• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Harsh suspension on front passenger

VenomX

Car
C240 2002
C240 2002 with 34K miles on the clock ( yeah low mileage )

I have noticed if I hit a dip or bump on the front passenger, it feels really harsh.
Usually if I hit a level speed bump, everything feels fine.

I think I must have a worn coil spring on the front passenger. Previous owner is a family member and they would regularly ( for 20 years ) park on the curb and most likely I assume have caused some wear to the spring by doing this.

Does this sound an accurate diagnosis ? I have done lots of work on the car and the springs are in very good condition considering the age of the vehicle, don't remember seeing any corrosion or leaks from the shocks

As I do not want to work with coil springs ( safety ) I would rather the mechanic do the job.
In regards to good shocks/coils, will anything do ? As it is not a particularly sporty car, just a nice soft chilled out ride.
I would likely get shocks and coils done at the same time for good measure.
Something mid-range such as napa/apec/nk/febi/kyb whatever.

Thanks

Springs don’t wear: they may go soft (in which case the ride height would drop) or they break - which is pretty obvious.

More likely would be a seized, or partially seized, joint in the suspension, or - perhaps - a failed damper, but they normally go soft over time rather than becoming harsh.

It sounds like you may be expecting the same result in both situations, when there's significantly different dynamics in play. For a start, the ARB has minimal input if both wheels are moving together.

A broken coil spring isn't always obvious.
It's usually the bottom turn of the coil that breaks due to stress corrosion.
I once replaced a spring that was failed by an MOT tester.
In line with good practice, I replaced the other side also, so that I would have a matching pair.
I found the other side broken as well that neither the MOT tester nor myself had spotted.

+1 for a possible broken spring , my car passed an MOT with a broken spring , just the last inch or so of the coil had broken off and was impossible to see and the change in ride height was not very visible.

Thanks guys. So it is possible I have a cracked spring which causes the " harshness " on the front passenger ?

Thanks guys. So it is possible I have a cracked spring which causes the " harshness " on the front passenger ?
Yes, because the amount of available suspension travel is reduced.

As above.

Also, did it deteriorate under your ownership? Another possible explanation is that a repair was previously carried out to the front suspension, either using incorrect parts or incorrect torques etc.

But I agree that a broken spring is the first think to check.

The longer the piece that has broken off is, the harder the ride will be. But if its as hard as you say I doubt its the spring..... seized joint or knackered damper would be further up the list for me.

As above.

Also, did it deteriorate under your ownership? Another possible explanation is that a repair was previously carried out to the front suspension, either using incorrect parts or incorrect torques etc.

But I agree that a broken spring is the first think to check.

Possibly, but not significantly.
As said previous owner was a family member who had the car from 2004ish, and has never had any work done on it except the usual A/B services. I have done the drop links as they were clunking ( which is now fixed ), but surely that would be unlikely to cause the harshness ?

I will get the wheels off when I get a chance and check it out for any signs of damage.

The longer the piece that has broken off is, the harder the ride will be. But if its as hard as you say I doubt its the spring..... seized joint or knackered damper would be further up the list for me.
When you say " joint " do you mean ball joint ? I thought they just allow the wheel to move around freely, rather than take impact

Last edited:
I have done the drop links as they were clunking ( which is now fixed ), but surely that would be unlikely to cause the harshness ?
Did the 'harshness' start after you replaced the drop links?

Did the 'harshness' start after you replaced the drop links?

Honestly I cannot remember as it was at the beginning of summer when I literally just got the car and had barely driven it.
They are both identical links, fitted at the same time, yet only the passenger feels harsh. As said, previous ( elderly ) owner for 20 years would regularly park the car on the curb with the front passenger hitting it first which is why I believe it was already like that when I got the car and hence what caused it in the first place.

I did not torque the drop links but did do them very tightly. Perhaps something to look at ? I have plenty of torque wrenches handy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom