HELP!! Cl203 I want to buy lacks MOT history

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Update*
Milage turned out to be genuine I spoke to the DVA and they sent the MOT history confirming the milage. Unfortunately the seller is being difficult and asking me to send images of my drivers licence and said he won't let me view the Mercedes otherwise. Which I'm not comfortable doing as this is a private sale and complete stranger. Said I'd bring it with me but that wasn't good enough 😕 sounds like fraud...
Would you be reccomsending this sort of personal information?
This is based in Walthamstow right? Sending your driver's license to someone in East London, buying a car in East London...it's bad to generalise but statistically speaking its reputation isn't great...

Proceed with caution...
Yes its that one! I think I'll leave it, despite the rare extras, it's not worth the risk of sending personal details. The last car I bought privately the owner never asked for any of my personal details in order to allow me to view the vehicle so it seems quite strange. Don't see why I can't just produce these documents on the scene?

Reactions: 219
What I might to is to show part of your DL , but only your photo and name , blur out all your other details.

And make it clear you will require to see the V5 when viewing the car AT THE ADDRESS SHOWN ON THE V5 .

I've edited my post, I have a burner SIM with some credit on it, happy to message him and see if the outcome is the same?

Don't worry I'm not trying to buy the car you're after, just a little concerned you're entertaining this when it's in Walthamstow 😂

This is based in Walthamstow right? Sending your driver's license to someone in East London, buying a car in East London...it's bad to generalise but statistically speaking its reputation isn't great...

Do you have access to another phone, if so message them and ask to arrange a viewing to buy the car without asking too much and see if the prerequisites to view his car is the same.

Let's be realistic here, it's a £2600 car, not a 5 figure exotic - what's with the disproportionate prerequisites in his part? It's wholly inappropriate for someone with a two month foot print on GumTree based in East London to ask for your license up front, let's go back a few years and Gum Tree/scams in that part of London was well known.
Exactly! I completely agree it is inappropriate and unnecessary to blackmail someone into producing personal documents in order to just view the vehicle. I do not have access to another phone, well not that has another simcard anyway so don't think I can do that. Again as you said its not an exotic car so what's with all the prere
I've edited my post, I have a burner SIM with some credit on it, happy to message him and see if the outcome is the same?

Don't worry I'm not trying to buy the car you're after, just a little concerned you're entertaining this when it's in Walthamstow 😂
Go ahead 😂 might as well if you do let us know the outcome. I am not entertaining it now, no way am I sending my personal details to a stranger just to view an old car it's ridiculous. Not even buy just VIEW 😂. I was only interested due to the rare extras but I'm not going to get roped in, recipe for disaster. All this explains why a supposedly nice car has been on the market for so long, if this is how the seller has approached other interested buyers...

What I might to is to show part of your DL , but only your photo and name , blur out all your other details.

And make it clear you will require to see the V5 when viewing the car AT THE ADDRESS SHOWN ON THE V5 .
I mean I suppose so but he doesn't even know what I look like so I could edit any picture onto my licence, that's why it'd make more sense to show it in person surely? I would always ask to see the V5 but when I'm at the address not interrogate people before I've even seen the thing. Think I'll just leave it, there'll be others I've got a decent motor no point risking fraud or buying a dodgy car. I suspect its due to the fact I said I was bringing a mechanic mustve thrown him off as he said nothing about showing licence before that.

Done, I'll let you know if I get a response, basically going to arrange a viewing, if he asks for driving licence will offer him my Alibaba police man badge instead and see where that lands us 🤣

I mean I suppose so but he doesn't even know what I look like so I could edit any picture onto my licence, that's why it'd make more sense to show it in person surely? I would always ask to see the V5 but when I'm at the address not interrogate people before I've even seen the thing. Think I'll just leave it, there'll be others I've got a decent motor no point risking fraud or buying a dodgy car. I suspect its due to the fact I said I was bringing a mechanic mustve thrown him off as he said nothing about showing licence before that.
I would not do that, until you know he's not a scammer how can you rule out he doesn't want a picture of you so as soon as you roll up near the area someone can rob you - this is exactly how these scams use to go down a few years back.

I feel bad for generalising here, he could well be completely legit and perhaps trying to protect his own interests by validating you, but it's a disproportionate request and should be one that's reciprocal given the history of car related crimes in this part of London through Gum Tree.

Ah yes, mentioning the mechanic would have got him twitchy, he most likely wants to throw you off with difficulties. Or fears you're going to nit pick/give him a hard time, best thing to do is not mention a mechanic friend buddy and just surprise them.

Personally if I was selling a car and got a free health check done by a mechanic I'd count myself lucky.

On the other hand given that you're just asked to view without an intention to buy could have concerned him too that you're equally there to just scam him, hence asking for validation.

Last edited:
I would not do that, until you know he's not a scammer how can you rule out he doesn't want a picture of you so as soon as you roll up near the area someone can rob you - this is exactly how these scams use to go down a few years back.

I feel bad for generalising here, he could well be completely legit and perhaps trying to protect his own interests by validating you, but it's a disproportionate request and should be one that's reciprocal given the history of car related crimes in this part of London through Gum Tree.

Ah yes, mentioning the mechanic would have got him twitchy, he most likely wants to throw you off with difficulties. Or fears you're going to nit pick/give him a hard time, best thing to do is not mention a mechanic friend buddy and just surprise them.

Personally if I was selling a car and got a free health check done by a mechanic I'd count myself lucky.

On the other hand given that you're just asked to view without an intention to buy could have concerned him too that you're equally there to just scam him, hence asking for validation.
Exactly, he has no other selling history on the app for me to go by, just a phone number... Anything could happen like you said, could Rob me, he could even sign up for a bunch of stuff in my name and use my address. I'd be none the wiser! They would have everything on a driving licence to falsely use my full identification.

He could well be legit as you said but most normal legitimate people wouldn't ask for such details, as it serves them no purpose other than to use it fraudulently or commit a crime. I'm the one purchasing the vehicle so if anything the buyer is at higher risk so should be more entitled to such validations in my opinion.

I'm not someone who nit picks but seeing as it's a Category N vehicle, it's essential that you ensure its been repaired properly. Hence the need to bring a mechanic or someone that knows what they're doing in regards to checking these kinds of things. If the car is as it has been advertised, he should nave nothing to worry about mechanic or no mechanic 🤷‍♂️.

I had every intention of buying but I wouldn't commit before viewing a vehicle as I'd assume most people would. Don't want to seem to eager and could be nothing like it is advertised. Until you see it you just don't know, so therefore cannot commit to buying it until then.

It seems to me a not unreasonable request to ask to see some ID from a buyer, but only on arrival, not in advance. Then again, I don't live in east London...

O
It seems to me a not unreasonable request to ask to see some ID from a buyer, but only on arrival, not in advance. Then again, I don't live in east London...
I can understand why the private seller want to avoid time-wasters, and as Pontoneer said, I'd send him a scan of my driving license with some of the details redacted, saying I'll bring the original with me.

Update*
Milage turned out to be genuine I spoke to the DVA and they sent the MOT history confirming the milage....

So, to satisfy everyone's curiosity, that's the DVA as in NI DVA? So this was an NI car up to 3 years ago? And the plate is the original NI registration, not private plate?

And why exactly would you have such a thing.....? 🤔 😯 :D
Haha I was wondering when someone would pick me up on this, but exactly for this sort of thing really, when buying a Maine Coon kitten at the start of this year the amount of dodgy people I came across, I wasn't comfortable with them having my personal mobile number as I also use that for work purposes.

I had someone asking me to visit them in central London to exchange £1200 for a kitten, whose pics I had reserve searched and found to be stolen for a breeder in Scotland. At which point I said sure, I'll come visit you in-between my shifts, but don't be alarmed if I turn up in a marked vehicle.

The communication abruptly stopped, and the lads advert disappeared within seconds. I'd rather these type of people have some random PAYG SIM card number than my actual personal line.

Haha I was wondering when someone would pick me up on this, but exactly for this sort of thing really, when buying a Maine Coon kitten at the start of this year the amount of dodgy people I came across, I wasn't comfortable with them having my personal mobile number as I also use that for work purposes.

I had someone asking me to visit them in central London to exchange £1200 for a kitten, whose pics I had reserve searched and found to be stolen for a breeder in Scotland. At which point I said sure, I'll come visit you in-between my shifts, but don't be alarmed if I turn up in a marked vehicle.

The communication abruptly stopped, and the lads advert disappeared within seconds. I'd rather these type of people have some random PAYG SIM card number than my actual personal line.

Well, I have a 'burner' email address... :D but it's not half as cool as a burner simcard!

I can understand why the private seller want to avoid time-wasters,

Can't any one who doesn't actually buy be accused of being a time waster?
Years ago I drove 120 miles each way to pick up a dinghy trailer I had bid for.
The wheel bearing had so much play I wouldn't put others lives in danger by driving it back, and I had specifically asked. Guess what, I was a' time wasting tw*t' according to his feedback. Of course i could have dome w/o wasting anyone's time.

To my mind numpties kicking tyres is just the chance a seller takes.
Oil in the coolant ++ is too far though.

Well, I have a 'burner' email address... :D but it's not half as cool as a burner simcard!
I have those too, it's how I got the owners number off Gum Tree 😂

However I can both text and make voice calls from the number and validate it's a UK number (redirecting has a different tone so it's obvious) and if it's a low functioning criminal their number is likely to be linked to their WhatsApp and other social media where you find additional info without making a request or them being aware...

I have a 2nd sim for same reason. At the end of dealing it goes dormant.
I have a 2nd eBay account so the abusers can't ruin my reputation on the primary account.

I have a 2nd sim for same reason. At the end of dealing it goes dormant.
I have a 2nd eBay account so the abusers can't ruin my reputation on the primary account.
2nd SIM - is that just having a second phone with a PAYG SIM? I still have an old 6310 purely as a back-up phone........

Reactions: m80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom