Goodyear XL (Extra Load) tyres vs standard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derektrotter

Car
MB
Hi All

I'm getting 4x new tyres for my W212, have settled on the EfficientGrip however I noticed I have 2 options with this car which i've never come across before:
1) EfficientGrip 245/45R17 GDYR EFFGRIP 95W MO (E rated on fuel)
2) EfficientGrip 245/45R17 GDYR EFGRP 99Y XL MO (C rated on fuel)

It looks like both are compatible with my car and are MO rated, the obvious choice for me was to go for the non XL one as I never carry load or passengers however the XL one has a better rating for fuel as you can see above, has anyone used both (XL vs non XL) and noticed any differences with ride quality, tread wear rates etc?

I've had heavy centre wear on the non XL effgrip rear tyres (despite correct tyre pressures being maintained) so i'm thinking the XL ones may actually fare better due to it being reinforced and holding their shape better.

Reading Reinforced tyres: pros and cons » Oponeo.co.uk makes the XL sounds like the ones to go for assuming its accurate..

What does your user manual tell you is the full specification for the tyres for your model. Usually contains the XL information if they are required.

Hi, I checked the manual but it did not specifically mention XL for my tyre size, I've checked with the dealer and also Goodyear, for future members benefit:

It is permissible to fit extra load tyres where a vehicle manufacturer has recommended standard load but never the reverse.

Goodyear Dunlop and all tyre companies selling road tyres in the EEC have to conform to certain regulations laid down by the ETRTO (European Tyre Rim Technical Organisation). Within these specifications the amount of weight a tyre can carry at certain pressures are specified depending on the tyre size. As vehicles though have got heavier, put out more power and in general require more work from the tyres than they used to there are occasions where the specifications laid down by the ETRTO are not enough for some cars.

The XL for this reason means the tyre has abilities to carry more weight than the standard specification tyre.
There is not a lot of difference in ride quality as it is not so much a stiffer sidewall but the materials used in construction.

Hope this helps :)

Please use correct section. Moving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom