H&H AUCTION SL55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That’s a great car for the money. The seats look like they have had a hard life for such little mileage though.

Yep! I would have gone for that for the price.... the colour is very appealing - Still prefer the black though, although i would say that :cool:

I’ve been surprised how little the SL55 seems to go for these days. Historics have some interesting ones in their May auction.

Seems like a good example for the money.

Bet the paint would look so much better after a decent polish too 😎
Agreed, and the interior leather as well.

If fourth owner (in Spain) was a decade ago, how many has it had, and has its maintenance suffered as a result?

Agreed, and the interior leather as well.

If fourth owner (in Spain) was a decade ago, how many has it had, and has its maintenance suffered as a result?
Over the years most auction cars I have seen are never as good in the flesh as you expect going by the photos and/or description. A second look at the photos of this one and the front end in particular looks quite rough/chippy/road rashed for the mileage (bumper and grille etc). I suspect it’s perhaps not as tidy as you’d expect for the mileage as often these are cherished, pampered garage queens (48k miles in 20+ years)

Perhaps this is part of the reason it made sub £20k?

I think SL55s sold in quite large numbers so there is plenty of supply, coupled with high (perceived or otherwise) running costs - ABC, SBC, electronics etc. And until recently they’re in the mid life of being relatively old now but not exactly considered a serious collectible or modern classic etc.

I nearly bought one a few years back, I’d say prices have firmed up quite a bit from say 7/8 years ago but considering the prices of everything else these days they’re still pretty good value for money :cool: :thumb:

Over the years most auction cars I have seen are never as good in the flesh as you expect going by the photos and/or description. A second look at the photos of this one and the front end in particular looks quite rough/chippy/road rashed for the mileage (bumper and grille etc). I suspect it’s perhaps not as tidy as you’d expect for the mileage as often these are cherished, pampered garage queens (48k miles in 20+ years)

Perhaps this is part of the reason it made sub £20k?

I think SL55s sold in quite large numbers so there is plenty of supply, coupled with high (perceived or otherwise) running costs - ABC, SBC, electronics etc. And until recently they’re in the mid life of being relatively old now but not exactly considered a serious collectible or modern classic etc.

I nearly bought one a few years back, I’d say prices have firmed up quite a bit from say 7/8 years ago but considering the prices of everything else these days they’re still pretty good value for money :cool: :thumb:
I’d noticed that there are two SL55’s up at Historics with estimates of less than £20k.

Still broadly double the price of their SL500 equivalent, but that’s the AMG premium.

These were £100k cars when the likes of Steve Jobs was buying them….

Auction details here:

Ref 77 2006 Mercedes-Benz SL55 JG

IMG_7067.jpeg

I’m not convinced that it’s a £30k+ car myself.

Interesting car.. Auctions can be very fickle.. two determined bidders can push a price artificially hight.. and bad timing.. with one bidder can let it go for a song.. will be curious to see what it sell for this time.. :)

Typical… one poor soul will pay near asking price and keep the lights on

It’d only be the colour that may tempt someone to pay over the odds.

There’s plenty of SL55s about - quick look on auto trader - a 44k miler for £17k, plenty of sub-50k milers out there for £20k +/- a few £k.

Personally I’d be after a later facelift model maybe with 030 package and/or some nice options for that sort of money. Or probably be looking at something different - SL63 6.2 would be well within budget too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom