentioned that diesels need glow plugs for cold starting, I knew this anyway but never had keyless go before and it got me thinking.

^^^^^^^^
Since the cold weather has arrived, when starting from cold instead of starting as soon as the start button is pressed, there is about a 3 second delay and the Glow plug light also stays on until the engine starts

Just a suggestion.....but maybe its like many other brands..the glow plugs fire up the moment you open the door if you have a cold engine....so by the time you are in and started its already preheated. Don't know if Merc use that practise to be honest....never had a Merc derv......but lots, like Audi, do.

Just a suggestion.....but maybe its like many other brands..the glow plugs fire up the moment you open the door if you have a cold engine....so by the time you are in and started its already preheated. Don't know if Merc use that practise to be honest....never had a Merc derv......but lots, like Audi, do.
Yeah, it's common even on the lesser brands so imagine it must be on Mercs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom