Help... wheel bearing cap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darren1717

Car
CLC 180K Sport. C class Sport. Audi A5 Sportback.
Hi all

After a little advice from anyone in the know;
I am changing the front discs and pads on a CLC, and believe one of the bearings may need a very small amount of tightening on the nut whilst doing the job... the wheel has a small but noticeable movement when rocked between 12 and 6, and the wheel spins a bit too easily. (Bearing is fine and quiet).

The question is, should the hub cap itself be packed with mb265.1?
I ask as the cap is currently very empty and clean, no sign of grease ever living in the cap itself. (The bearing itself well packed with bright green Mb grease). I have read on some forums that the cap should be left empty (which mine seem to be), but others say to pack 15g grease in the cap.

Confused! :wallbash:

Thanks
Darren

The cap should not be packed with grease only the bearing.

The cap should not be packed with grease only the bearing.

... which would concur with the actual condition of the car.
Thanks 190.

Not sure where people are getting the 15g in cap info from?!?

I will use grease in my caps but not to much as car is used the grease can if packed in can get in to the braking syctem

Hi Optimus
Does the grease in the cap do anything? It’s a high temperature melting point, so as far as I can see, it has no way of actually getting from the cap into the bearing in the first place... unless by centrifugal force or something? (I’m no expert!)

I do see an advantage of putting a very small wipe of grease on the hub cap lip when refitting, so as to provide a further watertight seal

There definitely seems to be 2 schools of thought on this!

Think its more of a seal from h20.

Think its more of a seal from h20.
I will use grease in my caps but not to much as car is used the grease can if packed in can get in to the braking syctem

Not sure how grease from the hub can get onto the brakes. Care to elaborate.?

The obvious question is does MB put grease in the cap at the factory. As far as I can see the answer is no or not much. There was a little in there on mine but it didn't look like it had been done with the intention that it would find it's way to the bearing. A little will do no harm but to fill the grease cap on the assumption that it will feed the bearing most certainly should not be done as it will cause overheating.

The obvious question is does MB put grease in the cap at the factory. As far as I can see the answer is no or not much. There was a little in there on mine but it didn't look like it had been done with the intention that it would find it's way to the bearing. A little will do no harm but to fill the grease cap on the assumption that it will feed the bearing most certainly should not be done as it will cause overheating.

I think I’ll leave it empty... can’t see the point in putting anything, 15g or other, into the cap itself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom