Head up guys on a new scam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Online and telephone scams are bad, but you can protect yourself against these by being sensible and careful.

Personally I am more concerned with the ease at which criminal gangs are able to buy postal items off bent Royal Mail employees.

There's absolutely nothing you can do whem identity thieves are able to have a lengthy correspondance with your bank, requesting cards and PINs by post, all of which are intercepted by Royal Mail employees and sold-on to the fraudsters.

You only discover that you have supposedly requested credit cards and taken-out various loans when the debt collection agencies start calling.

Except there were cases in 2018 about it, and Royal Mail have again set up an investigation ahead of this years season as per their own warnings, which will go out in due course

I’ll also assume you meant ‘companies’, as there has never been just the ‘one’. Just because it doesn’t happen to you, it doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Just like I wouldn’t be silly enough to let gas men in with fake badges, unlike my widowed grandmother a few years back which resulted in money and jewellery being stolen under her nose

I guess you’re another person who thinks contactless cards can’t be swiped in the safety of your pocket? :wallbash:

Any evidence to support that claim? Given that there's nothing prominent on Royal Mail's own website beyond their year round advice on fraudulent activity, even the press (who routinely seize on this thing with a sensationalist headline, only to admit by paragraph 3 that it's all conjecture and there's no evidence that anyone has *actually* been billed that amount) seem surprisingly quiet on the matter.

The original scam was an incident with a singular company, that was fined and shut down. The same waffle gets trawled out every year quoting that same company, with various inflated figured attached. It's easy enough to do research and check into things - Are the circumstances surrounding this scenario actually possible? Does this person really work for who they say they do? Am I expecting a visit from them?

But people don't bother. They just happily accept what they're spoon-fed, in all areas of their lives, and then regurgitate it like some self-fulfilling prophecy.

You'd guess wrong, but that you've jumped to that conclusion does not surprise me.

Last edited:
I’m not sure what part I may have been ‘spoon fed’ when I could hear all items being discussed during meetings and calls across three different delivery offices conducted by PIC’s, but hey... what do I know! :dk:

So clearly you have specific knowledge, and yet choose to act disingenuous. Enough said.

Too slow.

Also may I add, this is just RM. There’s also Amazon and even Argos who are being used for these hoodwinks. It’s not hard to set up a premium line, nor is it to produce delivery cards either

I only posted for awareness, I will presume a large majority of members would think twice before calling up a number on a delivery card, but even myself I get lost with the handful of cards at Christmas time especially from Amazon, I lose count of what I order. It only takes a second of misjudgement :)

So clearly you have specific knowledge, and yet choose to act disingenuous. Enough said.

If I’ve offended you this morning, ruined your morning coffee or paper... then it wasn’t my intention to. I do apologise, as you were.

I’m sure you have far better things to do than argue about a scam, you seem 100% switched on so tonight, I will sleep well. Knowing you won’t become a victim, ever ever ever

If I’ve offended you this morning, ruined your morning coffee or paper... then it wasn’t my intention to. I do apologise, as you were.

I’m sure you have far better things to do than argue about a scam, you seem 100% switched on so tonight, I will sleep well. Knowing you won’t become a victim, ever ever ever

Welcome back Ash. :rolleyes:

That's good to hear. Sleep deprivation does terrible things to one's judgement.

Ah come on people, that tale has been doing the rounds for nearly 15 years now. All the more ironic because the actual scenario that spawned it was long since shut down, and the company responsible fined. There's been no notable recurrance since but this sh*t keeps on getting pedalled out year on year :rolleyes:

Any evidence to support that claim? Given that there's nothing prominent on Royal Mail's own website beyond their year round advice on fraudulent activity, even the press (who routinely seize on this thing with a sensationalist headline, only to admit by paragraph 3 that it's all conjecture and there's no evidence that anyone has *actually* been billed that amount) seem surprisingly quiet on the matter.

The original scam was an incident with a singular company, that was fined and shut down. The same waffle gets trawled out every year quoting that same company, with various inflated figured attached. It's easy enough to do research and check into things - Are the circumstances surrounding this scenario actually possible? Does this person really work for who they say they do? Am I expecting a visit from them?

But people don't bother. They just happily accept what they're spoon-fed, in all areas of their lives, and then regurgitate it like some self-fulfilling prophecy.

You'd guess wrong, but that you've jumped to that conclusion does not surprise me.

That's good to hear. Sleep deprivation does terrible things to one's judgement.

I nominate @Doodle for Cross Member status.

Or perhaps we should just add a new member rank for those that live in a permanent state of online rage. And given we are repeatedly reminded that this is a car forum, how about Cross Member?

That bar won't hold me forever! :D
Bars can be a welcome distraction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom