HelP!!! W163: Engine shut down in the middle of the road, wouldn't start up again..but finally did!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
UPDATE: Driven it today for about 20 minutes going around the neighborhood (too afraid to take it farther). Started and drove like a charm for the whole time. I started it and turned it off another 10 times also because the key got stuck in the ignition again.. No lights on the dash..not even the BAS/ESP..

The cranksensor arrived but it was the wrong one... need to order another. :( ..

will keep you all posted (not that you would want to, you probably got bored with this) but just to keep you amused.
We won't get bored , these kind of threads help others make buying decisions, and yes, they keep us amused. You might get bored before us and end up selling the thing :p

I may be able to help the OP out. I need to offload my 163. It's failed it's MOT on smoke (I can't see any) and I cannot be bothered to do any more with it (I ran some injector cleaner through it and gave it a good service with genuine MB oil which didn't work, it failed again). Most of the problem is the fact that it hasn't been used for ages and I want to get rid before the insurance needs renewing next month.
As the car has had new bilstein shocks all round in the last few thousand miles, has good matching Continental tyres with c.6mm tread on (235, not 275 too), a westfalia detachable towbar, new quality battery (due to lack of use), remapped to approx 210bhp (Transformed the car), nice double din DAB radio, "inspiration" spec AND it actually runs all the time. Bad points are bodywork related (Most panels have rust or marks, rear bumper has a hole, replacement bumper in the garden!). I am sure it makes a better base as a project than the OPs. Open to offers!
Otherwise, good luck with your plans.

I may be able to help the OP out. I need to offload my 163. It's failed it's MOT on smoke (I can't see any) and I cannot be bothered to do any more with it (I ran some injector cleaner through it and gave it a good service with genuine MB oil which didn't work, it failed again). Most of the problem is the fact that it hasn't been used for ages and I want to get rid before the insurance needs renewing next month.
As the car has had new bilstein shocks all round in the last few thousand miles, has good matching Continental tyres with c.6mm tread on (235, not 275 too), a westfalia detachable towbar, new quality battery (due to lack of use), remapped to approx 210bhp (Transformed the car), nice double din DAB radio, "inspiration" spec AND it actually runs all the time. Bad points are bodywork related (Most panels have rust or marks, rear bumper has a hole, replacement bumper in the garden!). I am sure it makes a better base as a project than the OPs. Open to offers!
Otherwise, good luck with your plans.
Hello Martyn

Not sure about that. I need to think.

As I said previously, it sounds as though you may have a key issue - with no dash lights, it certainly sound like it now.
I think in this case "no dash lights" is a good thing. No warning lights are lit up, rather than there are no lights at all, is my interpretation, which still points to CPS. They can be evil things to remove though. You won't know until you try!

The car has already switched itself off on a roundabout, and the key has yet again been stuck. Next time it happens, it may lock the steering wheel. :eek:

I think in this case "no dash lights" is a good thing. No warning lights are lit up, rather than there are no lights at all, is my interpretation, which still points to CPS. They can be evil things to remove though. You won't know until you try!
He did say “no lights”. That to me means nothing, nada, no light at all! And the key gets stuck. Personally, I would fix this issue first 🤷‍♂️

He did say “no lights”. That to me means nothing, nada, no light at all! And the key gets stuck. Personally, I would fix this issue first 🤷‍♂️
Hello Dickster

That was my fault my friend, I meant no warning lights on the dash. My apologies.

I understand who the cylinder wouldn't recognize the key and hence kill the engine. But why would it not let the key come out of the lock barrel? Also as soon as it died, I turned the key in the ignition (I'm actually surprised by my reflexes), the starter would turn -I could hear it-, all warning lights would come on as usual on start up but the engine wouldn't fire up.

The key will not be released until `Park` is engaged..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom