• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Greetings from South Africa. I'm the owner of a c220 cdi OM651

LennyM

Car
C220 cdi 651 Engine W204
Greetings from South Africa. I'm new to the forum and the owner of a 2010, W204 C220 CDI, OM651.

An awkward experience I'm having. With the low fuel light (Reserve) on, my vehicle performs well accelerate producing good power. When I put fuel in with the reserve light off and then put load on the engine, be it uphill or just putting my foot down on a straight, I get an engine light and DTCs P0087, P0252. I've replaced the fuel pressure sensor on the rail. Eventually replaced the complete rail with a 2nd hand one (temp sensors & regulating valve included). The codes keeps coming back. Replaced the sender unit and fuel pump with new Bosch products and fault keeps coming back. Replaced the quantity control valve with a 2nd hand one, but without joy. Reconditioned all 4 injectors and still no joy. Also on truning the ignition on (priming), a gurgling sound comes from the

As soon as the reserve light comes back on, the car is like a bullet performing very well; no DTC. I refuel and the problem comes back.

I've read a few threads around fuel/rail issues but did not come across someone with the exactly the same experience. If so, I apologise posting it once again and kindly provide a thread reference.

Appreciated.

Last edited:
Greetings LennyM, and welcome to the group from me - Alas i have never owned that model of car so cannot help you, but i am sure someone else will be able to help.

Also on truning the ignition on (priming), a gurgling sound comes from the
I checked mine this morning. This does not happend after 48 hours standing .
You have an air leak, maybe at the fuelf ilter connections ?

I checked mine this morning. This does not happend after 48 hours standing .
You have an air leak, maybe at the fuelf ilter connections ?
Greetings
Thank you for the response.
I'm just wondering if a leak, should it not result in the same error code(s) and engine light irrespective of whether the reserve light is on or not?

Greetings
Thank you for the response.
I'm just wondering if a leak, should it not result in the same error code(s) and engine light irrespective of whether the reserve light is on or not?
fix the air leak first.

fix the air leak first.
I've checked for leaks already and could not find any. I'll do a run through all pipes once again and see if I can spot any. Thank you.

Have you (or anybody reading the post) perhaps experienced issues with the float on the fuel pump before? I'm trying to get my head around the reason why the reserve light has an influence on the DTCs.

Last edited:
I've checked for leaks already and could not find any. I'll do a run through all pipes once again and see if I can spot any. Thank you.
Because of the difference in viscosity you can have a one way leak where air bleeds in but fuel does not come out. What do the connexions look like to the fuel filter. Do they have the original clips? You have to check the connexions all the way back to the high pressure fuel pump which is on the back of the engine. If the fiter is primed every time you turn on the ignition then you definitely are bleeding air into the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom