• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Headlight Swap C63 W204 2008 Pre-Facelift TO FACELIFT, I've Got it Working APART From Dipped Beam......... PLEASE HELP.......

slipons

Car
C63
Hi all fountains of knowledge.......... I'm fitting C250 AMG W204 (2012) Coupe Diesel FACELIFT headlights to a PRE-FACELIFT C63 W204 (2008) 4 Door, and I've got everything working APART from the dipped beam...... PLEASE HELP..........

Both cars have the same 14 pin connector, however, there are 10 pins used on the C63 (Pin 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10), and only 9 pins used one the C250 (Pin 1,2,3,5,6,8,9,10 and 11).

I have connected 7 wires (highlighted in red below), and got it mostly working APART from the dipped beam.

(C63 W204 Chassis 4 Door 2008 Pre-Facelift WIRING) (C250 W204 Chassis Coupe 2012 Facelift HEADLIGHT)
Pin 1 - CAN Low NOT CONNECTED (Don't know ?) Pin ??????
Pin 2 - CAN High NOT CONNECTED (Don't know ?) Pin ??????
Pin 3 - Side Light Pin 3 - Side Light (C-Light) - WORKING
Pin 4 - Side Light 2 N/C
Pin 5 - Ground 1 Pin 5 - Ground 1
Pin 6 - Xenon Headlamp Pin 6 - Xenon Headlamp - WORKING
Pin 7 - High Beam Pin 8 - Corner Illumination (Comes on when High Beam is On) - WORKING
Pin 8 - Indicator Pin 1 - Indicator
- WORKING
Pin 9 - 12V Supply to Headlight Unit Electronics Pin 9 - 12V Supply to Headlight Unit Electronics
Pin 10 - Ground 2 Pin 10 - Ground 2

Pins occupied on C63 Headlight 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 and 11,12,13,14 not used (TOTAL in use, 10 PINS) - Pins occupied on C250 Headlight 2,11,3,5,6,8,1,9,10 and 4,7,12,13,14 not used (TOTAL in use, 9 PINS)

I am left with 2 remaining connections on the headlight (namely pins 2 and 11), but I cannot get the dipped beam to work?????????? (when I put headlights on it goes straight to high beam???????).

As far as I am aware, there is a shutter motor that is controlled (somehow????) to shield the xenon headlamp bulb for dipped beam, but the shutter is supposed to ONLY open up for high beam.

Why is the shutter open all the time? How can I control it????????

Hi all fountains of knowledge.......... I'm fitting C250 AMG W204 (2012) Coupe Diesel FACELIFT headlights to a PRE-FACELIFT C63 W204 (2008) 4 Door, and I've got everything working APART from the dipped beam...... PLEASE HELP..........

Both cars have the same 14 pin connector, however, there are 10 pins used on the C63 (Pin 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10), and only 9 pins used one the C250 (Pin 1,2,3,5,6,8,9,10 and 11).

I have connected 7 wires (highlighted in red below), and got it mostly working APART from the dipped beam.

(C63 W204 Chassis 4 Door 2008 Pre-Facelift WIRING) (C250 W204 Chassis Coupe 2012 Facelift HEADLIGHT)
Pin 1 - CAN Low NOT CONNECTED (Don't know ?) Pin ??????
Pin 2 - CAN High NOT CONNECTED (Don't know ?) Pin ??????
Pin 3 - Side Light Pin 3 - Side Light (C-Light) - WORKING
Pin 4 - Side Light 2 N/C
Pin 5 - Ground 1 Pin 5 - Ground 1
Pin 6 - Xenon Headlamp Pin 6 - Xenon Headlamp - WORKING
Pin 7 - High Beam Pin 8 - Corner Illumination (Comes on when High Beam is On) - WORKING
Pin 8 - Indicator Pin 1 - Indicator
- WORKING
Pin 9 - 12V Supply to Headlight Unit Electronics Pin 9 - 12V Supply to Headlight Unit Electronics
Pin 10 - Ground 2 Pin 10 - Ground 2

Pins occupied on C63 Headlight 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 and 11,12,13,14 not used (TOTAL in use, 10 PINS) - Pins occupied on C250 Headlight 2,11,3,5,6,8,1,9,10 and 4,7,12,13,14 not used (TOTAL in use, 9 PINS)

I am left with 2 remaining connections on the headlight (namely pins 2 and 11), but I cannot get the dipped beam to work?????????? (when I put headlights on it goes straight to high beam???????).

As far as I am aware, there is a shutter motor that is controlled (somehow????) to shield the xenon headlamp bulb for dipped beam, but the shutter is supposed to ONLY open up for high beam.

Why is the shutter open all the time? How can I control it????????
Do they need coding and do the ballasts work?

Do they need coding and do the ballasts work?
Hi, As far as I'm aware, there are only 4 lights in the headlight assembly (1-Xenon Headlamp, 2-Side Light, 3-Corner Illumination and 4-Indicator), and they all work fine, so no issues with ballasts.

The Problem I have, is how to control the shutter motor that controls the amount of light output from the Xenon Headlamp? (i.e. High and low beam). The shutter seems to be permanently open, so when I put the headlights on, it is high beam, but the shutter should be closed for dipped headlights, and ONLY open for high beam.

You mentioned coding, but as far as I'm aware, 2008 vehicles have CAN Bus, and 2012 vehicles have LIN Bus (I have now found out that pin 2 on the facelift (2012) headlight is LIN Bus.

Pins 2 and 11 on the facelift headlight are still not connected, as I don't know what to connect them to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Are you sure that the headlamps you are fitting are from a facelift car? If so, have you also replaced the bonnet? The reason for asking is that the facelift headlamps have a different shape to the pre-facelift.

Hi, As far as I'm aware, there are only 4 lights in the headlight assembly (1-Xenon Headlamp, 2-Side Light, 3-Corner Illumination and 4-Indicator), and they all work fine, so no issues with ballasts.

The Problem I have, is how to control the shutter motor that controls the amount of light output from the Xenon Headlamp? (i.e. High and low beam). The shutter seems to be permanently open, so when I put the headlights on, it is high beam, but the shutter should be closed for dipped headlights, and ONLY open for high beam.

You mentioned coding, but as far as I'm aware, 2008 vehicles have CAN Bus, and 2012 vehicles have LIN Bus (I have now found out that pin 2 on the facelift (2012) headlight is LIN Bus.

Pins 2 and 11 on the facelift headlight are still not connected, as I don't know what to connect them to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
The title of you thread was somewhat misleading as it said everything working "apart from dipped beam" and hence my question about the ballasts.

It' seems that you have incompatible wiring looms. Can find wiring diagrams for both cars to try trace the differences?

Are you sure that the headlamps you are fitting are from a facelift car? If so, have you also replaced the bonnet? The reason for asking is that the facelift headlamps have a different shape to the pre-facelift.
Thanks for the replies so far. Yes they are definately facelift 2012 headlights, I DID have to change the bonnet.

I must apologise though for some mis-information........... Firstly, it is the HIGH BEAM that does NOT work (I've been working on this during daylight, hence the failure to properly determine whether high or low beam was on).

Secondly, today after leaving the side lights (C-Lights) on a bit longer, I noticed one of them go off, then come back on, then the other one did the same.......... Does this mean I need to fit a capacitor somewhere to correct this issue?

DSM 10000, Yes the wiring doesn't match, and I did not expect 'Plug and Play', but I'm trying to figure out how to make it work, even if I have to simulate a LIM signal (for example) to make high beam work, but I'm looking for advice on how the high beam is controlled, and what signal do I need?

DSM 10000, Yes the wiring doesn't match, and I did not expect 'Plug and Play', but I'm trying to figure out how to make it work, even if I have to simulate a LIM signal (for example) to make high beam work, but I'm looking for advice on how the high beam is controlled, and what signal do I need?
That is why I suggested that you need comparative wiring diagrams to see what is common between the new headlamps and the wiring.

It sounds like quite a project!

I'm having the same problem, I got some conversion cables from Germany from old Xenon to the new xenon, but the high lights don't work. The HEADLIGHT is Bi-Xenon, the turn signals work on the start, but then on a second it gives the error in the panel, there I believe it needs to resist to nullify the error and there should be working already, the concern is really the maximum light not work.
Do you ever have an idea how to solve? Thanks

Theres a controller you have to add to control that - its a long time since I did one but it needed an extra level sensor (because it was halogen non Xenon before) - and you need a new enough front SAM that understands everything (2011 sam understands old and new) - and then I did some complicated coding stuff .. but a long time ago ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom