• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Going from 245/35/19 to 255/35/19 Front tyres

such01

SUPPORTER
Car
E350 CDI W212
The standard front tyres on my W212 E350D provide zero rim protection UR5's.
I have tried others but the AMG wheels just seem to be bigger.
My front wheels are 8.5J with 245/35 tyres

I am looking at getting wider 255/35 tyres solely for rim protection, as I intend on getting my wheels refurbed since they were done nearly 70k miles ago.
Will this work or should I go with 255/30's instead?

Thanks

I have tried the correct size tyres - Goodyear, Pirelli, Uniroyal - all with rim protection but they all fit the same.

I have tried the correct size tyres - Goodyear, Pirelli, Uniroyal - all with rim protection but they all fit the same.
Some tyres will have rim protection, others won’t. Some manufacturers say a tyre has rim protection but in practice it’s minimal.

Have you tried Michelin?

I have different types of Michelin tyres on several different cars and all have very prominent rim protection.

If it’s important then it’s worth shopping around to find the right tyre. I don’t believe an oversize tyre will help much.

My AMG front wheels are notorious for being slightly wider and I've read other owners with my setup having the same problem, even with Michelins.
All the tyres mentioned above have good rim protection - just not enough.
1667313286970.png

Those 19” wheels are notorious for the tyre fitting issue. It’s as if they actually now outwards at the bottom preventing a tyre to overlap at all. The rears are even worse. If you’re keeping the car as it is brilliant, think about downsizing to 18”s ? Plenty on eBay

Those 19” wheels are notorious for the tyre fitting issue. It’s as if they actually now outwards at the bottom preventing a tyre to overlap at all. The rears are even worse. If you’re keeping the car as it is brilliant, think about downsizing to 18”s ? Plenty on eBay
Thanks - the rears are actually ok, there is some protection there. I've had the car for 6 years now 101k miles later. I did toy with the idea of downsizing wheels but didn't fancy shelling out on a new set plus tyres.

OP - do you have 275/30 rears? If so, the car came with different wheel height front to rear from the factory.

If go to 255/35 then will actually increase difference in height, whilst a 30 section sidewall will give a lower overall height than the rears.

This particular offset is really difficult to work with. The fronts are defintilely more prone to kerb damage due to the way the bead fits onto the rim whilst rear more susceptible to cracks on inner face. However, those alloys are some of the best looking in 19" on an E Class.

The only solution is find the best rim protection tyre that is around and "get a taxi to the kerb" ;)

Yes I have the 273/30 rears. I may just get the wheels done with the standard tyre and accept that sheet happens..

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I will add I've never tried these, it was something that sprung to mind that maybe solve your problem.

Last edited:

I will add I've never tried these, it was something that sprung to mind that maybe solve your problem.

I had some Alloygators which did a really great job of protecting the wheel but over time they made a real mess of the diamond cut finish. Lighter damage than kerbs or potholes so on balance better for the wheel but still damages it.

The trouble is a 255 tyre may actually be around 245 or the other way 265 .

Quite a variance between brands sometimes.

2019-11-18 12.18.22.png

Because of this varience in widths and aspect ratios it renders some aspects of these tyre & wheel calculators useless .

When comparing two compatible set ups I had to hand real world there was a massive difference compared to how it calculated .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom