Gone in 40 seconds...keyless go strikes again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrol Pete

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon
Yet another news story on -line (with CCTV) of a Mercedes Benz being stolen with almost zero effort. Yes , yes I know the owner should have 'double blipped' , removed the pushbutton , fitted a steel steering lock, removed the wheels , built a wall around it , " If they want it they will have it" etc , etc.

But Really ? It can't just be MB that has this obvious weak point , but it does seem to be MB cars that make the news.

I guess because Mercs are considered “posh” it’s a bit more sensational. As in, “look, see the expensive car get stolen”.

Someone I worked with had their Ford Kuga stolen due to keyless entry. So it’s not just Mercs.

Seems to be mainly high end vehicles that make the news, perhaps because owners and journalists expect that paying more means getting stronger security? Unfortunately one factor, token based designs like this make convenience and security completely incompatible.

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk

The latest theft was in Solihull. Birmingham is creeping up the list for car crime.
Here are Tracker Vehicle recovery figures for 2016.

TRACKER'S TOP TEN REGIONS FOR CAR THEFT IN 2016

1. London and Greater London
  2. Essex
  3. West Midlands
  4. West Yorkshire/Kent (tie)
  5. West Yorkshire/Kent (tie)
  6. Surrey
  7. Greater Manchester
  8. Merseyside
  9. South Yorkshire
  10. Lancashire.
TRACKER'S TOP TEN MOST STOLEN CARS IN 2016

1. BMW X5
  2. Range Rover Sport
  3. BMW M3
  4. Mercedes-Benz C Class
  5. Mercedes-Benz E Class
  6. BMW 3 Series
  7. Range Rover Autobiography
  8. Range Rover Vogue
  9. Land Rover Defender
  10. BMW 5 Series

Fords have been stolen without keys for a long time now just not using these relay devices. I've also read reports of Audis disappearing off driveways with just broken glass left in its place.

Total joke. Total losing the plot from car companies. Design something no one really needs.

Mercedes; double click is all well and good but total rubbish. The number of double clicks that don’t work. You need to examine the key to make sure you see the prolonged red light.

Honestly.....

I've setup the 'beep on lock' feature found in the vehicle settings menu. That way i'll hear two blips of the horn to know I've done it right

But it's data from Tracker, so only small part of the market.
I think it is also misleading because Trackers will only be fitted on the more expensive (predominately German) cars

Luckily on my current Landrover Discovery Sport there is a way to switch off the keyless permanently using the keyfob. Interestingly JLR say it can't be done but there is a simple key sequence and its off permanently which is good as it is fitted as standard to most DS's whether you want it or not. For the first couple of weeks after switching it off you realise how used you get to walking up to the car and opening it when you realise you need to fumble for the key, but i'd rather have my car when I want to go to work in the morning.

Strangely here in Germany alarms are not standard on cars. Our neighbour had a brand new 212 estate with every option (literally) but no alarm. Strangely it was stolen when it was 3 weeks old and got intercepted at the German/Czech border or false plates as it was just about to disappear for good.

Keyless Go is quite high on my list of 'don't want' features when I'm looking for a car, just in case. It's quite nice to have, but I'd rather keep the car than just the keys.

They use low loaders as well .If they want it .Just winch it up on to the back and away.. I hear that shorting out the body with ,well wont say anymore but it closes down all the electronics so it makes no alarm noise .

Keyless Go is quite high on my list of 'don't want' features when I'm looking for a car, just in case. It's quite nice to have, but I'd rather keep the car than just the keys.
If you decide to get new one, higher model, it could be impossible to get the car without keyless. Even cheap cars have it now as standard.

Remove or disconnect a vital wire in the engine .

back in the day my dad wired a physical switch into the starter relay, hidden under the dash.

I'm guessing keeping your keycard in a metal box would stop this unless the thieves were hiding under your bushes when you walked past with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom