Help - my tyre has shredded on on one side

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beaker218

Car
C257 CLS 2019
I was just now washing the car and noticed that one side of my front tyre has shredded (see pic). The tyre is a P Zero 275/30 20r run flat. I need to get to the tyre place but its 7 miles away. Obviously I would drive very slowly but does anyone know how dangerous it is for me to drive the 7 miles. I hoping that as it is a run flat it will get me there OK.

Attachments

• Tyre.JPG
    Tyre.JPG
    774.4 KB · Views: 109
Put it this way, if the police stopped you they'd seize the car on the spot.

Phone around for some Tyre Places that come to you for fitting

Call “Tyres on the Drive”. They fitted 4 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s’s To my C63 yesterday and were excellent.

Well worn on the outer both sides.

You often get this when tyres are under-inflated and still applies to run-flats!

I was just now washing the car and noticed that one side of my front tyre has shredded (see pic). The tyre is a P Zero 275/30 20r run flat. I need to get to the tyre place but its 7 miles away. Obviously I would drive very slowly but does anyone know how dangerous it is for me to drive the 7 miles. I hoping that as it is a run flat it will get me there OK.
Have you checked the tyre clearances, that tyre damage looks like it has been rubbing on a bolt/nut to me.

Heavy wear (due to poor or extreme geometry or incorrect inflation) will give the same result - those tyres are well worn.

I would get the geometry,checked possibly on a Hunter machine,as for the tyre well not a great lover of P zero's ,but it is just legal IMHO and unlikely to blow on the way to a tyre fitters.

Really grateful for all of the replies chaps.

The damage has not been caused by over-inflating or under-inflating though as I have always checked the pressures regularly. Anyway, the damage isn't through wear as it just seems that an entire centimetre strip running across the tyre and 3mm around the circumference has been cut away. The other front tyre is fine although only has 2.5mm tread just like the damaged one. I have checked for bolts and there are none there that would have caused the damage. I avoid speed bumps whenever I can so I don't really know what could have caused it

OMG now I am worried! The car is only just over 2 years old.

If it was a failed control arm though would I have not felt vibration in the steering wheel or the car would have wondered a bit? I have had a quick look behind the tyre and cant see any visible signs of wear or damage.

The car was a demo and 8 months old when i bought it from Bristol MB dealer and it had done 5k miles so who knows who had driven it before I bought it.

Yea I know 2.5mm is bad but they will both be replaced by the weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom